Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: 358Win Ruger M77 Hawkeye - WOW!!!

  1. #1

    Default 358Win Ruger M77 Hawkeye - WOW!!!

    Consistency is the key and if it is obtained to any acceptable degree with an out of the box hunting rifle you just smile real big.

    I have settled on a load which is compressed (powder comes almost to the bottom of the neck in the Winchester 358Win case). AA2495 using 46.5grs, Winchester brass, Fed 215primers, in front of a 225gr Sierra Game King SBT, moving on average at 2420fps and is one consistent round, time after time at the range on different days and temps.

    I can't tell you how I am looking forward to using this next fall during hunting season. I have also practiced a few times standing and hitting plastic quart jars filled with water and have not missed the six shots I took with my hunting load at 100yds. Love this rifle, cartridge and load. It just naturally fits me is the best way to describe it.

    I have a saying I made up, because it has nothing to due with luck when you buy and out of the box rifle and it shoots good. "No matter how well made and expensive the rifle or how good you are with the technical variables at the reloading bench, they can not make up for you not being a good shot. On the other hand a good shot can make up for the lack of an expensive rifle when using an out of the box hunting rifle, even while ignoring or overlooking some variables at the reloading bench."

    I have fired now 15 groups with this load and here are some pictures of the rifle again, also, largest group with this load, some of the average groups with this load and then the smallest group.








    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  2. #2

    Default

    The Rifle Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 358Win with Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20mm.







    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  3. #3

    Default

    Many Rugers don't start shooting there best until 100 or so rounds are downt he barrel. My Ruger 270 turned into a completely different rifle after I crossed the 100 mark. In fact last Friday I shot a group that measured less then .4". So look forward to the 358 getting even better.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RugerM77.270 View Post
    Many Rugers don't start shooting there best until 100 or so rounds are downt he barrel. My Ruger 270 turned into a completely different rifle after I crossed the 100 mark. In fact last Friday I shot a group that measured less then .4". So look forward to the 358 getting even better.
    I have heard that about he Rugers and even my Mk II's after a while of shooting them they got better. I am looking for even more consistency as time goes on. Glad I got this M77 and especially in 358Win.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    foothills of the Brooks Range
    Posts
    639

    Default

    seems to be a favored caliber in a few sites, not sure if it meets my hunting needs here in the foothills but.........that is a very good shooter and a keeper! good for you!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    seems to be a favored caliber in a few sites, not sure if it meets my hunting needs here in the foothills but.........that is a very good shooter and a keeper! good for you!
    Thanks grizz, the balance and how it fits my ergonomics is really nice and the Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20mm is an awesome scope. This Leupold just adds to the balance and feel of the rifle which in my opinion impacts my ability to shoot well with confidence while making un-supported standing shot as quickly as possible.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Yukon Canada
    Posts
    1,289

    Default ok

    ok im jealous! Beartooth in my mind you have the best hunting rig money can buy! The 358 is my favorite cal. I had one in a savage, in a moment of insanity i sold it! then i got a BLR it wasnt reliable so sold it. Being lefthanded i went for the next best thing a tikka 338 federal. it aint a 358 but close. I shot a lot of game with my 358s, my favorite bullet was the 250 nosler, i killed a big bison one year, at 60 yards 1 shot bison didnt take one step! that is the 358!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    ok im jealous! Beartooth in my mind you have the best hunting rig money can buy! The 358 is my favorite cal. I had one in a savage, in a moment of insanity i sold it! then i got a BLR it wasnt reliable so sold it. Being lefthanded i went for the next best thing a tikka 338 federal. it aint a 358 but close. I shot a lot of game with my 358s, my favorite bullet was the 250 nosler, i killed a big bison one year, at 60 yards 1 shot bison didnt take one step! that is the 358!
    I like what you said "THAT IS THE 358!" That is what every one of my friends who use the 358win have said in essence. I used the 35 Whelen for two years and it was a killer. I can't wait to go hunting with the 358.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  9. #9

    Default

    Outstanding setup BT!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 340Wby View Post
    Outstanding setup BT!
    Thanks 340Wby, will have a lot of fun an success with the rifle and cartridge.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  11. #11
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default I like to see the interes in the .358

