Thread: Any One Know this Guy?

Default Any One Know this Guy?

I was 14 years old, back in '54', when I last saw old Sam Barton. Was living with my grandfather in a smalll town in SW Washington when Sam first showed up at my grandfathers gas station. It was in the fall of 1950 that he stopped for gas and they started BS-ing - he never left until the next spring, to return to his gold claim in Ak. For the next 4-5 years he would show up in early Oct and work the winter as our mechanic then leave the following spring to return to Ak. Then, in the fall of '54', he failed to show up, even tho the previous spring when he left he'd said "se ya next fall".
    My grandfather contacted his sister living in California, I believe, and she hadn't heard from him either. We never heard from Sam again, nor did his sister, to my knowledge.
    A bit about him - I'm thinking he would have been in his late 40's or early 50's, tall, thin, dark hair, dark complexion. Drove a light green 1948 Chrysler New Yorker and always wore dark green gaberdeen suits that were popular in that era. I believe he'd said his claim was in the Fairbanks district.
    If any of you old timers remember or has pictures of someone of this name or description I'd appreciate hearing from you. Since retiring in 2002 I've been spending my summers around Fairbanks and would like to do some enquiring into whatever may have happened to old Sam.
    Thanks for any help or advice any of you may have.

Bakersfield, Ca

Have you checked out Alaska DNR too see where his claim was located and then that will tell you which town to check from there.
    Good luck and let me know if I can help you any further.

soon to be back in Alaska

They have old DNR records and a lot more at the Arlis library inside the UAA Consortiun library. You might try checking him out there.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Post I can fit in.

This is a great post and makes me think of where I can fit in. I do a little bit of everything mentioned here and I guess I have to find my competitive advantage.

check the death records with the state of alsaka