Thread: Where for DUCKS...labs are driving me crazy!

Default Where for DUCKS...labs are driving me crazy!

any ducks flying out there...anchorage, wasilla, palmer, etc? I have two labs that are driving me crazy! They need to chase some birds...have not hunted much for ducks up here...done more big game but need help with ducks.

Gots dogs, atv, and leg...can rent a boat...any suggestions?
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Just hold your horses their on their way. I'm thinking this weekend should be good. Shoulen't be long now. try the flats you need a boat. Palmer slough is where I get all mine. But been doing it for some time and know witch way the stick floats if you know what I mean. also jim lake and cotton wood creek and goose bay are all good spots. Never did the 20 mile. To far from home. I'm guessing we may of had some birds come in lastnight. Late .We had the sky for it. I know a little about ducks Their what I do best

Default Jim Lake

how to get to Jim Lake?
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Take old glen out of palmer towards the butte turn left on maud road. Will turn to dirt. Jim lake is at the end, but if you stop at Mud lake the 1st lake. You will have better hunting ops. a lot more area to hunt . I suggest a map. Also you can't really see mud lake to good from the road esp.. in the dark. and where you lanch your boat it is a bit tricky . I have done it with a 2 wheel drive chevy lov (P.O.S.) but would sugest 4x4 with some ground clearece. Also used a 4x4 chevy sub . perfer My Xterra. just look for a big turn out on the right side of the road ,should be some rigs parked there too. I don't hunt this area much any more. Good luck,

grizzeyes

Duckman, I'm seriously thinking of moving over to the Mat su valley. I do have a 16ft sled but no jet. With the price of gas these days, I want to settle in an area where most of the good duck hunting is within a 20 min drive as I will be able to hunt every day if I wanted. I also like to fly fish creeks and rivers for salmon and trout but the duck hunting means more to me than the fishing. In your opinion where should I set my sights on?

First thing To hell with the jet anyway. Go to a mud motor. A16 footer with a 18 to 20 Hp mud motor also a wench is a must also. And you can go any place you want. It would also be a good idea to have some wheels so you can portage that boat if need be like out on duck flats.
    Also ducklake is limited to 20 hp. Mud, ,swan lakes you don't need the wheels but the mud moter is still the best idea.Also once you have that mud motor go out and look .I know there are some good places to duck hunt out here that no one is hunting. People are to laze to look for them selves. Thats what I'd do. I will add I have never seen as many people on the flats as I have seen this year. I'm thinking of moving to one of the places I'v found , That no one knows of YET!

grizzeyes

well yes, your right and I can appreciate the need to scout it out and to not be lazy. I don't mind you saying it....Sometimes it's just a fact of life if one wishes to be a true hunter. However speaking, the fact, is in my 33 yrs of duck hunting I have never had to deal with scouting. Back home, I hunted private clubs all my life and in calif the ducks come to us and the decoys are already on the water from the beginning to the end of the season. the ducks season opened today down there and the teal ate everybody up alive. all 11 blinds limited out with teal mallards pintail redheads, cans ringnecks gadwall i can't wait until nov. 30th when i'll be back there to teal heaven

I myself had a hard time finding ducks, Ive hunted maud lake and jims lake but i dont have a motor, I have a nice little two seater duck boat and paddle power. I really really want to get on some greenheads, When do they get out of town?
    Steve