Thread: Pre-model 27 S&W .357

Default Pre-model 27 S&W .357

I picked up a nice pre-Model 27 S&W at the show in Palmer Sat. I had always wanted one of these but the prices got away from me until this one. I had bought a 27-2 a few months ago but it just didn't seem right.

For those of use that are used to looking a modern S&Ws and especially Rugers these early 5 screw S&Ws are something to behold. The .357 was the flagship of the S&W line and it shows. All the corners are crisp and every exterior surface is carefully polished. The joints where the side plate and frame fit are almost invisible. The top are barrel and frame are finely checkered to reduce glare.

S&W even burnished the chambers on these guns - the chambers look like they are bright chrome plated.

On the negative side - most of my other guns now seem poorly finished by comparison. It is easy to see why these early guns bring such a premium price to those that appreciate fine fit and finish.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Nice find there, old S&Ws are always a good find. I have a 27-1 with 5" bbl. Those and the 3 1/2" are rare but any five screw is a rare find. What bbl length do you have?

That's a really nice revolver you got yourself. I too have always wanted a pre-27. I sort of had one that someone had butchered and converted to .45 acp. The work wasn't really that bad, but it was a shame that they wasted such a nice revolver. I think my 27-2 5" is my favorite firearm that I own.

Default pre-27

Mine has the 6 1/2" barrel - pretty common I think. They catalogued the gun with both 6" and 6 1/2" barrels for some reason.

It showed a bit of houster wear but little use - still tight and crisp. It should be a great shooter although I haven't shot a .357 much in years

The diamond target "coke" grips are real unusual on thes gun - most were the magna grips. I don't know if S&W has any records on these guns or not- I'll call them and see. The target grips apparently weren't serial numbered to the guns like the magna grips as they weren't sanded and fitted to the gun before both were finished.

Quote Originally Posted by MCJonas View Post
    Nice find there, old S&Ws are always a good find. I have a 27-1 with 5" bbl. Those and the 3 1/2" are rare but any five screw is a rare find. What bbl length do you have?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I think all the 3 and 5 inch guns came with factory letter which adds about 150 bucks to value