Thread: Shooting shot out of a rifled barrel?

Default Shooting shot out of a rifled barrel?

I picked up a CVA Mountain pistol kit at the gunshow. I bought the expensive kit at 75.00. I thought it was a good deal. Brought it home and had the thing ready to stain in an hour.

So what am I going to do with this pistol? THought maybe Id put some birdshot in it maybe? How is shooting shot through a rifled barrel? Does it lead it up a bunch? Horrible patterns?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I picked up a CVA Mountain pistol kit at the gunshow. I bought the expensive kit at 75.00. I thought it was a good deal. Brought it home and had the thing ready to stain in an hour.

So what am I going to do with this pistol? THought maybe Id put some birdshot in it maybe? How is shooting shot through a rifled barrel? Does it lead it up a bunch? Horrible patterns?
    Hey Matt,

I've shot a bunch of it out handguns because I used to live in real serious snake country. 44, 375/38, and 22. I tried the 44 on cottontails run by our dogs, too. Up here I shot a bunch through Contenders, both the 44 hotshot barrel and the 45/410 barrel. In the 44 revolver max effective range for rabbits with Speer shot caps was around 15 feet, and that far away you usually needed help from the dogs to find them after getting a pellet or two into them. The 44 hotshots would go about 15 yards for ptarmigan, and a 410 shell from the 45/410 barrel would go maybe 20. I only tried one magazine of rounds home loaded with bare shot from a 45 ACP. And spent many long hours getting lead out of the barrel.

Cool gun you have for sure, but I'd plan on using some pretty large shot, preferably hard, if you wanted more than one projectile coming out the hole at once.

May as well toss in an interesting side story about shot from a revolver. I found myself with a torqued rattler right between my feet one time. Emptied the 44 at it's head. Hit neither snake nor feet with a single pellet. Yeah, I was rattling too, but to this day I have no clue where the shot was landing in that cloud of dust.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post

Here is an untested idea, load the shot in a plastic sabot. Shotgun shells are loaded that way. Keeps the shot together longer and would keep it out of the rifling. I bought a Harpers Ferry flint-.58 cal. thought I would try the shot in it with sabot, will let you know outcomes.

I hunted Blue Grouse in Montana with the contender .45/.410 with great success. As you know it has an insert for the muzzle to counter rotate the shot so the pattern doesn't spiral out.
    Good Hunting
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default spin spreads the shot !

I would bet that the pattern falls apart in a very short distance due to the rifling imparting a spin on the shot charge ! Try a buckshot load in a rifled shotgun barrel ! turns it into a real scattergun ! great for short distances like in home defense !

Yeah, hearing what happens, I believe your right casey. It works, but patterns are only good out to 10 yards or so,