Thread: Steelhead Fishing

Default Steelhead Fishing

I've been steelhead fishing down at Anchor river and Deep Creek and have plans to go tommorrow. The fishing has been great and it's very addictive to say the least. Just checking to see if anyone else does some steelhead fishing around the area.
    Marc Theiler

Default steelhead

i have always wanted to go to the anchor, its just a long drive from fairbanks. how many miles of water can you fish/how is the wading? and how is the fishing pressure? one more question, how much longer will the steelhead be in their??? thanks, Logan

Default Miles & Miles

Quote Originally Posted by zzcanton View Post
    i have always wanted to go to the anchor, its just a long drive from fairbanks. how many miles of water can you fish/how is the wading? and how is the fishing pressure? one more question, how much longer will the steelhead be in their??? thanks, Logan

Yeah, long drive. My wife's relatives live up there, long, long drive.
    You can fish miles and miles of river by wading. As for fishing pressure, there are definately people fishing both Anchor and Deep Creek. I usually run ito anywhere from two to eight people per day, plenty of river though. You will have a chance at the steelies until freeze up.
    Marc Theiler

Default Flies

Hey Marc,

I am still trying to make this trip happen. Got back to work this past weekend and had a family emergency my wife left town for so am home stuck right now. She is coming back this weekend and I was thinking of possibly doing the drive from FBKS to the anchor area next tuesday and wensday. I'd leave after work monday morning, IF I don't take another day off lol.

Question is, what are you using for flies?

Dan

Any recent reports from the anchor river and deep creek -- will be heading down this weekend to try my luck.

Default Should be good

Should be good fising on the Anchor or Deep Creek, just make sure to check the tide and it's a good idea to get their in the early morning.

I simply use the tried and true 10mm pinkish red bead, then depending on the depth and the current I'll add weight as neccessary.

I might try and get out there this week. Now I just need an excuse to go to Homer.
    Marc Theiler

Many thanks for the report and the gear recommendation -- I was thinking of starting with an orange comet as well as experimenting with some flies a friend from Ohio gave me. I will let you all know how the fishing goes -- hopefully good so your trip to Homer will be worthwhile.