Thread: Martin Lake Cordova

Default Martin Lake Cordova

Fishing Martin Lake for the first time this year. US Forest service cabin reserved end of August first part of September. I have always fished the Kettlla River just up from Martin Lake so looking for any insight to the fishing on Martin Lake and the Rivers that feed off the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by bgbingha View Post
    Fishing Martin Lake for the first time this year. US Forest service cabin reserved end of August first part of September. I have always fished the Kettlla River just up from Martin Lake so looking for any insight to the fishing on Martin Lake and the Rivers that feed off the lake.
    You are lucky - this system has very good silver fishing; but you are on the early side of the run. So cross your fingers for early rain; otherwise, the silvers get stuck down by the mouth and you won't be walking to them (12-15 miles one way); if that is the case just work the dollies and bows. When the silvers come in there will be lots and lots of them, just go downstream a half mile or so from the cabin and start fishing. There will be plenty in every deep slot, backwater, and bank cover feature. There is a little creek (martin creek) where you will see spawning fish (if they have started); it is too small to land a fish in there. Usual flies work. You can get silvers to chase surface wogs there, both in the backwaters of the river, as well as the lake itself.

There are overwintering sea-run dollies in the lake, 2-3 pound fish on average, they are stacked up around the creek mouths, by the cabin and at the ones upstream end of the lake. The creeks are tiny so you kinda fish in the lake where the creeks come in. Just throw something orange at them and they will bite it (polar shrimp, globugs, etc.). A (working) rental motor is very useful as the skiff I remember was old and heavy and clunky and didn't row very well with worn oarlocks.

There are some nice rainbows, and more dollies, in martin river and creek that you can catch on globugs and esl's. There are supposed to be trophy cutts but I did not catch any.

Default Martin Lake Report

bgbingha - got your message from March. Sorry for the delayed reply, haven't logged on for a few months. It looks like you've turned off receiving private messages, so I'll post here (also so everyone else can read as well).

Ended up going to Martin Lake last mid/late August. Gambled a bit on that timing, as it was earlier than I would have liked, but got lucky, as the coho run was just kicking into high gear when we got there. It had rained the week previously and the river was relatively high when we arrived, but dropped as the days passed and more and more fresh fish kept showing up. The week you're going is probably a safer bet as far as ensuring the silvers will be there, although you never know. If I went again I would go later so as to be safe on the run timing. Lots of dollies were around and a few rainbows. I'm a fly fisherman and found the coho were pretty aggressive to the fly, probably would have been too much with lures. Most of the fish were very bright, though as the run progresses they probably get a bit more dour. Saw dark sockeyes up the lake with a few in the outlet river. Dollies always in these areas.

Saw no one else, except for a guide that flew in with some clients one day to fish the river. Definitely recommend bringing at outboard to get around, the boat is very heavy to row. It's possible to float down the river and then shoot or line back up, very pleasant way to fish the river. The cabin wasn't too bad, but very messy when we got there. Previous users left garbage and food everywhere. Stove was a bit tempermental, hard to get it going much, but was fine with warm weather of late summer. Wouldn't be the same story in October or November though! Lots of great hikes in area and good viewpoints if energy and time permit.

There are special regulations for the trout (catch and release) - probably a good thing as the cabin must bring a decent amount of pressure. The salmon have a reduced limit too - probably want to check the special regs before you go.

Let me know if you have specific questions. Would have liked to go back this year, but trouble getting permit, let me know if you decide not to go