Thread: project suggestions...

Default project suggestions...

Over the years I've found myself primarily returning to the same two rifles year after year... My 300 WM or my 375 H&H... Because of this my rem 700 BDL chambered in 7mm has not seen the light of day for many, many years. So I've been thinking it's time to either part ways and just swap her for something that would better fit my rifle library...

But before I make any decisions I thought I'd ask if had a suggestion of a project for which this rifle could serve as my donor (base)...

I don't own any wild cat rifles but would consider it...

thanks

Default By 7mm assume you're referring to 7mm Rem Magnum

If your potential donor action is from Rem 700 chambered in 7mmRM, without considering a multitude of wildcats your donor action could be utilized for any of the following standard long action cartridges with a bolt face diameter of .540 +/- :

264 Win Mag, 270 Weatherby Mag, 7mm Weatherby Mag, 7 STW, 7mm Rem Ultra Mag, 300 H & H, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 RUM, 303 Brit, 8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 340 Weatherby Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H & H, 375 Weatherby Mag, 375 RUM, 416 Rem Mag, 458 Win Mag, and the 458 Lott.

I probably missed a few cartridges, but, that is off the top of my head. Good luck with your decision.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Default yes 7mm Rem Mag

This info is exactly the type of stuff for which I'm looking.

Thanks...

If you (or anyone else) come up with other suggestions let me know.

Default UNless

Unless your 700 has sentimental value, I would trade it for another remington in the caliber and style I desired;it'll come out cheaper in the long run.
    Your battery already contains 2 very fine and broad use calibers. The rifle you wish to alter has a .532 bolt face and as such very few smaller standard calibers than the 7mm would be useful on that bolt face. The 257 Weatherby, 264 Win Mag, 6.5 Rem mag come to mind. This is also a long action which is capable of holding a 3.340 inch length cartridge.
    It would however make a good trade-in on a small caliber varmint rifle or light mountain rifle I'm not really sure what you have in mind.
    Good Luck !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    Over the years I've found myself primarily returning to the same two rifles year after year... My 300 WM or my 375 H&H... Because of this my rem 700 BDL chambered in 7mm has not seen the light of day for many, many years. So I've been thinking it's time to either part ways and just swap her for something that would better fit my rifle library...

But before I make any decisions I thought I'd ask if had a suggestion of a project for which this rifle could serve as my donor (base)...

I don't own any wild cat rifles but would consider it...

thanks
    i used a remington "78" (economy model) to chamber a 30-06 ackley imp with a shilen fluted barrel. velocities over my cronograph are 3055 with a 180gr bullet. honest 300 win numbers.

i also used a remington 700 action to build a 280 ackley imp with a lilja fluted barrel. with bullets up to 160gr my rifle will compete directly with a 7mm magnum.

the beauty here is economy.......my loads take standard "06 cases, and 10gr less powder!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    happy trails.
    jh

Default How about a swede?

I had that same conundrum several years ago. I had an old 700 bdl in a 7mm mag, it is now a 358 Norma mag. The 358 would fit nicely power wise between your 300 and 375. Just a thought, a good thought. My .02
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!