Thread: Picked up a S&W 65-5

Default Picked up a S&W 65-5

Well found a fair shape .357 revolver. Its a S&W 65-5, stainless, 3" barrel. The hammer is bobbed. Its a little big but the wife seems to think its fine for her.

The trigger pull on the thing is smooooth. I was a little hesitant about the hammer being bobbed but once I pulled the trigger in DA mode, I thought "no problem"

The Wife likes the trigger too and she said that she doesnt feel like she is having to strain to pull it.

I guess well take it to the range here and try it out. Hopefully it works out okay. It seems like a good revolver.

Mainly it will sit on the wifes side of the bed.

That's quite a find on a rare gun and perfect as a DAO defensive piece. I would like to find one my self except I prefer the blue M-13 in that same 3" config. Good piece of equipment you got there, what did it set you back if you don't mind my asking?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Traded an DPMS AR lower for it. The gun has got some scratches on it, but is just fine otherwise. It was certainly worth an AR lower

Thumbs up one of my favorites.....

Back in the 80's I picked up a stainless 3" S&W K frame in .357 with adjustable sights, full length ejector rod and round butt grip. It was a limited run from Ashlund Shooting Supply. It rides in a Kramer Horsehide Scabboard. It is a well balanced and good shooting revolver. You got a good one. I plan on finding another 3" K frame some day.

Good find and great trade. There really is a premium for the 3" barrels among smith collectors. I have a 3" Ruger Speed Six (USPS postal inspector issue) that has had the hammer bobbed. For a carry piece bobbing is great.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Well found a fair shape .357 revolver. Its a S&W 65-5, stainless, 3" barrel. The hammer is bobbed. Its a little big but the wife seems to think its fine for her.

The trigger pull on the thing is smooooth. I was a little hesitant about the hammer being bobbed but once I pulled the trigger in DA mode, I thought "no problem"

The Wife likes the trigger too and she said that she doesnt feel like she is having to strain to pull it.

I guess well take it to the range here and try it out. Hopefully it works out okay. It seems like a good revolver.

Mainly it will sit on the wifes side of the bed.
    your revolver (or one like it) was standard issue to the wisconsin warden service. they were ordered from s&w as to barrel length, but required the standard hammer with knurled spur. there were no state markings on this service gun, but were later offered with the state seal.

great gun, highly respected caliber, and well liked by the wardens.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    happy trails.
    jh