Thread: RCBS ChargeMaster vs Lyman 1200 DPS scales?

Default RCBS ChargeMaster vs Lyman 1200 DPS scales?

I am on my third RCBS ChargeMaster Combo Scale and Powder Dispenser. First one reported greater than the advertised 20 gram checkweight of 308.6 grains and was replaced. Second one worked for a year or two, then started displaying random entries on scale when entering a charge and was replaced. Now the third one reports > 308.6 grains for the 20 gram checkweight and the "idling" negative value when the pan is off the platen drifts around a lot. It reports a approximate 0.4 grain greater weight than my RCBS Partner that is slow but repeatable. Tired of the costs of shipping it back and forth.

Had anyone used the Lyman 1200 DPS 3 version of this scale-dispenser concept, and is it reliable and repeatable?

Thanks

I can't comment on either of the dispensers or scales that you have as I have not used them. However, I have an RCBS Range Master 750 that has done exactly what you describe. I too am on my third one of which RCBS had to replace each time. So far this one appears to be working well. I've had it over a year now without a hitch. I still back it up with my balance beam scale so sometimes I wonder why I have the thing at all. I have read on other web sites where this seems to be the norm instead of the exception. Hope you get something that works for you.

Dan

I'd like to keep an eye on this thread. I have a el cheapo Cabelas digital scale that has a very short shut off time and I back that up with my 505 beam. I was thinking about going to one of those RCBS dispensing scales...so I'll hold for now.

Thumbs up

I sure do like my Lyman DPS3, have had it over a year no problems.
    Got it at Sportsmans for 239.00, I see they jacked the price up a bunch since I purchased mine.

I would definately by it again.

For what it's worth, RCBS is going to send me a 4th one and pay shipping both ways this time. I'll report on the performance of the new one when it shows. A bunch of threads on other forums seem to favor the RCBS version over the Lyman or PACT versions. Just Google the topic of this thread to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by JessMan View Post
    I sure do like my Lyman DPS3, have had it over a year no problems.
    Got it at Sportsmans for 239.00, I see they jacked the price up a bunch since I purchased mine.

I would definately by it again.
    What's up with the 30 minute warm up time that I hear from other posters?

Is that true or BS?

If true, What's the reason?

Thanks in advance, I'm thinking about getting one but not interested in waiting 30 minutes for a warm up period.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    What's up with the 30 minute warm up time that I hear from other posters?

Is that true or BS?

If true, What's the reason?

Thanks in advance, I'm thinking about getting one but not interested in waiting 30 minutes for a warm up period.

Had the Lyman for a couple of years. It's been OK, seems to need recalibration frequently. But it's accurate and repeatable.

Regarding warm up, the scale is calibrated at the factory at a certain internal working temperature. The temperature of the electronic components directly affects the value of any reading. For example as temperature rises so does the resistance in the system. While these changes can be considered not significant when weighing pounds of things they are significant when weighing grains. So allowing the scale to reach equilibrium insures repeatable readings. Half an hour might be overkill in some situations, like a 90 degree day. You might reach working temp in 10 minutes. But it ensures that this equilibrium will be reached even on a cold day when your workshop temp might be 50 degrees.

Of course the scale manufacturer could add electronics to measure these things and compensate but then you pay more for the scale. Plus adding temperature measuring electronics to the mix leaves you with the problem of how to calibrate the temperature sensors to insure they are reading correctly.

I put my RCBS combo in position, make sure it is level, and every other time I use it, I wipe down the exterior surface, the inside of the powder reservoir, and pan with a Downey sheet. I warm it up maybe 10-15 minutes by simply bringing it out first, then setting up everything else. No problems at all.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I put my RCBS combo in position, make sure it is level, and every other time I use it, I wipe down the exterior surface, the inside of the powder reservoir, and pan with a Downey sheet. I warm it up maybe 10-15 minutes by simply bringing it out first, then setting up everything else. No problems at all.
    Sounds reasonable, thanks

So my 4th Chargemaster Combo showed up today with a free return UPS label for the 3rd one that had gone bad. The new one reads the proper weight for the checkweight, the "negative weight" displayed when the pan is off the platen does not drift as it did before, and when I check the thrown charges on my RCBS Partner electronic scale they do not vary even 0.1 grain. This one "feels right" in a lot of ways. Great customer service from RCBS all the way through this mess. Hope I have no reason to come back to this thread.