Thread: Those bad apples are at it again...

Default Those bad apples are at it again...

I found out some irritating news today. I had some handloads for my .300 WM and my 450 Marlin i wanted to run through the crony, so i loaded everything in the truck and drove down to my shooting area - only to find out it's illegal to shoot there, and has been for a long time.

It seems there is a sign stating that shooting is off limits, but it is so full of bullet holes that it's unreadable. The spot is right at the west end of KGB. There's a small airstrip there, and a large open area next to it with a safe background - a bank flanked by a dense treeline.

I have been shooting there for a couple of years now and today was the first time I knew it was illegal. A man was out on the airstrip plowing and he came and told me about it. Now, common sense is mandatory when using any firearm, and I used it - stop shooting when a plane is landing or taking off, even though the probability of a stray bullet hitting one is almost nil. Not a problem though - it's not exactly a high-traffic landing strip.

Not that it matters - it's illegal, so I won't be shooting there again. I always wind up throwing a bunch of other shooters' discarded targets in my truck for disposal. Sad as it is, I've grown used to this. It seems there are "bad apples" at any known shooting area. Because these bad apples have filled the "no shooting" sign so full of bullet holes, I was unaware of the shooting prohibition.

The plow operator was understandably upset, even threatening to call the troopers. I think he finally was convinced that I'm not a valdal though, and he went back to plowing while I cleaned up some discarded targets and other trash for the last time.

It's too bad, because it only takes me 10 minutes to drive there. I guess I'll have to find another spot. I would hate to have to drive all the way out to Birchwood every time I want to try out some new handloads.

Okay, I'll stop my rant now. It just ticked me off, because it's people like those who shoot up signs and leave their garbage behind that are "ammo" (pun intended) for the anti-gun lobbyists who are getting laws passed like those recently (can't remember the state) which prohibit shooting ANYWHERE except for an established range or gun club.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

That really stinks. At least you didn't get into trouble for not knowing it was off limits to shooting. I can't stand people who shoot up signs... just costs taxpayers more money when they replace the darn things. How challenging of a target is a dang sign anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    How challenging of a target is a dang sign anyways!
    To some people they are quite the challenge...
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Apparently, it's possible to shoot there safely.

There are always litterERS, and it's against the law to litter.

I don't blame the people who litter, as much as those government people who use the slightest excuse to close an area to shooting. Instead, they should enforce the litter laws. I can almost understand why someone would be irritated enough to shoot the sign.

The plow operator may have been upset, but I can't believe that's understandable. Did he think you were going to shoot him?

That said, it's probably standard that shooting around an airport is illegal, but I see no reason to get carried away, and threaten to call the State Troopers.

Sounds like he was an A H to me.

JMO, or reaction.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Roger That! AKsoldier.

Good Post AKsoldier! You a very correct in what you said. Saw the same thing happen to several ranges (aka- flat land with a hill to be the backstop, when I lived in So. Cal.. Idiots would drop off old washing machines/refrigerators/junk/trash and then after a session of "spray and pray" with their chicom sks and their trash chicom steel bullet ammo , which actually started some fires because of the dry conditions in So. Cal.....

...Then the Federal/State Forest/Park Ranger, and or County Fire Marshall and/or County Sheriff would come in and what do they see at what was once a "shooting range" ? Junk and trash... so they block the road, put up a sign which says you can be arrested if you go onto this former "Public Land" which, btw--- Joe and Jane citizen pay for with all the taxes levied on us by the Feds. and the States.

So yes folks, be aware that the anti-gun/tree-huggin/Bambiists/earth-firsters are out there with cameras and will report stuff to the Government agencies. Don't leave stuff laying around, and just like AKsoldier knows from Range qual: " Police your Brass! " "Nobody goes to chow until the Range is clean!"

Quote Originally Posted by stevens20ga View Post
    ...Don't leave stuff laying around, and just like AKsoldier knows from Range qual: " Police your Brass! " "Nobody goes to chow until the Range is clean!"
    LOL, I've got that covered! I've been scavenging discarded brass there every time I went. Brass is worth almost as much as gold to reloaders!

