Thread: Anyone ever kill moose (or grizz) with a .35 Rem?

Default Anyone ever kill moose (or grizz) with a .35 Rem?

Just curious to know if anyone ever took moose or even grizzly with a .35 Remington. It's a great round for deer and black bear--and I once had a Canadian hunting guide tell me that it's all his father ever used for caribou. I'm not suggesting that anyone go out hunting grizzly with a .35--just curious as to what large game some of you may have taken with it.

Several moose during the homesteading days in the early '60's. Couple of black bears, no brown bears. There wasn't that many here in the Funny River area then as compared to now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce1965 View Post
    Just curious to know if anyone ever took moose or even grizzly with a .35 Remington. It's a great round for deer and black bear--and I once had a Canadian hunting guide tell me that it's all his father ever used for caribou. I'm not suggesting that anyone go out hunting grizzly with a .35--just curious as to what large game some of you may have taken with it.
    bruce; i own a limited run guide gun in .35 remington and have found it to be way better than expected. not only is this rifle accurate, but with 200gr "leadhead" flatnose bullets....a deadly killer. i have taken deer with this load, and have been happy with the 1 shot results.

i also one shot an elk at 248 laser measured yds (with witnesses) using the new hornady leverevolution ammunition. the bullet double lunged and exited leaving a great blood trail, (about 60yds) to a very dead elk.

nice rifle, great underrated caliber.

check out my album for pics of the rifle and group with the leverevolution ammunition.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    happy trails.
    jh

I can't remember the name of the book, but look up the bear hunting judge from Juneau, if I remember right he used a semi auto 35.

Judge Folda was a real fan of the .35 for bear. The .35 Rem was considered "the" brown bear cartridge for a goody number of years back in the day. It has amazing penetration for a moderate- velocity bullet, and performs well on game; despite what the ballistic data charts would indicate. Speed doesn't kill: a big, well placed bullet w/ good sectional density kills.

I've shot two bull moose with the similar obsolete 35 Winchester round, albeit a heavier bullet at 250 gr. It put them right down. I would think the 35 Rem would do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
    Judge Folda was a real fan of the .35 for bear. The .35 Rem was considered "the" brown bear cartridge for a goody number of years back in the day. It has amazing penetration for a moderate- velocity bullet, and performs well on game; despite what the ballistic data charts would indicate. Speed doesn't kill: a big, well placed bullet w/ good sectional density kills.
    hi groundpounder; who is judge folda? i tried an online check with no results??
    happy trails.
    jh

Default Not to sure

about the difference between the .35 Remington and the .35 Whelan(spelling?) but I new a lady of Kodiak that killed everything with a .35 w, last count she had taken 2 Brown Bears and I Grizzly with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    hi groundpounder; who is judge folda? i tried an online check with no results??
    Try JUDGE FOLTA

Here is his book:

Of Bench and Bear's: Alaska's Bear Hunting Judge: Richard C. Folta

I just finished reading it again last week. Very interesting individual.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 03-03-2009 at 07:54. Reason: added info

Years ago i took a friend moose hunting and he had a 35 remmington. He opened up on a moose at 200 yards. We were seperated at the time and i ended up shooting it at 300 yards with a 270. when we skinned the moose 2 35 rounds hit the mark but only went in a couple of inches.

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Years ago i took a friend moose hunting and he had a 35 remmington. He opened up on a moose at 200 yards. We were seperated at the time and i ended up shooting it at 300 yards with a 270. when we skinned the moose 2 35 rounds hit the mark but only went in a couple of inches.
    i believe that! up close(?), the factory ammunition is deadly but is limited by low pressures and bullets designed for thin skinned game. my experience with hardcast lead is quite the contrary. using my lever rifle, and contender, i have yet to recover a bullet.