    Hello there gentleman. It's darn good to see so many people that shoot the .358 Winchester. Not many folks out there are as unique as us. A lot of folks would view the .358 as insufficient, or an oddball cartridge, or "too much of a pain to find ammo" , and worse....too slow! Some outdoor writers have went so far as to brand the cartridge as a "brush cartridge". If you talk to anyone who owns and hunts with the 358 Winchester you'll hear a different story. Here's what we 358 owners define the cartridge as: "Powerful enough for anything in North America and capable of 300 yard shots; an intermediate range cartridge." All from carbines with a 6-7 lb weight and an 18-20 inch barrel. Did I define it right folks? I sight mine it at about 2.5" high at 100. The bullets hit dead on at 200 and are about 8.5 inches low at 300. This is the trajecory of a 250 grain Hornady out of a 20 in. barrel! The rifling is a 1:12 twist too, a little bit faster than the Whelen's 1:16 twist. I sure would like to see some pics of game animals that all of you have harvested with your .358s. I'm sure the ones that do use the 358 are unique, intelligent people with freezers full of meat. I have a pic of my 358 over in the canoe forum under this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=48440

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Hello there gentleman. It's darn good to see so many people that shoot the .358 Winchester. Not many folks out there are as unique as us. A lot of folks would view the .358 as insufficient, or an oddball cartridge, or "too much of a pain to find ammo" , and worse....too slow! Some outdoor writers have went so far as to brand the cartridge as a "brush cartridge". If you talk to anyone who owns and hunts with the 358 Winchester you'll hear a different story. Here's what we 358 owners define the cartridge as: "Powerful enough for anything in North America and capable of 300 yard shots; an intermediate range cartridge." All from carbines with a 6-7 lb weight and an 18-20 inch barrel. Did I define it right folks? I sight mine it at about 2.5" high at 100. The bullets hit dead on at 200 and are about 8.5 inches low at 300. This is the trajecory of a 250 grain Hornady out of a 20 in. barrel! The rifling is a 1:12 twist too, a little bit faster than the Whelen's 1:16 twist. I sure would like to see some pics of game animals that all of you have harvested with your .358s. I'm sure the ones that do use the 358 are unique, intelligent people with freezers full of meat. I have a pic of my 358 over in the canoe forum under this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=48440
    Nice moose on the ground and I see that Browning BLR 358Win did the trick. Thanks for the link to the picture.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  13. #13
    Member pinehavensredrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I have heard that about he Rugers and even my Mk II's after a while of shooting them they got better. I am looking for even more consistency as time goes on. Glad I got this M77 and especially in 358Win.

    beartooth; I WANT ONE!
    happy trails.
    jh

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    beartooth; I WANT ONE!
    Easy enough, Ruger is still making them and before they discontinue it for some unknown reason and stop chambering the 358Win (stranger things have happened) if I were you I would get one. Make sure you put a good scope on it like the Leupold VX-III.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  15. #15

    Thumbs up bad memories....

    Years ago I bought a beautiful Dakota 76 in caliber .358 Win. for a mere 600.00, no kidding. Since I knew the guy, when he came to his senses I sold it back to him for 600.00. About 3 months later he traded it off. Woe is me! It was a wonderful rifle. Your's looks great. Any plans to put some high quality iron sights on it? Have fun with your new rifle!

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Years ago I bought a beautiful Dakota 76 in caliber .358 Win. for a mere 600.00, no kidding. Since I knew the guy, when he came to his senses I sold it back to him for 600.00. About 3 months later he traded it off. Woe is me! It was a wonderful rifle. Your's looks great. Any plans to put some high quality iron sights on it? Have fun with your new rifle!
    No, I have no plans to put any iron sights on it. If something happens to the scope, I always carry and extra on trips I take out in the wild for extended stays. Also, if for some reason it breaks and I don't have time in a very close encounter, I just look down the side of the barrel and it works for anything out to 40yds easy (the furthest I have tried it). I have practiced with this technique through out he years on five gallon cans and on two occasions on hogs purposefully tried it up close even though my scope was ok and I killed the hogs.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  17. #17
    Member pinehavensredrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Easy enough, Ruger is still making them and before they discontinue it for some unknown reason and stop chambering the 358Win (stranger things have happened) if I were you I would get one. Make sure you put a good scope on it like the Leupold VX-III.
    hi beartooth; thanks for the tip...........i checked my local dealer and he can't find one (with his distributors). gunsamerica has one "all weather" bun none in walnut.

    i will keep looking.
    happy trails.
    jh

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    hi beartooth; thanks for the tip...........i checked my local dealer and he can't find one (with his distributors). gunsamerica has one "all weather" bun none in walnut.

    i will keep looking.
    I hope you can find one.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.
    Posts
    120

    Default

    God must have invented the .358 caliber..,Oh, the magic..! Beartooth, that's some fine grouping... not to mention it was shot through only 5x glass.., nice job.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    God must have invented the .358 caliber..,Oh, the magic..! Beartooth, that's some fine grouping... not to mention it was shot through only 5x glass.., nice job.

    Interesting you said, "Oh, the magic..! What is so cool is I named this rifle (as I do all my rifles) before I even got it "Mr. Magic." And after I did that posted on the forum that I hoped it would live up to it's name.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •