Thread: Electric fishing reels?

Default Electric fishing reels?

I had the mis-fortune during the last ice storm of a shoulder injury and don't know how it will be healed for halibut fishing. I have been looking at the Diawa 750MT electric reel, has anyone used these or know of any good or bad news on these?? I have been told they will do great for halibut.

Thank you
    Moose

The proposal before the BoF to ban electric reels appears to have been tabled until the next BoF meeting, so you're safe to buy/use them for another season or two.

I haven't used that particular reel, but I do have a bit of an ethical problem using electrics for halibut. I'm not saying YOU shouldn't, I'm just saying that I wouldn't for personal reasons... maybe I'm just "macho"... One of the arguments used to try and ban electric reels is that it's just not "sporting"... kinda like going out with a full auto .50 cal and chasing deer.

As for electrics and sablefish... I'm all for it. My big Krystal electrics are the only thing I could find that I could spool up with 1200 yards of 80# spectra!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Electric reels

I bought two electric diawa reels, specifically for sablefish. So far so good. I don't see them as any advantage in reeling in halibut though, they won't reel one in for you unless it's 10 pounds. They are good for quick bait checks though.

I bought a daiwa megatwin for the better half, hauled in a 100lb butt easy. Also hauled in a huge skate no problem. costly but she loves it.

I think it is one thing for an able bodied person to use electric reels because they are lazy... I feel that if you are injured that there is nothing wrong with it at all... I think anyone who is hurt, injured, handicapped, and still goes out on the ocean to catch fish is PLENTY "sporting"

Default Just a little more information

I did not want to say anything but I think I have to now. I did hurt my shoulder this winter when I fell during a ICE storm. There is more to the story I am a Disabled Vet and have been reeling halibut in for years with pain and with my new injury I don't know if I will be able to reel in fish this year.

Thank you
    Moose

moose... I am in the same boat .. I am 100% disabled vet thanks to Iraq, I am still going to give it a shot with a regular rod/reel but may have to settle with a electric.. so if you get one ..let me know how it works.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I picked up a used (almost new condition) Miya Epoch electric reel for the wife. She loves to fish, but simply does not have the strength to reel up too much weight from the depths. It is an older model (now discontinued) but in great shape. She has only used it a handful of times, but really loves it !!

Without it, her fishing time would be quite shortened. Before the electric reel, I would reel mine up then finish hers. Now she beats me to the surface and gets to snicker at me tiring as I reel up!!

It has made our fishing journeys much more pleasurable. She can now fish all day with the best of them. And, if she is happy and having fun....we get to stay out longer and go more often!!! It's a win - win situation!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default Electric Reels

We do a lot of Deep Drop fishing here way off the coast of Virginia. A lot of older and/or disabled fishermen could not do it without the aide of an Electramate.

DEAN

I will have to agree with ak billy my friend has six of the miya epoch and they get used hard with no problems search ebay you can get a good deal on one......good fishin to you....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

I got a Diawa Seaborg 500 for the wife at the Sportsmans show. She had a bunch of Lympnodes removed 5 years ago with breast Cancer. Lymphadema makes her ache and swell when fishing halibut and her passion is bottom fishing. I feel I did the right thing by getting her an electric reel. It will keep her happy and fishing. I bought an AVET HX and can't wait to put it in the water. As far as folks having a bad taste in their mouths about using an electric reel, I think people should use what they are comfortable using. Bottom Line. Its like having a arguement with a Stick Bow VS a Sprocket Rocket. Lets just hunt and fish and enjoy the sport and not worry about what other people think.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    ...As far as folks having a bad taste in their mouths about using an electric reel, I think people should use what they are comfortable using. Bottom Line. Its like having a arguement with a Stick Bow VS a Sprocket Rocket. Lets just hunt and fish and enjoy the sport and not worry about what other people think.
    It's not "folks having a bad taste in their mouths"... it's some who feel they "own" the fish who are pushing proposals and regulations that would prohibit the use of certain equipment. Just like shotgunning for deer... I don't care for it, but that's really irrelevant. You don't see me out there attempting to ban shotguns.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

At the BOF in Sitka a commercial guy brought in approximately a 40 lb electric (hydraulic) contraption and argued his reason for banning electric reels and said he would mount it to a fishing rod. They also managed to get the black cod limit reduced for sportfish for know. It is being appealed. Sportfisherman need to speak up, right letters or voice their concern however they can.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

ive never used an electric reel before but i assume you still have to pump the rod and work the trigger/button? i really dont think its like throwing the line in the block and pulling them up at mach 5. my opinion is anyone who wants to squeel about using an electric reel should go back to cedar bark rope and tlingit halibut hooks. they should also not use rifles to shoot there game or participate in any primitive arms early season hunts. no gps, fighting belts, radar, fossil fuel combustible motors, real tree scent lock camo, scent cover up, game cameras, broadheads, compound bows, rangefinders, spotting scopes, graphite rods, glow jigs, you should pull your anchor by hand and it should be nothing more than the biggest rock you can pull in by yourself! sportsmanlike? phooey, you are all hypocrites

I carry a couple of Miya Epoch electric reels for older and disable people. I used to fish all electric but the noise they make and they take some time to get use to them. You are to lift up and reel down. But some people can only press the button and leave them in the rod holders. With the drag set right an 800 series Miya Epoch will bring in a 200 pound Halibut by just pressing the auto up.

I have a serious problem with the attitude that electric reels ought to be banned, I'm 60 and have Forresters disease and am disabled. I don't use the electric reels yet but it won't be long before I'm going to be forced to or just quit fishing and I'll be darned if I'll do that.

I got wind of the move to ban electric reels with the IPHC last year and hit them a letter with the idea that it would discriminate against the elderly and disabled were these reels to be banned, looks like they agreed as they tabled the idea for more study.

One letter and one phone call folks that's all it took.

I would strongly advise all of you that are in the same boat I am to fire off an email or a snail mail letter to the IPHC
    and voice your opinion and protect your right to continue to fish even with an electric reel.

Your opinion does matter.

Here's a link http://www.iphc.washington.edu/halcom/contact.htm

Well said folks. Thanks to all who participate in the battle even if it is just passing on the information to someone who may send in a letter or email.

We're all in this together where the halibut are concerned regardless of whether you fish AK or California

Many years ago I knew a charter operator out of Seldovia (Ken Cope, "Fantasia") who had electric reels. I went out with him a couple times and from my experience, it allowed you to comfortably fish deeper water with heavier weight even outside the slack time. You still had to utilize the same techniques as you would any other rod and reel. Technique is always your best friend, not the equipment. I don't understand the attitude that you have to be disabled in order for it to be OK. Why is the type of reel you use anyone else's business? It's this kind of unnecessary interference that needs to be stopped.

It's not an IPHC thing per se... the regulatory body for halibut is the NPFMC. The State of Alaska is also big in writing regs about what we can and can't use.

The last several proposals to ban electric reels have been put up by the various commercial fishing interest groups around the state. When I started catching a few dozen sablefish (black cod) each year (on charter, using electric reels), Kathy Hansen (justthefacts) immediately had a proposal before the BoF to ban the use of those reels.

Whatever you can harvest for sport on your own, ought to be banned so that you need to buy it in the grocery store.... right?

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]