also, the new hornady leverrevolution ammunition is more in keeping with the +p stuff that buffalo bore sells for twice the price. it is so accrurate and penetrates so well........it shoots like a .358 win! honest!
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    about the difference between the .35 Remington and the .35 Whelan(spelling?) but I new a lady of Kodiak that killed everything with a .35 w, last count she had taken 2 Brown Bears and I Grizzly with it.
    using factory specs the .35 whelen shoots a 200gr bullet at about 2650fps remington factory load). my whelen crono's barnes 200gr @ 2807fps.

the .35 remington fires the same bullet at about 2000fps (remington factory load). my .35 crono's at 2132fps (18"barrel).

both cartridges are underloaded by the factory, and can be safely improved by about 200fps. of course that is assuming your rifle is of new and safe manufacture.
    happy trails.
    jh

using factory specs the .35 whelen shoots a 200gr bullet at about 2650fps remington factory load). my whelen crono's barnes 200gr @ 2807fps.

the .35 remington fires the same bullet at about 2000fps (remington factory load). my .35 crono's at 2132fps (18"barrel).

both cartridges are underloaded by the factory, and can be safely improved by about 200fps. of course that is assuming your rifle is of new and safe manufacture.
    new rifles and calibers make the world go round BUT, in the early 1900's very large game animals were taken cleanly with calibers like the .35 rem (for instance). due in part to reliance on iron sights and excellent marksmanship, these hunters were not undergunned.

game animals are still about the same size so, what has changed?
    happy trails.
    jh

In my opinion, the 35 remington is one of the most misunderstood cartridges on the market, this didn't used to be the case years ago when people actually tried things out and made conclusions for themselves, instead of reading the outright lies and fucticious hype, written in the gun rags by people that are PAID TO SAY NEW THINGS ARE THE BEST EVER!
    The 35 Rem. can, will, and does hit with the authority that is unequaled by MANY faster rounds, I have taken black bear with it and could not ask for better performance! I wouldn't trade my old Marlin 35 Rem. for any 30-06, .338, .375 etc.!
    Some things are just so far above others in performance that it makes no sense ON PAPER, the 35 Rem has proven itself over and over to be on the top of the heap! And anyone who doesn't see its outstanding worth has most likely never shot one!
    Yea, I Like It!!!

Default yes

I have shot both moose and grouse with a 35 rem. They both dropped with one shot. If you hunt moose in heavy timber the 35 rem is a good choice.

Default 35 Remington

Thanks for the posts guys. I've also taken some big black bears with the .35 Rem.--with excellent performance. I think that it just has a great combination of bullet weight and caliber,matched with the right velocity and bullet design--which all combine to give it great penetration and close range knock down power. I've taken deer at some pretty fair distances with regular factory ammo--no problem. If I were to use it for moose,I would probably try to keep shots within about 75 yards or so. Oh--and the Folta book sounds interesting--I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Try JUDGE FOLTA

Here is his book:

Of Bench and Bear's: Alaska's Bear Hunting Judge: Richard C. Folta

I just finished reading it again last week. Very interesting individual.
    thanks for the tip: i just today (sat) recieved my copy and it looks to be an interesting read. judge folta took over 200 bears, many with a .35 remington, and most of them were heavy brown bears.

it shows a new insight to classic rifle calibers.
    happy trails.
    jh

Default Judge Folta book

thanks for the tip: i just today (sat) recieved my copy and it looks to be an interesting read. judge folta took over 200 bears, many with a .35 remington, and most of them were heavy brown bears.

it shows a new insight to classic rifle calibers.
    For you guys who have read that "Benches and Bears" book.... did Judge Folta mention his prefered aiming point on bears with the .35? (shoulder?,...behind the shoulder-lung shot?,...neck?,...head?) Does the book tell if he had lots of one shot kills?

Default Shot placement with .35 Rem

Well....I'm guessing he probably shot for the shoulder or lungs on a broadside shot....or possibly the head or neck on a close shot.... The last blackie I shot with the .35 Rem was broadside at 50 yards....got him in the front shoulder--and the bullet exited the far shoulder (200 grain bullet, 300+ pound boar).