And Smitty - The plow operator... Not an A H. He is a government paid employee who is being pressured by his boss to stop the vandalism, shooting, trashing, etc, etc, etc. of a federally funded airstrip because there is noone else to stop it. This is a rural area, where the nearest house is out of firearm earshot, even from my 18.5" barrelled 450 Marlin. This is part of the reason it is a popular, albiet illegal shooting area.

If people paid attention to the sign, instead of blasting it full of holes it would be obvious the area is off-limits to shooters.

The plow driver is understandably upset because he has to clean up the junk the careless vandals leave behind. This is in addition to his other duties to maintain the facility. This is a gravel airstrip, with no structure of any kind. As a matter of fact, I can't even remember seeing a windsock.

This is Alaska though, and with how dependent this state is on air travel even the most rural strip of cleared land is important. I can certainly understand the plow operator's frustration.

What is the statistic... something like 1.5 square miles of land for every human being in this state? I'll find someplace else to shoot, and I hope the vandals do too, before the state finds it for us.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I read in the ADN the other day that Wasilla is thinking of opening its own range.

That would be a God-send! I certainly hope there is a range soon in Wasilla. I'll be among those first in line for a membership!

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    What is the statistic... something like 1.5 square miles of land for every human being in this state? I'll find someplace else to shoot, and I hope the vandals do too, before the state finds it for us.
    AKsoldier:
    You were there, so Iíll take your word for it.

However regarding finding another place to shoot, I can only say, "Hang onto your dreams". I think you'll find it difficult.

You can't even park, just anyplace along the road. If there are Pull-Outs that attract much attention, they become restricted in short order.

Most outdoor activities are heavily restricted, and any time a trail, or even a parking space is used, the powers that be, close it down, by placing Big Rocks, or digging Huge Ditches, to block access, or some other action is taken.

Recreational areas are closed down, because of littering, or shooting, or some actual, or even perceived illegal activity. There is no reason to restrict shooting, unless it is unsafe.

Why not enforce the laws against those things that are illegal, and insure that shooting is done in a safe manner, rather than closing the place down, on the pretense, that there is no other option.

Our government officials act in a manner designed to accommodate themselves, instead of the public, they are supposed to serve.

This is an important matter to me, even though I pay Birchwood Range $175.00 a year to shoot there.

If you find another convenient place to shoot, I'd be interested in knowing about it.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty,

I found a spot, but although it's closer to my house even than the airstrip, I would not exactly call it convenient. It's a spot on the inlet west of the Palmer hay flats area that is accessible only by an unmaintained dirt road that only tends to get used by snowmachines or fourwheelers in the winter. My son and I hunt Spruce grouse along the bluff there in the spring and summer.

I have seen targets set up there before and occassionally hear people shooting from my house. I would take the fourwheeler down there, but the truck would probably get stuck right now. The drawback is limited space for guns and shooting gear on the fourwheeler.

I also have a membership at birchwood, by the way. I'd just rather not have to drive 40 minutes to shoot. I guess I'll go back to taking a gun or two with me to work and stopping by birchwood on the way home. I just don't particularily like the idea of leaving my guns in the truck all day while I'm at work.

AKsoldier:
    I understand, and that's my point.

We'd all like to have a place that's close, that we can get to without having to make it an expedition out of it.

These places get CLOSED, and when they are, I blame the folks who close them, more than those who provide the excuse, because they'll always find an excuse.

I recently filled out a questionnaire, from the SOA Parks and Rec. I sent them an extry letter along with it, and I mentioned User Fees, shooting, closing recreation areas etc.

If you get one, you don't have to play their silly game, by just answering their questions. You can also comment on the Real Issues, like closing recreation areas, shooting, etc. instead of enforcing the law.

If you Are, or Ever Were, a "Soldier", Thank You, for your service to our Country.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I was and am, and you're welcome. Just said goodbye to my closest friend who is headed to Afghanistan. I'll be joining him shortly.

I hope there will still be a place for us to shoot when I get back.

Me too, and my best to ya.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.