Thread: Coming to Alaska w/ boat

Default Coming to Alaska w/ boat

Hello folks,

This is my first post in the forum and need some advice. I have an aluminum boat; 16 ft, semi-V, with a 40hp prop. It's new and in great shape. It was willed to me by my father in law.

I'm coming to AK and want to know if this is sea worthy for the rivers and Prince William Sound. It's 6ft wide at the transom and about 3ft deep. Basically it's a heavy duty jon.

I know the prop is an issue in Alaskan waters. But as is, could I expect to use this boat in the state or is it too small for the water up there?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

you should be able to run the big su as long as you stay in the main channel and you have a short shaft. prince william sound is doable in a 16 footer as long as you arent headed too far away from land. stay ner shore and watch the weather and you should be fine. id get a bigger jet if you can for river running and use the prop for the salt. i definatley would not leave it behind.

Thanks AKriverrat,

I was there in 1994-98 and did a black bear hunt in the sound. I hope to do that again but this time w/ my boat. The sound was very calm but the day after we left, a storm hit. Watching the weather like you said will be a key point taken.

This time, I don't plan to leave AK. Love it!

What make is your boat? 2 stroke or 4 stroke motor? I am not sure if I would take a jon boat (flat bottom variety) out in the sound. Actually I know I would not. The two car seats I see in the rear view mirror have really mellowed me out. I ran an 18 foot Klamath out there for a bit, but always had an eye on the weather. We took it all the way out to the Gulf on a week long trip once. The nice thing about PWS are all the little hidey holes, so safe refuge is there.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    What make is your boat? 2 stroke or 4 stroke motor? I am not sure if I would take a jon boat (flat bottom variety) out in the sound. Actually I know I would not. The two car seats I see in the rear view mirror have really mellowed me out. I ran an 18 foot Klamath out there for a bit, but always had an eye on the weather. We took it all the way out to the Gulf on a week long trip once. The nice thing about PWS are all the little hidey holes, so safe refuge is there.

Retired 2017: First and foremost, welcome to the site!

What has happened to your sense of adventure? Oh, I get it, it was overtaken by common sense.........Actually, and you already know this; 16 foot boats can be very seaworthy, yet I would rather skip going out into the sound in a really small boat unless it was absolutely perfect. Heck, it doesn't take much for my CD 22 to feel pretty insignificant when things kick up. I can't imagine what it would feel like in a boat that is even smaller. Just curious, where'd you go out in the gulf in the Klamath? Down by the light house? Or, even farther out?

If his boat has a 4 stroke on the back of her, it would probably make a very good Kenai River boat.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Retired 2017: First and foremost, welcome to the site!

What has happened to your sense of adventure? Oh, I get it, it was overtaken by common sense.........Actually, and you already know this; 16 foot boats can be very seaworthy, yet I would rather skip going out into the sound in a really small boat unless it was absolutely perfect. Heck, it doesn't take much for my CD 22 to feel pretty insignificant when things kick up. I can't imagine what it would feel like in a boat that is even smaller. Just curious, where'd you go out in the gulf in the Klamath? Down by the light house? Or, even farther out?

Light house? Never saw one. Where abouts is it? We poked around out side of the passages on a very flat day. I sometimes wish I would have kept that boat. Good times.

On the road system, the best halibut fishing,close to shore,will be at anchor pt.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Light house? Never saw one. Where abouts is it? We poked around out side of the passages on a very flat day. I sometimes wish I would have kept that boat. Good times.

This one:
    http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=831

Gotcha TR. I have been in that area with the old Hewescraft, but never really looked. Too busy with the flatfish and lings! I will be heading that direction for a week once school gets out, though. I might have to check it out.

Lots of boats like the one you describe are used up here. The engine, as pointed out, is on the small side for jet use, but I bet you will get some good use out of it until/if you decide on something different. Boats need to match what you primarily want to do and until you decide that, you can at least get on some water with yours. Welcome home.

Glad to get all the traffic on the post. Thanks guys.

As far as the motor, unfortunately, its a 2 stroke but I wasn't going to argue my father-in-law when he left it to my wife and I. The motor has 3 hrs on it. The boat doesn't look like it ever got wet.

I'm not sure if I should trade it off for a 4 stroke or if I'll loose my tale in the trade.

I guess for now I'll run it as is. Maybe it'll get me back on some lakes for some hunting.

Default Lots of boats that size out of Valdez....

Mostly fishing in the harbor area which goes out a few miles. Then, if the weather is picking up, you are not too far from port. Even the harbor can get 4 footers, esp. when the tide is going one way and the wind the other way. Better have a gps, even a hand-held can get you back to port in the fog...long as someone with radar doesn't run you over!

What you might think about is where your boat is ideal, ie: Kenai with a different motor, etc. Then make friends with someone with a bigger boat for PWS, and trade trips!

Good luck, maybe I'll join you for good up there when I retire too!

Is my 40 hp worth converting to a jet or should I go with larger motor and go 4 cycle? I kind of think if I am pumping cash into this boat, I may want to just get a larger deep V.

Yah, I probably answered my own question....