Thread: At North Pole today (Sunday)

Default At North Pole today (Sunday)

Cool shots Ray. Thanks for sharing.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Cool shots Ray. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks.

There was a photographer there, probably a professional, with a fancy Canon camera and an EF 100-400mm L IS lens. He told me that he had the EF 600mm prime (that's the one I would like to have if I had the cash)

Anyway, I plan to buy the EF 400mm f/5.6L USM (non-IS), which costs about the same as the 100-400, but is faster and probably sharper. It costs a little over $1,100.00, so I will wait a few months. For the photos above, I used the 100mm f/2.8 Macro, first. For the last two, I used an EF 200mm f/2.8L USM. My 40D was set to AI Servo, center point focus, auto ISO, and burst mode. Was there for a few minutes only, since my dog in the truck was calling me (non-stop bark). She wanted to get out there and chase after the dogs

While I am sure the 400 is a great lens, be sure to give some consideration to the versatility of the 100-400 before pulling the trigger. I have a 40D and the 100-400 and love it. It has allowed me to get some great shots that I would never have gotten with a prime lens. The "push/pull" zoom is a love it or hate it. I love it. Birds in flight, running animal, etc.. the push/pull comes in very handy. You can quickly change your composition as well with this feature. Just a perfect all around wildlife lens if you ask me. Some of the bad reports of "soft copies" were from earlier versions best I can tell. I read up on it extensively before buying mine. Lastly, the IS is something I could not live without on a zoom like this. But your hands may be steadier than mine. Food for thought at any rate. Below is a moon shot that I had to crop the sh*$ out of. Still fairly sharp for a first attempt with a new lens.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Below is a moon shot that I had to crop the sh*$ out of. Still fairly sharp for a first attempt with a new lens.
    That is one of the most detailed moon shots that I've seen posted to the Internet!

A matter of personal choice... but... have you tried using an editor (or, if you shot that in RAW mode, a raw converter would be the right place for most of this) to adjust the gamma curve (in "curves" drag the center of the curve towards the lower right corner) and then add a little USM to it?

Given that I did that to an 810x567 jpeg, I can only imagine what the effect would be using a full sized image directly from the raw data set!

Thanks Floyd. I had recently got my camera and new 100-400 when I did this. Also, new to Photoshop Elements 6.0. I increased the sharpness a little bit and then saved it as a jpeg and resized it for the internet (I think). That is about it. My post processing skills have improved some since, but this was one of my ealiest efforts. Thanks for the suggestions. I will read up on them.

While I am sure the 400 is a great lens, be sure to give some consideration to the versatility of the 100-400 before pulling the trigger. I have a 40D and the 100-400 and love it. It has allowed me to get some great shots that I would never have gotten with a prime lens. The "push/pull" zoom is a love it or hate it. I love it. Birds in flight, running animal, etc.. the push/pull comes in very handy. You can quickly change your composition as well with this feature. Just a perfect all around wildlife lens if you ask me. Some of the bad reports of "soft copies" were from earlier versions best I can tell. I read up on it extensively before buying mine. Lastly, the IS is something I could not live without on a zoom like this. But your hands may be steadier than mine. Food for thought at any rate. Below is a moon shot that I had to crop the sh*$ out of. Still fairly sharp for a first attempt with a new lens.
    That's a pretty nice moon shot.

In relation to the 100-400 versus the 400 prime, I have been thinking about which one of the two for about a year now. The main reason for buying such a lens would be for taking photos of birds. According to bird photographers, the 400 f/5.6 is one of the fastest focusing for birds in flight, and also one of the sharpest around that price range. I only plan to take photos under daylight, with the lens on a tripod for maximum sharpness (to help with cropping, of course)

By the way, I use a 40D, too, and my wife now owns the XT.

Ray... where were these shots located at?
    I know the lady on the top 2 pictures and I'd like to send them in her direction, if you don't mind.
    COtoAK
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Ray... where were these shots located at?
    I know the lady on the top 2 pictures and I'd like to send them in her direction, if you don't mind.
    COtoAK
    Excellent idea! I have several printed 5" x 7" photos of her (and the other fellow with the sled), on premium photo paper at 337 dpi. I was planing to burn a CD with the photos (RAW formatted to TIFF), and then take the prints and the CD to KJMP in North Pole, since they may have an idea of who these two persons are.

I have sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post

By the way, I use a 40D, too, and my wife now owns the XT.

Awesome camera, isn't it? Just love mine. Several others here putting them to good use from what I have seen. Every once in a while a manufacturer just nails it and does something right. The Canon 40D is a shining example.

Keep the images coming Ray. We all like seeing your work

Excellent idea! I have several printed 5" x 7" photos of her (and the other fellow with the sled), on premium photo paper at 337 dpi. I was planing to burn a CD with the photos (RAW formatted to TIFF), and then take the prints and the CD to KJMP in North Pole, since they may have an idea of who these two persons are.

I have sent you a PM.
    Thanks! I think that she'd really enjoy having them. Thanks for the PM, too.
    Lurker.

Great action shots Ray!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Quote Originally Posted by tull777 View Post
    Great action shots Ray!
    Thanks, tull777

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Thanks! I think that she'd really enjoy having them. Thanks for the PM, too.
    I sent you another PM with the details. Glad that you know the lady, since I just have to find out who the guy behind the sled is to give him a couple of photos. I will probably take them to KJMP.

Ray

I sent you another PM with the details. Glad that you know the lady, since I just have to find out who the guy behind the sled is to give him a couple of photos. I will probably take them to KJMP.

Ray

I'll let her know to come here, too, to see if she knows the guy.
    I saw her walk into Barnes and Noble just last Thursday and I recognize the guy with her.
    Once I know, I'll let you know, too.
    Lurker.