View Poll Results: 7wt Fly Reel - Which would you choose?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lamson Velocity V3 - $135

13 46.43%
  • Ross Flywater #3 - $59

2 7.14%
  • Lamson Radius 3 - $110

0 0%
  • Ross Cimarron C5 - $250

13 46.43%

Thread: Fly Reel if you had to choose...

Question Fly Reel if you had to choose...

If you had to choose between the listed fly reels, which one would it be? I'm in the market for a 7wt to replace my POS Wright and McGill.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Galvan rush or Orvis mid arbor

Default fly logic

i would look at the fly logic FLO model

I've got a 10wt FLP....not really too impressed with it. I know the FLP is the "bottom" of the Fly Logic line. I'm looking for a good reel thats not gonna break the bank...the FLO is a bit out of my price range @ $385 bux.

I love Ross reels they make good reels and good service I am big into large arbor reels. I would look at Ross' CLA (fish Alaska best value 2007) which is a large arbor hybrid for about $200
    I voted Cimarron because I have one and love it and I haven't herd much about the flywater( I haven't looked much)

Default Lamson for me

I am in building a new 7wt right now, and I picked up a Velocity 3 for it. I have 4 other lamson reels, and I am happy with them all. I have a Radius and like it, but you can't take the clicker out of them, which is the only thing I don't like about it. I hate reels that click, and the rest of the Lamsons you can take the little plastic clicker out.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default Flywaters are being discontinued

The Ross Flywater is a nice reel for the price. I have two that I use for my stillwater fishing with 5 wt and 6 wt lines. The Flywaters are being discontinued though, so you might want to concentrate on the others instead. they'll still honor the warranty though, and if you can spring for two of them plus extra spools you might be in good shape for several years.

Though that would work, I think a better bet would be the Ross Cimarron LA. CLA 3 would be the right size.

Big Ross fan here. But to be honest, the Lamson Velocity is the best reel I have ever bought for the money. Got them for my 7 wt outfit. Love them.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Angry It's called research.

Who makes up these polls

Ross CLA 5, for a 7 weight fly rod. Did anyone look at the specs for the reel and backing. Maybe a Ross CLA 4 and that will give you 200 to 250 yds of backing depending on your 7 wt. line. Ross World Wide not made in the USA. Buy what builds the country.
    Ross and all reel manufactures consider the weight of the reel to match the rods. If your going with the thought bigger reels for the sake of backing capacity, who on this board can honestly say they seen 600 feet of backing. Don't turn trout or salmon fishing into big game like tarpon or permit.

Large arbor reels: Only significant advantage, line retrieval is faster and greater backing capacity but then again, who has seen the arbor of there reel.
    Last edited by Tailingloop; 03-02-2009 at 02:14. Reason: Added class

That was a typo on my part. It should be the CLA 4.

Default details. . .

He said Cimarron C5, not CLA 5. . . not that it means much as both are too big for what Sith plans to use them for.

Sith, even a CLA 4 is bigger than you need. The CLA 3 is probably best for what you described. With a 7wt it's still going to hold 100+ yards of backing. If you have a trout get that far from you, it's most likely a goner anyway. With typical trout gear the hook will pull out or the leader will break due to the weight of line and current force, or the fish will be around so much wood, rocks, etc. that you couldn't extricate him anyway.

Default Get it right!

You should read my full reply the key words "Maybe a Ross CLA 4" just in case Sith would like to buy maybe a 9 weight. Then rather than buying another reel, he could just buy an extra spool.

You are aware they no longer manufacture the Cimarron series but you can find them. And Ross still warranties and services, one of the best reels they ever made. If your willing to spend $250.00 as mentioned in the poll question let me know, I'll make you a screaming deal on as many as you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Charholio View Post
    He said Cimarron C5, not CLA 5. . . not that it means much as both are too big for what Sith plans to use them for.

Sith, even a CLA 4 is bigger than you need. The CLA 3 is probably best for what you described. With a 7wt it's still going to hold 100+ yards of backing. If you have a trout get that far from you, it's most likely a goner anyway. With typical trout gear the hook will pull out or the leader will break due to the weight of line and current force, or the fish will be around so much wood, rocks, etc. that you couldn't extricate him anyway.

Too much coffee

The Lamson is a better reel for the price the OP said he can get it for. I own 4 Ross reels and love them, but can't deny that the Lamson is more reel for the money. I say get the Velocity and put the extra dough towards a quality line and some new flies. Spring will be here soon.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have owned Ross Reels in the past, but traded them all in once I discovered Lamson. I use the Lamson Radius on my smaller rods (4-6 weights), and the Lamson Velocity on my salmon/steelhead rods (7 weight and larger). They're good looking, well balanced, great drags, no maintenance, etc. They also have a lifetime warranty, though I've never needed to use it.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default goosefrabba

[quote=Tailingloop;445195]You should read my full reply the key words "Maybe a Ross CLA 4" just in case Sith would like to buy maybe a 9 weight. Then rather than buying another reel, he could just buy an extra spool. [quote]

?? Forgive me if I missed something, Tailingloop. Maybe I'm overlooking your reference to a 9 wt in your previous post, but all I keep seeing is 7 wt. Sith only asked about reels for a 7wt. ??

Sith, for what it's worth, Ross Reels are made in the USA. Ross Worldwide Reels (as previously mentioned) are made abroad. The two share a website but offer different products and have different warranties. A Ross CLA is a USA made reel; a Ross Worldwide Flywater is not.

Thumbs up

Thanks for all of the input. I only need a 7 wt reel as that is my workhorse throughout the fishing season.

I have no need to upgrade to a 9 wt as I already have a Fly Logic FLP 890.

I was very disappointed that my Wright & McGill only lasted 3/4 of a season after the cork disc for the drag disintegrated.

Ross Cimarron or Lamson Velocity will work out better for you. Both are great reels in my opinion.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I checked out these reels on Cabelas.com and read the reviews. Unfortunately the Lamson only has one review, but the person rated it 5 out of 5. The Ross had five reviews and also got 5 out of 5. Obviously everyone had good things to say.

C3 (in black) for $195 or Velocity 3 for $269 (I realized after the fact Sith posted the prices in the poll, but they didn't line up with the prices I found on the closest models on the cabela's site). Either way all the reviews are good.

Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with a Ross.
    Last edited by scott_rn; 03-03-2009 at 23:43. Reason: price discrepancy explanation

Go with the ross. They are nearly indestructible! I abuse the crap out of mine and have had no issues.
    Support our countries economy, buy American made, ROSS.