Thread: Photo tip advice

Default Photo tip advice

I've just found out that I will be traveling to Anchorage this September on business. I can't wait and plan on staying 7-10 days afterwards on my own, beginning on September 19th. I plan on renting a car and either camping or staying in hostels.

I'm mostly interested in wildlife and scenic photography, not sure if I'll have the 600mm with me as I'm not sure how to get it on the plane, but will have the Nikon 200-400, 70-200, and 12-24.

I'm thinking of going to Denali and Kenai Fjords national parks. Any advice on other areas or how to best spend my time would be greatly appreciated. This may be the trip of a lifetime, so I'd like to make the most of it. Thanks, Dave
    survey33@yahoo.com

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Below is some info I recently put on the fishing forum. Some will be helpful to you. We were on the Kenai for a Thur to Sun trip in the end of May last year. Trying to get a quick Alaska fix. Just a great place for a camera. A must do is the "Captains Choice" tour with Kenai Fjords Tours in Seward. It caters to photographers and uses a smaller boat to get you close to wildlife. I will be doing this again for sure. Lots of places on the Kenai for great photographs. If time allows, drive all the way to Seward, then back around to Homer. Ninilchik and Clam Gulch near Homer are some great photo ops. Also, the Cooper Landing area. Nice mountain views and what not. So much there. PM me with some specific questions. Happy to help in any way that I can.

I have fished on the Kenai Penninsula and can recommend Puffin Charters in Seward for halibut. I had a great trip with them. If in the Seward area, consider getting up to Troutfitters in Cooper Landing and having them take you out on the Upper Kenai one day. This could be a very good day of fishing. They are top notch and have a website with lots of info. http://aktroutfitters.com/ If in that area, be sure to stop by Gwins Lodge and get a burger and look around. That is a famous spot for fisherman. Which reminds me, as you are heading south out of Anchorage, you will go by a small town, Girdwood. If time permits, stop by a restaurant called Chair 5 and have a halibut sandwich or burger. Nice microbrews too. Cool spot for lunch. http://www.chairfive.com/

If time alllows, take a one day site seeing cruise along the fjords near Seward with Kenai Fjords Tours. Did this twice and the second time (last May) we went on the "Captains Choice Tour". It was a smaller boat than the others and got close to wildlife. We saw all kinds of wildlife. Something you and your family would never forget. I will be doing this trip again myself. Below is a link to some images from that trip. All the wildlife and glacier images were from that day cruise. Awesome trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...95387576/show/

While in Seward, be sure to check out the Sealife Center. Very cool and educational for the kids too. By the small boat harbor there is a restaruant with windows overlooking the boat harbor. Got the best crab legs I ever ate there. On the way down to Seward from Anchorage, near Portgage, you will see on the right side of the road a wildlife refuge. Bears, moose, eagles, elk, etc.. can be seen there. Drive through, pay like $5 or something and spend 30 minutes checking out the animals.

Also, near Seward, check out Exit Glacier. You can walk right up to it. Maybe a 1/4 mile hike to it from the parking lot. And if dog mushing is of interest, Mitch Seavey (former Iditarod champ) has the Iditaride in Seward. Check out his website. You can go there and see the kennel of 50-60 dogs and a take buggy ride pulled by the dogs. Neat stuff for anyone wanting to learn more about mushing.

Lots to see and do in the area. I am sure you will have a great trip. Take extra memory cards and/or a storage device. Below are a few I got on the Kenai last May. Beautiful place.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Here are a few wildlife images from that trip...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default September...

is going to be rainy...bring some wet weather gear & somethng to cover your gear as well...

you 200-400 should work well with a 2x extention as a replacement for your 600mm...

Great photos dan! "WE'RE NOT WORTHY!"

Quote Originally Posted by survey33 View Post

This may be the trip of a lifetime, so I'd like to make the most of it. Thanks, Dave

Dave,

Finding all the info you need to plan your trip. If not, let us know how we can help. Many more here on the forum with more info than me. Have any questions? Just ask. You will have a great trip to Alaska I am sure. This is a good time of year for planning. Take advantage of it.

Gogoalie,

Thanks for the kind words man. I am just an amateur that was in a VERY pretty place. Hard to get a bad picture in a place as beautiful as Alaska.

I've just found out that I will be traveling to Anchorage this September on business. I can't wait and plan on staying 7-10 days afterwards on my own, beginning on September 19th. I plan on renting a car and either camping or staying in hostels.

I'm mostly interested in wildlife and scenic photography, not sure if I'll have the 600mm with me as I'm not sure how to get it on the plane, but will have the Nikon 200-400, 70-200, and 12-24.

I'm thinking of going to Denali and Kenai Fjords national parks. Any advice on other areas or how to best spend my time would be greatly appreciated. This may be the trip of a lifetime, so I'd like to make the most of it. Thanks, Dave
    survey33@yahoo.com
    Dave, look into renting an RV. After Labor Day, the rates usually go down a bit, and the cost of the RV rental might be about equal to a rental car and the cost of hostels . . . PM me and we can talk more . .

R,

John

survey33@yahoo.com
    You may be a bit too late for a thorough trip in Denali: http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisi...servations.htm
    You may be able to drive into about the 30mm. You might be up there during the yearly road lottery. If you know what you are doing, you may be able to "obtain" a pass from folks who are done using theirs. You should be here during some great fall colors!! Good luck and post some shots when you get home...
    EricL

Default Thanks for all the advice

Wanted to thank those who responded for the advice, definitly useful. I have an idea now and have ordered some maps and guides to continue researching.

Thx, Dave.

Dave, your trip sounds like a can't-miss to me; September is my favorite month up here. Fewer people, animals are moving, termination dust, fall colors; adds up to good times. If you have to prioritize, do Denali first- I've been in the park earlier than 09/19 and everything was closed and the road snowed in. You can still drive your own vehicle to the Savage River, in either case, and you should see animals, and there's a few nice hikes around the park H.Q. Here's a couple pictures from one of my own September trips. Then, if you have time, do Kenai Fjords, and don't miss the SeaLife Center in Seward. That's all I know.
    Attached Images Attached Images