Thread: S&W 500 magnum stories.

Default S&W 500 magnum stories.

Would also like to hear your experiences about S&W's 500 model any size. Hunting, handloading, self defense any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tnjquinones View Post
    Would also like to hear your experiences about S&W's 500 model any size. Hunting, handloading, self defense any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks
    My experience was brief to say the least, I saw it at my local dealer, picked it up, felt the weight, decided if I wanted to lug that much weight around it might as well be a rifle! Returned home, kissed and hugged my 4" model 29 and have never looked back!
    Others will have far more interesting stories i'm sure.

Default Stories.

Too funny.

Here's mine. I shot a friend's 4" 500 and hurt my hand because I gripped the gun too lightly. Actually it hurt my thumb. Later I purchssed one of my own for bear protection. I reload for it at about 30-60 per round. I have three loads I shoot. Light, medium and "bear load". I purchased a shoulder holster from diamond d leather. I now carry the gun while fly fishing and general mucking about in the outdoors. I shoot about 50-100 rounds per month for practice.

Default 500 s&w

I only ever shot 2 deer with mine it's an 8 3/8 in . no contest, they got jacked up . next i shot a 14lb ham that was out dated, it exploded in a million pieces. my son has the ak 2 3/4 inch no break emergency gun in the orange case. the gun is a hand full to shoot, to say the least. the only blood it has drawn was from forehead. you got to hold on to it!

I had one for about 6 months. After lugging this thing around for a season of fishing and hunting I downgraded to a Glock 20. The gun shot fine, but did have quite a kick. My buddy swears the I broke his hand when I let him shoot it. He still complains of the pain. My big concern was the weight. I figured I could get by with a lot less. I saw plenty of bears and none seemed contentious. Besides when hunting with the rifle I will use it before it becomes an issue. Also as a side note my wife dropped the 500 and bent the crane in the gun. After doing some research this has happened to several people. Just be careful to keep a good grip on this gun because it is not durable like a Glock.

Default It's on the way...

My 6 1/2" Half-lug 500 is being is being shipped as we speak from Bud's Gun Shop in KY. I bought a 460v 3 months ago and I am now officially addicted to big bore destruction...as a result, I'm now also a reloader. I guess if you like the big guns, you may as well get a 500. Dave Johnston's gonna like selling me two holsters in 3 months. I am certain to have entertaining anecdotes in the near future with the half-lug.

Talking Hey Stradofisher

If you want to get rid of that big ol' gun, give me a jingle......lol

For those considering the 500 or 454 Alaskan short barrel cannons for bear protection. You run the very real risk of permanenatly damaging your hearing with one pull of the trigger without hearing protection. Shooting at the range is a whole different ballgame. Please be careful.

Sorry for the hijack but Wyatt is giving very good advice. Very few people realize just how loud these puppies really are and the damage they can do to a person's hearing. There are some good products on the current market that offer both superior hearing and full protection against muzzle blast all at the same time in a small package. This company offers a nice set up at a God awful price but there are products out there similar to this product that should be much cheaper - I know I'm looking right now for the hearing aide type and if I find one that is priced right with great features I'll post using a different thread. Winter put the kybosh to my 500S&W target shooting/load development but come spring I'll get back to it. With full house loads it will talk back to ya on occasion when you practice "rapid/ragged fire".
    http://www.espamerica.com/default.aspx