Thread: Feedback on Wiggy's Ground Pad

Default Feedback on Wiggy's Ground Pad

Hi,

I purchased last month from Wiggy's a black "Hunter Ultima Thule" sleeping bag with a hood after a couple of weeks of research. According to Wiggy's website, this model is rated down to -20 degrees F. Although it weighs 8.10 lbs, which the vendor clearly warns about, I was impressed with the quality and would not mind at all buying another Wiggy's product.

Not long ago, I called Jerry Wigutow to inquire about a ground pad I noticed on his company's website. Of course Jerry recommended a Wiggy's single black ground pad size Long 72" x 28" ($84.00). According to Wiggy's website, their "ground pads are unique because the padding is a polyester fiber and not foam. Foam has several faults, such as losing resilience once the temperature drops below 32 degrees, getting hard and retaining moisture. If it is self-inflating and is punctured it becomes useless. The patch kits have never worked. The exterior fabric of Wiggy's is textured, waterproofed 300 denier polyester. It is very similar to corduroy. The padding is Densified Polyester Fiberfill. For years, manufacturers of futons have used this fiberfill construction as their padding ... in a 2" thickness it works so well that it can be used alone in winter conditions. Most winter campers use two foam pads, but with the Wiggy pad one is all you need. The fiber differs from foam in several respects. The fiber is completely unaffected by water and will inflate without a valve. Two 1" web belts are positioned at one end, so you can roll it up tight as possible and cinch it down."

I decided to reach out to other members of this forum hoping I can get an honest advice whether Wiggy's ground pad is the way to go or it best I go with Therm-a-Rest type of pad. To help you in making a recommendation, here's a little background info:

1. I don't know jack about outdoor products as I am not the outdoorsman type. I don't go camping. I don't hunt. I don't hike.
    2. I live in a big metropolitan city on the east coast. Temperatures fall down to 15 degrees F in winter.
    3. I would like to purchase a ground pad which would compliment my Wiggy's black sleeping bag size 36" x 92".
    4. Money is no object when it comes to quality. I save my money and always try to buy the best.
    5. The purpose of owning a sleeping bag and a ground pad is strictly for survival reasons. I want to be prepared in case their was ever a natural disaster or in case I find myself without a home as a result of a prolonged economic crisis. I don't foresee myself using the pad in a desert environment. If I find myself in need to use the sleeping bag and ground pad, it will likely be in either a city, suburb, back woods, or the mountains.
    6. I have plenty of information regarding closed-cell foam and self-inflating pads (Therm-a-Rest's Z-rest, RidgeRest, Camp Rest, etc.).
    7. I would like to be able to firmly roll my sleeping bag underneath my Kelty backpack and the ground pad rolled on top of the backpack. Again, I don't know if this is doable as I am a newbie to this outdoor/survival stuff.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Tony

No experience with the Wiggys beyond reading the specs and my own bag's. I have the BA insulated Air core bag and it has served me well. If I was considering a potential long term urban environment post disaster, apocolypto deal where it is likely that you would find a location to "hunker down" potentially long term, then the Wiggys pad as you describe it sounds like a very good choice. It would still give you the packability required to move rapidly if you were compromised, but provide you more durability. I like the Big agnes Air Core pads for their light weigh and extreme packability. I however use mine hunting sheep in the mountain and pack and move nearly nightly. Also space is a tight comodity in my pack and with all the alders etc I prefer to put everything inside and hate "lashing" as you describe. For your use the Wiggys would likely be a great choice and for the first time I would reccomned a pad other than the BA insulated air core. If you go with the wiggys pad way I would be interested in hearing what your thoughts are on it first hand!

On a side note if you haven't already found them you should check out the sea to summit event dry bags. If you are lashing gear to the outside of packs then quality dry bags are a must! These are about the best and very light weigh too! I would certainly check to see if you can pick one up each, sized for thule and for the pad. Nothing beats a dry place to sleep!

