Thread: Remington Model 81 - ever heard of it?

Default Remington Model 81 - ever heard of it?

A friend has a very old Remington Model 81. It's a semi-auto rifle in 300 Savage caliber. Rifle is very heavy and in excellent shape. It's made off a Browning pat. Anyone know the approximate years this rifle was made? Anyone have an idea of it's value? The serial number is 50xxx.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterak View Post
    A friend has a very old Remington Model 81. It's a semi-auto rifle in 300 Savage caliber. Rifle is very heavy and in excellent shape. It's made off a Browning pat. Anyone know the approximate years this rifle was made? Anyone have an idea of it's value? The serial number is 50xxx.
    Yeah, the 81 was the successor to the Model 8, made from the mid-30's through the late 40;s and maybe barely into the 1950's, as I recall. While the 8 was made in 25, 30, 32 and 35 Remington calibers, the 81 dropped the 25 caliber, and in very small print added the 300 Savage. I'm surprised by that latter addition, and I thought I knew a fair bit about Remingtons. Learn something new every day! I was all set to tell you that there's no such beast, but double checked, and sure enough found it in print. I have no clue if there's any extra value due to the chambering, but it's certainly not one that I've ever seen, much less knew existed.

Very interesting, indeed!

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Default Model 81

Those old autos have killed a lot of game. I know several people that had great sucess killing deer and black bear with that rifle. They are a little heavy but they are pretty dependable. They are not hard to find and probably would go for around 300.00 or so depending on the caliber.

Here is a nice original one. It seems the 300 Savage does bring a premium over the Remington calibers, as you might expect do to the numbers made. I don't think this one survived the war but maybe for enough to use up parts, etc but for sure not much past the early 1950's.

My dad had a collection of them and the model 8's but I never saw a 300 Savage in one. It seems they are coming out now. The 50,xxx number would be later manufacture.

I think the one below is 36,xxx and looks original.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=123780489
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Old Remington

The Model 8 was the forerunner of the Model 81--which was practically the same rifle,except for the addition of a pistol grip stock and beefier forearm.The Model 8 was made from 1906-1936,while the 81 was made from 1936-1950. According to John Henwood's book "The Great Remington 8 and Model 81 Rifles"--the Model 8 was John Browning's favorite hunting rifle. According to the same book--the 50,XXX serial # (on a Model 81)would indicate a 1949 production date. I used to see some of these rifles at gun shows back in Northern NY--and most of the 81's were in 300 Savage caliber. As I recall,the "starting" (asking) price was usually around $400--that was about 5 years ago. I have an old Model 8 in my gun cabinet--and it has become my favorite gun. It shoots great,is very dependable,and I've taken lots of deer and bear with the standard 200 grain Remington factory load (oh--it's a .35 Rem). Not to mention the history behind it--and it's just plain fun to shoot! These guns don't really take well to scope mounting,being top-eject models....but if you don't mind open sights--I think you'd have fun with that rifle!

Default .300 savage

Dad bought his after he got back from the Korean conflict. I am not sure about the serial #, but Dad put lots of meat on the table with his gun.

Fun guns but pay attention if you take it apart for cleaning.