Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afognak Bear Hunt

Default Afognak Bear Hunt

I drew a bear tag for the Afognak Island(s) for the spring hunt. Has anyone ever hunted there in the spring for bear? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also need float plane and/or boat rental info. for Kodiak.
    Thanks

Default afognak brwn. bear

i did not hunt the sprg.. i hunted the fall, if that helps?

Default AFOG Island

Cold Zero,
    We are heading there in late October for bear,deer, and hopefully elk.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Afognak hunts

I have hunted Afognak a couple of times in the spring for the bear hunt. Be very careful about land use as the native corporations are getting more assertive in going after trespassers, our last pilot said that he had been hired in the past to do over flights of the native owned land and look for trespassers and then report back to the native corporation.

As far as actually hunting, the beaches are VERY productive, but that means having a boat. A lot of the bears I encountered could care less about humans so be careful. If you are staying in a tent than you are a brave soul.

If you haven't already arranged air from Kodiak, I have been very happy with Andrew airways, they always show up when they say they are going to and very friendly.

Any specific questions email me and I'll do the best I can to help.

Default Afognak

We are getting dropped off at Laura lake on the south side to get better access to the hopefully logged areas and trails. We are also taking a kayak for the lake. We are doing the tent thing and carrying a fence. I assume rain, wind, brush, and hiking. We have a bear tag. And yes, we are taking Andrews Air. Got any ideas?

Default Bear Fence

What is the general consensus on the bear fencing around a tent. Is it worth it or should we sleep with one eye open anyway?

Drew

LOL............I would take the fence, some claymors, some night vision goggles, and run a trip wire with about a 300 yard perimeter around the camp and even then I probably still wouldn't be able to sleep, but hey, thats just me.

Talking

Yeah, dress like a salmon, and you should be fine!!

Default Afog

How about the fact that my other hunting partners are fatter than me, shoudn't that make me less appealing. It is either tent it or not go.
    Anyone with elk luck up north on Afognak.

Default Mkay you have to tell stories

Your first night in camp tell bear horror stories that will scare the crap out of your hunting partners. THat way you will have two wide awake partners to watch camp all night

Default Bear Deterrence

Before you fly in, rub some mothballs on your sleeping bag and the clothes that you'll be sleeping in.....then when you get to camp, rub some bacon grease on your buddies' sleeping bags....

All kidding aside, I hope you have a safe and enjoyable hunt.

Michael

Default Afognak

Thanks

I was kicking the tent idea around, but like everyone else, I'm not real keen about tenting down there. I'll have to look into the fence option. I do have access to a skiff that could possibly sleep three people on it. I have heard Andrew Airways name come up a few times when talking to people about this hunt.

Do the bears look for grasses and/or vegetation to eat when they come out of their dens?

I was just wondering if it would be worth buying the permit to hunt the native lands. I called the Afognak Native Corp. in Kodiak and they told me only eight people bought the permit last year. Well, eight people out of 35/50 seemed to be pretty good odds not to run into another hunter. Anyone have their two cents they want to throw into this?

By the way, I can run faster than my hunting partner that is coming with...
    Last edited by fnd1734; 10-12-2006 at 20:47. Reason: spelling errors

Dont sweat the bears, get an eletric fence, they can be had for about $250-$275 and whether it works or not it will allow you to sleep better. We used one on the Peninsula this past spring on a brown bear hunt and had it up for 4 days before we realized we had lost our ground in the extreme wind and it wasn''t working. Remember, your bear hunting and hopefully they will be in the same area you are. Andrews is a first class outfit and very friendly, not to mention very knowledgeable about Kodiak. I will tell you that a couple buddies of mine went to Afognak for a bear hunt a couple-3 years ago and were afraid to tent it so they got put in a horrible spot(Onion Bay) just so they could stay in a cabin and came home empty handed. Talk to Andrews , there are good spots on Afognak to hunt the bears but your going to have to tent it to be in a good place. Kill a biggin!

Default How about a big Smooch?

Forget bacon grease, bear stories and mothballs. When your partner is falling asleep, lean over and give him a big smooch on the cheek. When realizes what just happened he won't sleep a wink for the rest of the trip! You can rest easy knowing he'll have at least one eye open all night long.

Default toothpick

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    How about the fact that my other hunting partners are fatter than me, shoudn't that make me less appealing. It is either tent it or not go.
    Anyone with elk luck up north on Afognak.
    Ever needed a toothpick after a thick steak? :-)

Default afognak fall b.b. hunting.

i hunted late oct early nov and took an 11' b and c bear.

i think you will sleep better, read safely, if you can find a cabin to stay in. the bears are lightly hunted there compared to kodiak and can be more aggressive. lots of devils club so heavy rubber (commercial fishing) or leather gloves a must.

i have used andrew air many times on kodiak and afognak and i am sure you will have no problems with them.

the wind there cuts thru goretex or other windproof material there like no other place in ak. that i have been. dress in layers when glassing or transiting by boat. windproof fleece balaclava is a must, $20 well spent.

extensive survival and first aid kit on you at all times is called for. if you need input on that, p.m. me for list/s. much larger first aid kit (trauma kit) should be located back at camp. help from u.s.c.g. kodiak station can arrive quickly, you still need to be prepared thoroughly to deal with all situations. heavy caliber side arm is not a bad idea here.

if you can have a small zodiak i.r.b. with 18 h.p. motor to get around you will cover a lot more ground to glass for bear and to travel to other locales you have not hunted yet. it is worth the weight and cost penalty for the mobility it will provide.

the bears will be located higher up than you might think that they would be. i would plan on being back in camp at dark, for safety. bring a very good spotting scope, some areas are very wide open up high.

i think afognak is underappreciated for the size of bears there. it can be like sheep hunting for bears the terrain can be so steep right from the beach. i think some guys won't hunt there due to terrain difficulty and the lottery system limiting the # of permits as well as dealing with the native co.

excellent duck hunting, bring a shotgun. fishing is top notch as well.

sorry for the slow reply.

Thanks,
    We will be flying into Laura Lake unless something changes. We are taking a kayak to use on the lake if necessary. We will try to hit the logged areas if we can get to them.

Default Cold Zero's lists

Hi Cold zero
    I saw your post here http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=Kodiak+cabin where you mention your kits lists and I was wondering if you would share them. I always like to compare what I carry to others. If you can email to me that would be great. Thank you very much. akraven
    akraven8@mtaonline.net

theres a ton around kitoi bay, check with the native corp for access around there and talk to the hatchery people
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Lightbulb Survival kit contents list

Akraven:

Sorry for the slow reply. Been busy with the holiday and work. Hope this helps, give a shout if you have any questions.

email sent with contents list, thanks for the link.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast