Thread: 225 gr barnes tsx for black bears

Default 225 gr barnes tsx for black bears

has anyone ever used this bullets on a black bear? i can get 3,000 fps from a 340 wby mag. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner378 View Post
    has anyone ever used this bullets on a black bear? i can get 3,000 fps from a 340 wby mag. thanks
    At those velocities and with that bullet you don't have to ask any body's opinion about what it will do on a black bear, IT WILL DO IT FOR SURE!!!!!! All you got to do is go kill one now.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

gunner, most black bears don't want to be shot with something that heavy and fast. The ones I am familiar with are prone to be agreeable with the .30-30 and some Partition or hardcast bullet.....a mutual respect/relationship proven for many yrs. Been thinking though "dead is dead" maybe such a thing as over gunned but not over dead! good luck.

you are right guys, it it a bit much on a black. i killde a black bear 45 years ago with a 7.7 jap. was just wondering if anyone used the 225 tsx on bears. i think a 250 gr isn't necessary. lol. thanks

There are few game animals I would feel that combo woud limit my shots on, and none of them live in NA. That will handily take any and all AK game, and at ranges that most folks can no longer acccurately place the pill.

Default works great

I shot a blackie in pws a couple years ago with my 338 RUM with a 225 tsx and it worked great. The ballistics between mine and a 340 wetherby are real close. that blackie dropped on the spot never even twitched. around 200 yard shot broadside just behind the shoulders. Hillbilly

Thumbs up yes.....

A few years ago I put one through both shoulders of a small black bear. Range was about 40 yards and the .338 MV was about 2840 fps. He folded and rolled down the hill. Bullet passed through.

killed the biggest black bear with a .338 win mag and the 210 Partition, busted the onside shoulder and exited behind the off. done a 180 and ran about 75 yds....dead. Been bothering our moose camp for 3 days and was just getting too close for any more certainties of any kind.

They are especially thin skinned and mass is not great, my .30-30AI, .30-06 have been taking them for many yrs. with ease....good eating meat when the berries change there taste! Many times better than moose it seems...could have been needing the taste of fresh meat

oh well, dead is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    killed the biggest black bear with a .338 win mag and the 210 Partition, busted the onside shoulder and exited behind the off. done a 180 and ran about 75 yds....dead. Been bothering our moose camp for 3 days and was just getting too close for any more certainties of any kind.

They are especially thin skinned and mass is not great, my .30-30AI, .30-06 have been taking them for many yrs. with ease....good eating meat when the berries change there taste! Many times better than moose it seems...could have been needing the taste of fresh meat

oh well, dead is dead.
    Yes, I like bear meat also when the black bear have feed for a couple of months on pair in Arizona. The best meat I ever eat, really good stuff.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

We took two black bears last May with 225 grain Barnes X bullets. I'm confident the TSXs or TTSXs will do just fine on everything in Alaska.

I have hunted black bear for years in Arizona and everyone was killed with a 30-06 and a 165gr bullet and all were exits. There is no doubt that a 225gr TSX will not only go through from side to side and exit but more than likely if you took a Texas heart shot you would have a complete pass through the bear at 340Wby velocities. If a 165gr bullet will pass through a 400 pound bear the 225gr TSX could pass through two standing side by side.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

How long of a shot are you planning for your Black Bear. This is certainly over kill... depending on the distance of your shot you may think about throwing a decent soft bullet down range ie "a round nose core lock". At the velocity you are talking about with an X bullet it will blow right thru. Don't get me wrong I love the x bullet and use it on moose where I hunt, but you may get more bang for your buck with a soft bullet. Just a thought.

THat's what I was thinking. Very tough bullet, I doubt it will expand much on BB size game. My experience is almost always pass through shots on moose.

KK

Default thanks guys

shots might be out to 250 on black bears, i have a 378 wby and don't want to take it for just blacks. the 340 is ss another reason and like how accurate these x bullets shoot. thanks again

Default Blackies

I know a few have said that its overkill but dont under estimate the toughness of these alaska black bear. Ive seen a few run off never to be found because of poor bullet placement or poor bullet performance. I would rather anchor them in their tracks than crawl threw devils club with a pistol looking for a ticked off bear. Hillbilly

I think the notion of overkill is silly. No animal I've ever killed with the 338 WM has complained about being shot with too large a caliber. As for those who believe the Barnes bullets won't expand on black bear size game, I have killed seven Sitka blacktails at various ranges with 225 grain X-bullets and in all cases the bullets expanded appropriately. Ditto for caribou, moose, goat, brown, and grizzly bears. No bullet is perfect but I've had really good performance with Barnes bullets. There's nothin wrong with shootin black bears with 225 grain bullets.

The Barnes bullets expand immediately on impact, every time. 225 grains will kill a brownie just fine, not to mention a black bear. I use 150's for deer, goat, sheep,etc. 225's for elk, moose, bear, anything else. Those all copper Barnes slugs have been the most reliable of anything I've used. Usually 100% weight retention 9 out of 10 times with that beautiful four petal claw shape. I made some lighter loads for my 300saum so I could get some of my bullets back.