Thread: .22 varmint shooters

Default .22 varmint shooters

I'd like to here some personal experience about the 22-250 vs. 220 swift. Benefits of one or the other? Seems like the swift is the leader with the 22-250 on its heels. Ammo availability and price go with the 22-250 though.

Moving to kansas, gonna get a varmint rifle for mostly coyotes. Maybe an occasional prairie dog.

Don't try to sell me on your 25-06 or 257 WBY... I know there are other calibers that may get me more range and speed and wind bucking ability... I'm interested in these two though.

Thanks guys,
    schmidty

Check out the 204 ruger before you jump, may not be the badest, but pretty neet!...desertdog

Well between the two, I dont see much difference. I guess I would choose the 22-250. Less recoil, loaded ammo is cheaper and in much more of a selection. That would come more into play though if you wanted to shoot lots of praire dogs.

The guys over at predator masters report some nasty damage is possible on fur with both cartridges. But they seem to think a Soft point is the way to go.

Default .22-250

I have a .22-250 in a Ruger number one. It is by far my favorite rifle to shoot. They are relatively cheap to reload, there are numerous bullets available, it’s very accurate and it is fast! You will have no problem with coyotes or any other small game (ground squirrels produce a magnificent show…).
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Default Shoot a lot?

If you shoot a lot the .220 will eventually burn the barrel, or so Ive heard. I have a Remington model 700 (older one) 22-250 and I have to agree with TMA is by far my favorite rifle to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    I'd like to here some personal experience about the 22-250 vs. 220 swift. Benefits of one or the other? Seems like the swift is the leader with the 22-250 on its heels. Ammo availability and price go with the 22-250 though.

Moving to kansas, gonna get a varmint rifle for mostly coyotes. Maybe an occasional prairie dog.

Don't try to sell me on your 25-06 or 257 WBY... I know there are other calibers that may get me more range and speed and wind bucking ability... I'm interested in these two though.

Thanks guys,
    schmidty
    6mmBR is a very serious round for varmints. Will not drift in the wind like the 22-250 or 220. 6mm period is great for P'dogs
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Of the two you mention I'd prefer a 22-250. Its simply much more available in a variety rifles and ammunition. The 220 Swift is faster but only slightly.

Other than logistically, I don't know that there's any practical difference.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    If you shoot a lot the .220 will eventually burn the barrel, or so Ive heard. I have a Remington model 700 (older one) 22-250 and I have to agree with TMA is by far my favorite rifle to shoot.

the 220 will burn out your barrel if you load it up to the max...

I would go with the 22-250 of the two, for the same reasons that others suggest.

I would also suggest that you look at others, the 6.5 Grendel is a good round too, and you can get it for a standard AR platform.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Well thanks for the info so far guys. I do have to admit I am leaning towards the 22-250. I am curious about the 204 ruger and possibly a 243 or a 6mm or some sort but last time I asked this question I had people telling me to go up, up, up! It got ridiculous. I have a 7mm Rem Mag, and a 338 so I don't need to go up. I want a dedicated varmint rifle... I don't need a utilitarian. 243 and 6mm would definitely add to my range a little and buck the wind but at the cost of more recoil and... well added cost be it a little. 204 ruger seems ok, but it is pushing up and over 4000 fps so won't it burn up the barrel too?

schmidty

Come up and shoot the 220 swift when I go on leave, then you will have the personal experience.

You with your big fancy avatar.

Default Kansas

I'm not sure what the difference in PD's in Kansas and other parts of the US are; are these the ones which wear body armor?
    I've shot PDs in Texas, NM, Colo, Wyo, Mont,Okl,and both Dakotas but never Kansas.
    WE (as in my 3 shooting buddies and I) have shot many/most different calibers at PDs and other varmints. After 20 years we've just about all come to the same conclusion. The 223 Rem is the cheapest to shoot and doesn't heat the barrels as fast as the bigger rounds. The 220 Swift doesn't damage a barrell any more than a 22-250 at the same velocities; the swift just has the capability to go faster if needed. The best barrells to use are fluted stainless steel. The flutes seem to help cool the barrell and stiffen the barrell; temps can exceed 100* and it doesn't take many shots to heat a barrell. Most of our rifles are built around the PPC and BR cartridge family
    The most accurate of the calibers seems to be the PPC and BR family if that is your concern. They are available in 220 Russian, 22 PPC, 6PPC, 22 BR, 6 BR ,7 BR as standard loadings and have available brass and dies.
    My last thing would be consider the AR platform rifles using the WSSM calibers. The 223, 243 & 25 WSSM calibers are available in a semi-auto rifle and have been used to very good advantage on coyotes and smaller varmints. The AR platform is also capable of shooting the other calibers with only an upper change and a magazine full of the proper ammo. The 243 WSSM w/55-60 grain bullets is capable of over 4000 FPS as well.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The 223 Rem is the cheapest to shoot and doesn't heat the barrels as fast as the bigger rounds.

I love my .223 for woodchucks, the furthest shot i have taken and connected with it was a little over 400 yards (laser) in NY. We dont get the chance for the longer shots like you do in the mid west.

the .223 is a great varmint round.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Not to change the subject but where are you going in Kansas? My wife has relatives in Kansas near Kensington which is in the north western part of the state. We have 200 some odd acres there (its all farm land and pasture) but its a nice state. Every time we go to visit I have lots of fun lots of turkey, deer, and birds there. Its not Alaska but its nice.

Default .22-250 versatility

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post

Thanks guys,
    schmidty
    .22-250 versatility....

The ol' .220 Swift is a bit 'more swift' than the .22-250, but for practical purposes on your game selection with field of choice there is no real-world performance difference other than a little trajectory, time of flight, velocity and energy.

The .220 is going to be more expensive than the .22-250 all things considered... whether you purchase factory loaded ammunition or load/re-load your own.

I think you will find more readily available selections with the .22-250 on firearms, factory ammunition, and ammunition loading components. Erosion, burn-out, etc. are more old school news than new understandings/limitations, and only begin to develop under mostly extreme circumstances, over-dosing, or misuse of both chamberings/cartridges.

Food for thought - I like the 40-55grain .223REM at one end to .58grain .243WIN at the other for your given purpose. The .22-250 fills this spread quite perfectly - I'd have to say.