Thread: lund with a jet

Question lund with a jet

Ive seen folks do this before and looks like it works. Any body tried. I just got a nice forty horse merc proped prob Late 90s 2 stroke and I scored a 16 foot lund laying in a guys back yard I know it floats cuz its holds water with the plug in. Anybody running something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    Ive seen folks do this before and looks like it works. Any body tried. I just got a nice forty horse merc proped prob Late 90s 2 stroke and I scored a 16 foot lund laying in a guys back yard I know it floats cuz its holds water with the plug in. Anybody running something like this.
    There are several Lunds up here with outboard jets on them. For the most part they work ok, but are load sensitive. They track very well, but tend to dig the sides when turning. They don't slide like a wide flat bottom boat. Rule of thumb, too, is that a 16 foot boat does not make a good river boat. Yours may be fine with a light load (2 people max), but it's performance and planing ability will suffer after that. With just you and a fishing pole, no problem.

For those reasons, those that have Lunds outboard jet powered, use 18 or 20 foot boats.

Nate
    Nome

There are two basic Lund styles......S16 & S18 would work for you purpose but the SSV-16 and SSV-18 have a modereate amount of vee to the hull bottom and probably would not work as well.

Default Lund hull with a jet

I have used a Lund hull with a jet outboard. I seen jet outboards used in WA and AK and thought I would like to do that in WI on some rivers during the summer when we get low water and fish head into holes. I used a Lund 16 ft. Mr. Pike with a soft chine and flat bottoms, using a Merc. 90hp (65jet) which pushed the boat along at 32mph on GPS WOT. I used 3/16 aluminum form a U as transom jack. I found out that the 3/16 cracked after two season. I doubled the plating and put supports to motor well and that jack worked fine. I could even pull a light water skier. You learn things as you go along! First, I talked with the people at San Leandro and they said I could do better with a hard chine. Next I learned that it was not hard to convert an outboard to a jet outboard. Etc.

In the Midwest jet outboards are very rare. I have had a least 10 fisherman come up and give me condolences about having lost my engine prop. I eventually sold the Mr. Pike, jet engine and jack. I shipped the jack to AK. I now own a 17ft. flat bottom Alumaweld with a Merc. 200 (150 jet) which will do about 47 mph on GPS WOT.

Good luck on your conversion. My personal feeling is that a guy can get by with a riveted hull for light use. It is a great way to start out. The conversion can be done very economically if you do the switch on the engine yourself and have a friend who does aluminum work.

Talking Thanks

I think it will work for what I need. Light enuff to skidd down the bank and slap on the motor. Easy for 2 or 3 drag around. Ill use just for that a couple poles and a bud or two. It will be used for leaving up the river and just playing with. And its totally cheap. Ill bring the outboard back to town during the winter. I love cruising a beater next to the guy that just spent 20k on an 18 foot skiff with 150!

Default Lots of jetted Lunds...

... out in the Dillingham area. Mostly 18 footers though. I have spent many happy hours cruising the Wood River lakes in a friend's jet Lund with large loads of gear and meat. He had a 70 Yammi hung off the transom with a steel plate. We did fine.

I think the post by Frostbit pretty much hit the nail on the head. My family has an 18 foot SSV-18 with a sixty horse jet. When its light it will go pretty fast but when you load it up dont be in any hurry. Even with the extra vee on this model I have pretty much went everywhere that I did in either a Lowe or Roughneck. It also handles really rough water way better than the previous boats that I mentioned but thats obvious due to the vee hull. Like Sayak I have run this setup all over the Wood River lakes with big loads and the boat did fine. Although I think a Yamaha 90 two stroke would be the ticket might have to buy one and see...........

I know this one's kinda dated but I have one of those Dilly jetted Lunds. Ihave a 60 powerhead (40 at jet) Yamaha four stroke set up on a jack plate on an older 18 foot lund. (flat back....no keel at the transom) and done right she will actually slide. Runs a ton of gear at about 22-24 mph and can go about 28 when she's light (two guys and fishin stuff)

I painted the bottom with Gluvit (two part epoxy for marine application sealing) and she skipps off rocks pretty as you please and no leaks. The nice thing about the lunds is that they are generally light, handle big water great, haul nice loads, are cheap used, are plenty fixable ( i put new wood, and forty rivets in her in a weekend) and you don't have to poop yourself when you scratch it into the gravel beach for fear of mucking up your pretty hull.

I love it, great set up. Really don't think a 90/65 would offer up all that much more for the increased cost/weight/ fuel consumption. A 40/30 makes em a dog (ok on a 16) but the 60/40 is a great set up. I can even backtroll for kings with this rig (and well). She burns around 4 gallons per hour and jets almost as well as a flatbottom but without the good slides.
    Last edited by Catch It; 06-06-2009 at 14:35. Reason: spelling

Default 16' Lund ssv with 35 Tohatsu

For anyone wondering how these work. I live in Yellowknife, NWT Canada on the shore of Great Slave Lake. There are rocks everywhere here so knocking off legs is quite common but on the other hand GSL is the 11th biggest in the world so I was looking for a do everything boat. This setup 16' lund ssv with (50 powerhead) 35 at jet, does about 30mph with 1-2 people and fishing gear, but only 22-23 mph with 4 people and beer on calm water. It has gone on 80-85 mile trips (within a few miles of shore) to the east arm of great slave lake. It has been on local rivers in less than 1 ft of water where props could not go. It will cavitate sometimes when driving with 2-3 ft waves, but I was stuck in 5-6 ft waves and heading into them I did not cavitate once. As has been posted before this boat needs to be loaded correctly for optimum performance with the jet drive and you will notice extra weight much more than with a prop driven engine. This setup is definitely louder than a 4 stroke prop driven boat, but will handle big water just about as well, and shallow water travel is a no-brainer as this is much better. This is an excellent set-up for travel on smaller lakes, rivers or shallow waterways. I think if you don't mind the extra price tag a 90 (at the head) 60 jet on a lund ssv-18 would be about as good an all-purpose work/outdoorsman boat as you could find for use in our northern areas.