Thread: Woodstock issues...

Default Woodstock issues...

my sling swivel screw hole on my woodstock is now no good, do I drill another hole to put it in, & plug this hole? or just buy a new poly stock?

You can glue in a piece of dowell rod then drill new hole in same place,its easy

Hell, you can glue tooth picks in the whole, just 3-4 and then screw the stud back in and have it work just fine.

Thumbs up easy fix....

Put some wood glue in the hole, let it harden, drill a hole in the glue, put the stud in, go hunting.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Depends on how nice your wood stock is as to the best repair… If its just a plain jane “junker” stock that you don’t care too much about, then just epoxy in a dowel or some bits of wood, re-drill and there you go… If it’s a nice stick of wood that you care a great deal about, then I would order several walnut pieces and dowels (assuming the stock is walnut) to have a good assortment to chose from in trying to match the color and direction of grain to that of the stock and carefully splice in a new plug and profile, sand and finish to match the stock. You could then re-drill for the stud.

Of course the fastest, easiest, cheapest way to go, is to just goob a bunch of JB weld (or other epoxy) into the hole and on the stud, and jam it back in the buggered hole and let it set up…. That’s what “Buba the Butcher” would do. It will look like crap, but it will work.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Lightbulb Ok Great suggestions!

Thanks all for the overwhelming support & ideas, I called around for wood glue & couldn't find any, so I go to the store & there's none, & break down & buy some white silicon & used some spruce slivers, & then threaded the stud in & will let it hold for 24hrs before I try to take out the stud, or heck, just leave the stud in forever... :P

If you are referring to white silicone like caulking, I would not expect that to hold for very long.

Default Sure beats...

bubble gum, chewing gum, school glue or not having a sling... :P

If you don't have any type of glue or epoxy just stuff the hole with steel wool and thread the stud into that

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    bubble gum, chewing gum, school glue or not having a sling... :P
    Actually school glue like the Elmer’s brand is a good wood glue but not water resistant.

Also you can put 4 tooth picks in the hole then snap off what sticks out and screw the swivel back in without any glue. It will hold just fine for a very long time.

Andy

PS: I thought you were referring to the Summer Of Love or something. Woodstock issues. . .

The silicon will pull out ! Get some glue or epoxy. Wood glue should not be to hard to find, heck even Elmers' makes a wood glue, you should be able to get it at Fred Meyer even.

I wasn't at Woodstock, I was busy somewhere else that summer but the best way to fix the sling stud hole is with acra-glass gel, or any good stock bedding compound. You can use any two part epoxy or a hot glue gun if you like 'tacky'.

Did I ever tell ya about the time I dropped a nice BRNO 7x64 down a mountain in Iran?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default I have epoxy...

but's it's buried in my storage somewhere... & I was born spring of '71...

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I wasn't at Woodstock, I was busy somewhere else that summer but the best way to fix the sling stud hole is with acra-glass gel, or any good stock bedding compound. You can use any two part epoxy or a hot glue gun if you like 'tacky'.

Did I ever tell ya about the time I dropped a nice BRNO 7x64 down a mountain in Iran?
    I was also busy with other things during Woodstock, ranch work in Arizona! I was not old enough for the Marines till after Nixon's pull-out of SE Asia. When I was old enough I did not have the academic requirements to join, odd world. I don't understand what was so great about a hay field full of doped up, longhaired, unclothed, unwashed, and smelly idgets myself.

Murphy what happened in Iran?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

No, but we are all ears ( or eyes ) . Was it before or after the Khomeini-types took our Embassy ?

Default Toothpicks ought to work

I haven't had this specific problem before, but I've gotta agree with those recommending the glue/toothpick solution. That fix works great around the home when you have a wood screw that's stripped.....like a door strike plate screw for example. The toothpicks are made from hardwood, and they don't give under the stress from screw threads. The light pull on a sling stud should be nothing for some gluee in toothpicks.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    I haven't had this specific problem before, but I've gotta agree with those recommending the glue/toothpick solution. That fix works great around the home when you have a wood screw that's stripped.....like a door strike plate screw for example. The toothpicks are made from hardwood, and they don't give under the stress from screw threads. The light pull on a sling stud should be nothing for some gluee in toothpicks.

Thank you for a voice of reason.Yes, wood glue is not hard to find. And yes, toothpic'swillfill the void enough to pressure the surrounding area. Siicone...........Well thats just a poor alternative. You need a good and hard alternative, glue and t-picks.

Silicone was a poor choice. As will be found out.