Default Feedback on Wiggys Ground Pad

I too purchased a bunch of equipment in preparation for 'bad luck' from the economic future. After a lot of research I purchased the SnugPak FTRSS and the Wiggies -20F FTRSS, along with a foam pad and the Wiggy Pad. Specific to your question about the Wiggy Pad, I slept in deep snow at +5F and found it very comfortable without a hint of cold. But, LuJon, regarding your remarks about tying this bag (and pad) to your Kelty pack... I just don't think that will fly. Wiggys make a long lasting and warm bag, but portability is not it's strength. If you really think you'll need to hump a pack out of your residence, get something lighter. I purchased the SnugPak (which feels better than the Wiggy's but isnt' nearly as warm) along with the Wiggys bag in anticipation of living without electricity, or having to live outside on the property if the house got burned down. But, a Wiggys bag really is not suitable, IMHO, for trekking. Both bags are too bulky and weigh too much. And the Pad just adds to the burden. Two 1/2" cell pads would offer about the same protection as the Wiggys Pad, at about a third the weight (similar bulk though).

Default Wiggy's sleep pad

I've got the Ftts system, and have used it a few years while hunting the back country. It's a nice bag, serious sleeping gear. I also have the Wiggy's sleep pad. It's a love hate relationship with all sleep pads. I've tried the blow-ups, what I call the "rubber *****" Murphy always accompany's me on my outings and he sure likes to play havoc with the blow-ups. So I tried out the Wiggy's pad. I liked the idea of not getting wet through the pad. Butttt,,,,,that pad is a monster to carry. And you'd think that ol' Wiggy would make his sleeping a bag and pad to interface with each other better. A simple extra layer of nylon on the sleeping bag would make for a nice pocket to put that pad into. Or maybe some snaps or clips to keep the bag and the pad mated together while horizontal.

The Wiggy's pad is a monster for sure to pack, it's marginally effective in the comfort department but it will keep you dry and warm.

Nothing funnier at 10:00 PM than to hear your buddies sleeping pad going "PSSSSSS" Nearly got myself all cramped up one night laughing so hard at his Rubber *****....he hehhe!
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

There's more than one model Wiggy Bag, and many are suitable for all kinds of trekking. Wiggy's had 9 bags that I know of in the top 20 Iditarod finishers this year and they saved more than one butt on this colder-than-normal race.

Taylor

Default Feedback on Wiggy's Ground Pad

Marc,

I appreciate you talking with me over the phone last week regarding Wiggy's ground pad. I have opted for Therm-a-Rest's, 4-season, RidgeRest Deluxe (25" x 77") which weighs 1lb.10oz. and is 0.75" thick (MSRP: $44.95) based on the fact that Wiggy's ground pad weighs 3.25lbs., MikeK's reply: "... tying this bag (and pad) to your Kelty pack... I just don't think that will fly. Wiggys make a long lasting and warm bag, but portability is not it's strength. If you really think you'll need to hump a pack out of your residence, get something lighter... Wiggys bag really is not suitable, IMHO, for trekking. Both bags are too bulky and weigh too much. And the Pad just adds to the burden" and Ex1811's: "... that pad is a monster to carry... The Wiggy's pad is a monster for sure to pack, it's marginally effective in the comfort department but it will keep you dry and warm."

I expect to receive the Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest closed-cell foam pad next week. I will lay it on the sidewalk, place my Wiggy's Hunter Ultima Thul sleeping bag on top and lay on them to check the level of comfort. If I discover that the comfort level is not up to my expectation then I will continue to research a product to go between the sleeping bag and ground pad. One of the products I might consider is Therm-a-Rest's Trail Lite self-inflating air mattress (25" x 77") (MSRP $69.95) though I am not too fond of the bright green color it comes in.

Regards,

Default Wiggys ground pad / bags

I love the wiggy long ground pad for winter backpacking. Had it for about a year. I roll it up, and tie it to the top of my wiggy DG-6 backpack with two 3 foot NRS raft straps, and it stays very securely... no wiggyling around at all. It always keeps me warm in the coldest temps in NJ (about 5-10 degrees), and I can sleep on thick snow without melting it. This is definitely not light gear. I do carry a heavy backpack in the winter, sometimes 60+lbs. As another poster said though, sometimes I find myself sliding off the pad when I'm not in a tent. I wish there was a grippy surface on one side of the pad to prevent this. I am thinking about sewing velcro on.

Tthe wiggy sleeping bags are the same thing. Very heavy, bulky, and dependable. I stopped using mine in favor of a down marmot bag, rated for the same temp as my wiggy bag was (-20) and it's much warmer, lighter, and smaller. It did cost 3x as much as the wiggy, but it was worth it.

I do realize I'm replying to a thread that's a year old, but this was the first thing that came up on google when i typed in "wiggys ground pad" and I wanted to share my experience with anyone thinking about buying one.