Thread: New M1 Garand value

Washington state

Default New M1 Garand value

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this or not but I have afriend who now owns a CMP Garand rifle. I want to buy and he wants to sell and we are trying to arrive at a fair price. It came from CMP last year and I think the last price for this grade was $950. This is a certified Correct Grade rifle, an H&R with all parts at approximate same date of manuf and all H&R. I believe that is the way the correct grade is from the CMP web site.

These are going up in price and may be restricted in the future with the current administration. Also the future of the CMP may be in jeopardy. Not get too political here but just want a realistic value of this very nice rifle. It is serial number 5,6xx,xxx and I think that is early 1950's. The gun looks new and has been shot very little. It is a true old garand rifle specimen.

What are you thoughts about value for this dying breed?

Default Do you feel lucky?

Off the CMP site a service grade HR is $595 So if you want a "correct" H&R, can you exchange X number of parts for $355 less shipping ($950 - 595 and shipping). Or get a for sure thing for $950. I paid about 2X the DCM price for my first M1 because I wanted one NOW to start shooting Highpower and because I knew exactly what the condition of the rifle was.

I'm very pleased with my post war M1's. I have a "luck of the draw" high number service grade SA. It's the best finished M1 I own. My second best is a high number service grade H&R, again "luck of the draw". I requested certain serial number ranges when I placed my orders and was lucky enough to get those requested rifles. They may not be 100%, but they are very close. "Take with a grain of salt..." I don't think the latter M1's were tore down and parts exchanged, overhauled, etc. like the early M1's were. Much better chance of getting one closer to original and in better condition from the latter M1's.

My "worst" M1 was a select grade. Lady luck wasn't with me on that buy. I waited for almost two years for it and I was pretty disappointed. You never know when you can't look the rifle over first!

Good luck.

Arco, Idaho

Default CMP rifle values...

I wouldn't give more than the current price + shipping for the grade as listed by CMP.
    The H&R 'Correct' grade guns have been some pretty darned nice rifles, but I wonder if they're worth the extra money.
    Currently, the wait for rifles from CMP is 'around' three months. I ordered one mid-December (a service grade H&R) and have yet to receive it, nor the ammunition I ordered at the same time. I've heard that orders increased there on the order of 500% overnight since the election and haven't let up, and they haven't hired additional staff to handle the orders or shipping.
    Up to you, but again, I wouldn't give more than what I could get one from CMP for unless it was a REALLY good friend!

From what I read on the CMP site the back orders have gone from a few weeks to several months or to out of stock status. If it is really nice you might have to pay a premium and still get a bargain. The future of that organization is uncertain as well and any future supply of these guns may be in peril of the torch. I wouldn't hesitate to pay $1000 to $1200 for such a rifle. Most of the better correct grade guns are H&R in that 5.2 to 5.8 serial number range.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up Garand

Well, given the current climate and the low supply, Yes +/- $1000 would be a VERY fair price. Compared to the $1200-1500 generic ARs, absolutely a better way to go, my opinion! If you sign up for a CMP gun, sometimes you get the peanuts and sometimes you get the shells... that's if you get one? As others have said the future of the whole CMP program is unknown. Assuming this gun can be inspected then double yes. If you can check it all out before hand that will account for a lot of peace of mind. The post-Korea SA and HRA guns are generally in good shape and usually better than most of the early multi-mixmasters that are common. WWII, TOP CONDITION Garands are relatively uncommon, hidden in collections, seldom seen and mucho expensive when they do show up. The only thing I've seen hurt any of the Garands is wrong ammo abuse and/or wrong cleaning techniques. IMO the Garand is one of the finest issue rifles ever.