Thread: Ruger 380 lcp reloades.

Default Ruger 380 lcp reloades.

I just purchased a Ruger 380 Lcp. I like the idea of reloading all my firearms. I know it takes a small amount of powder. I was wondering if anyone on the forum is reloading for the 380. This will be my small ccw. I will buy factory loads for awhile tell I get a build up of brass and some dies.

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Seawolf,

I have two LCP's. One for my pocket and one for my wifes purse, very small and easily concealed. Not my first choice for CCW but better than a pocket knife.

When I get in the mood to run a batch for the indoor range, (less than 25 yards) I use Berry's 100gr platted bullets. I load them in a Dillon Progressive 550B and use Hogdon Titegroup. The 550B powder measure handles this powder flawlessly.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/products.aspx?c=10

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...atid/1/RL_550B

http://www.hodgdon.com/shotpist.html

2.8gr of Titegroup
    CCI 500 primers
    Starline brass
    100gr Berry's bullets

COL .978

I have not shot these through the Chrony but they function perfectly and recoil is minimal. This is a comfortable range load for my wife and daughter. Don't get carried away with the powder, a little goes a long way.

For carry I purchase factory Speer Gold Dot 90gr.

Thank you and right on Marshall. I know what you mean my pocket gun was a 25 acp my grandfather carried. Nice little colt 25 acp but a bit heavy for such a little thing. I liked the ruger light and compact. Just a bit larger than the 25. It is better than a sharp stick in the eye or throwing rocks. It will be my daughters new ccw when I get her used to shooting it. I will play with it awhile and turn it over to her soon. I just like to play with loads for something to do on my 2 weeks off from the slope. I May buy another as I like the way it feels might get a ankle holster. My 10 mm is still a good thumper. 2 is alway better than one right :]

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

The trigger really sucks but it's not a target pistol. If you use a slow squeeze and concentrate on your target the little LCP does a good job. My wife pulled all her shots to the left. She would get frustrated and lose interest in shooting the LCP.

I put a Crimson Trace laser on hers and it really helped to see how her trigger pull was causing problems. The light would move every time she pulled the trigger. Funny how she wouldn't listen until the evidence was overwhelming.

With a little practice and patience this pistol shoots well under 25 yards. As you know the tiny black on black sights are difficult to acquire but not necessary at personal defense distances.

The Titegroup can be over loaded very easily. The 2.8gr load that I use is right in the middle of the 2.6gr - 3.0gr recommended loads for the 380 with 100gr bullets. It functions the gun just fine.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Pro...1/Default.aspx

Default .380 Load

I've got a Keltec, P3AT in .380. Been loading 90 grain Hornady bullets over 2.8 to 3.2 grains of Unique powder and using CCI 500 primers.
    This load gives good ejection and is fun to shoot. To me the .380 in the pocket beats the .45 in the safe due to its being too heavy to carry.

marshall I was looking at the Crimson trace is that a whole new lower frame for the 380? I'm not going to have the chance to shoot it b4 I head up north, but it is fine I did get 5 great days of shooting in at the range the last 2 weeks with all my other shooters. ty gtram for the load ideas I use hornady bullets alot I'm up to date on there reload data. I myself tend to load on the lower to middle end of the data on everything I shoot, always have for some reason. Most of my firearms are third generation handed to me that my grandfather of great grand father shot, or grand mother. I want to hand them to my daughter in good shape. My grandma hunted around Nenana with a cool little 25-20 pump for wolves and had the 25 acp as her back up what a lady lol. I own both now

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    marshall I was looking at the Crimson trace is that a whole new lower frame for the 380?
    No, it's a two piece unit. The two pieces screw together like a clamp around the trigger guard. The windage and elevation are adjustable with a small allen wrench. Just center a red dot on the wall in front of your normal sight picture then head to the range and fine tune it.

Default CCW Ammo

Seawolf,
    Just be advised that most lawyers who advise CCW issues recommend that you carry factory ammo for self defense. It has to do with jury perception if you shoot someone. BAsed on everything I read, I load my practice ammo and carry factory. Just an observation.

Default Elsie pea

Thank you all for the info. Just got back into town from work and wanting to play with the Elsie pea. Dang I got one box of ammo with it when I purchased it. Now I need some ammo to continue my practice and it seems as if the Elsie has been a best seller and no ammo to be found. Anyone know of a shop in Anchorage or the Valley with a box of ammo. I can not even reload the 50 cases I have as there is no powder primers or bullets. Thank you for any info
    Bill

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign