Thread: Danattherock is evil

Default Danattherock is evil

So......
    I go to this Canon forum that Dan suggests... http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php
    and three days later now.. I have looked at several million pictures, and read hundreds of posts etc.. Now I have ordered several hundred dollars worth of camera stuff that I can not live without...,, yet a few days ago, I never even heard of some of the items..
    My wife thinks I am nuts, and when I told her that Dan sent me to the site, .. all she could say was.... " This Danattherock is evil "..
    Thanks Dan
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Your welcome

I never said it was an inexpensive hobby. My wife is as baffled as yours, I assure you.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    So......
    I go to this Canon forum that Dan suggests... http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php
    and three days later now.. I have looked at several million pictures, and read hundreds of posts etc.. Now I have ordered several hundred dollars worth of camera stuff that I can not live without...,, yet a few days ago, I never even heard of some of the items..
    My wife thinks I am nuts, and when I told her that Dan sent me to the site, .. all she could say was.... " This Danattherock is evil "..
    Thanks Dan
    At least your still in the "several hundred dollars" category. For me, that site is more addictive than this one!! One thing about it, it is a hobby that you can do for a long time!!
    EricL

Default new stuff

A few weeks ago I got the chance to play with the G10 canon. It is a pretty cool little camera with big attitude.
    It shoots RAW, it shoots like 4 FPS, 14.3 Megapixel, Image Stabilizer, shoots manual, has a tracking servo called motion detection tech. It shoots from under 100 iso up to 3200, It has face detection , and face detection self timer, makes HD movies with 30 fps. at 1080 p, and some more stuff..
    so I thought,,, well I will have to get one of these...
    So I get home and start looking at prices and such,, and you turn me onto this Canon site, and now I am not going to get the G10,//// I am going to get the SX1 IS that is coming to USA in April.
    It has all the same stuff as the G10, but also has a 28mm wide angle 20X optical zoom. Not as many pixels at 11.5 with a 10 megapixal actual use.
    ...Reading the threads from many of the pro shooters at the canon site, I see that many of them are using the G10 and the SX10 IS as grab and go, or incidental photo camera's and they are really using them alot.. The new
    with the RAW and all the manual settings etc. these little jewels are getting some great reviews..
    So,, anouther 600 bucks for that camera when it comes out in april in USA.
    Also did you see that new camera they have for under water? shoots at 33 feet deep in salt and shoots 12 megapixel ,, its shock proof also.. and its a pocket camera..
    just amazing stuff..

bla blah blah..... $$$$$ blah blah blah
    thats what my wife is hearing... lol

anyway..

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

bla blah blah..... $$$$$ blah blah blah
    thats what my wife is hearing... lol
    Remind her it is cheaper than prostitutes and drugs ha ha ha....
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Eric.. you need this!

http://www.s.leica-camera.com/leica-s-system/
    I guess its body price is $45,000. and then you can start with the glass...
    37.5 Mega pixel camera..... I was going to get it, but I am waiting for a full 38 megapixel model to come out

http://www.s.leica-camera.com/leica-s-system/
    I guess its body price is $45,000. and then you can start with the glass...
    37.5 Mega pixel camera..... I was going to get it, but I am waiting for a full 38 megapixel model to come out
    The home has survived my purchases thus far...I don't think it would make it through that purchase!! I have the Canon G9 that I take on the atv when I don't want to make it a photography trip and take all the gear. It does a nice job. It does take some getting used to. The main reason I got it was for the RAW function. If I should come across something that is photo worthy, I can process just like my other stuff. It doesn't perform well over ISO 400...Way to noisy. I heard they improved this problem a bit with the 10, though.
    EricL

Default Gee thanks!

Guys, make me feel inadequate with my Rebel XT 8mp with only my 18-55mm Lens...

:P

Default The camera does not

make a photographer..... and so I digress and admit that I have no proven talent for taking great pictures, even given a Leica $45,000 dollar camera my pictures would look just as well done with a disposable kodak from safeway.... Except the Leica would have 35 megapixel extra to show my inabilities.....
    I see what you guys and gals do with your camera's and I am oft times speechless as to how you have created such art..
    Goalie is an example of taking pictures that take my eye and make me want to look at the picture and study it..

Guys, make me feel inadequate with my Rebel XT 8mp with only my 18-55mm Lens
    and Dan your pictures from Maine and such are amazing to me,
    Eric, your pictures have such wonderful color and clean edges and contrast, Ray your pictures make me feel that I am seeing those scenes though my own eyes with depth and feeling,
    Tull, your talents are so many that where do you start...
    George, It is so cool that you have a desire to get even better by attending a class, and yet the stuff you have already posted in the past is great...
    Majik is of course has more talent in his little finger than most people have in their entire body..
    the list goes on,, and it should........
    Alaskan kid 13
    bow hunter
    AKSKeyMoe
    Sierra Hotel
    GeoAk
    Letshunt
    Stogey
    Buck Nelson
    Dstockto
    Hunt AK
    Dirtofak
    AKfirefighter
    Trapper rick
    kodiakbound
    AK roadkill
    BrianW
    Zissou
    Brooktrout
    AKDSLDOG
    Bork
    Strangerinstrangerland
    Daveinthebush
    Mark
    Nukalpiaq
    E-K-C
    Ramblingraven
    Gotfish
    Byrd Hntr
    olga
    fishon4mks
    Watcher
    Formallymontanabob
    mve
    Kingfisher
    Abitibi
    Akula
    The list goes on...
    Thanks you guys for posting your pictures,,
    I have looked at every one of them and admired something personel in each one.
    I have enjoyed every single picture too.

Default I weary of trying

to be Ansul Adams.... so I put away the fancy equipment and decided to just take pictures............ lol
    Thats how i feel sometimes..
    BUT,, and its a big But,,, I am going to learn and enjoy using camera's for variety of reasons... ,,, I will attempt to record some events in my life, so I can recollect and enjoy those moments again....

I will attempt to record some events in my life, so I can recollect and enjoy those moments again....
    I could not have said it better myself. Until I read this, I could not have told you why I love photography so much. Yet, now it would be easy. That is it man.

Example, my grandmother was recently put in a nursing home back in NC. The wife and I have been working on Nantucket, Mass for two years and made several trips up to Maine while here. I never realized how important pictures were until just two weeks ago I took her about 40 4x6 prints of various Nantucket/Maine images I had recently gotten. She looked like she would cry. Asked me a million questions, "where was this taken", "what is that", "when did you go there".... I will never understimate the power of a photograph again. Thanks to Alaskacanoe for articulating this so well. Below are a few images that she put fingerprints on more than others...

Default The Power of a Photograph...Indeed

Alaskacanoe-
    Congrats on taking what sounds like a big step on the slippery slope in the wonderful world of photography.
    I haven't posted (not sure what of mine holds a candle to some of the images in this forum)...
    But I watch from afar.

Danattherock-
    Those 'fingerprinted' images bring back some fond New England memories!
    Thanks for sharing...

The turn this thread took, reminds me of a song from Simon & Garfunkel, that is often in my mind when I shoot:

"Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
    A time of innocence
    A time of confidences

Long ago it must be
    I have a photograph
    Preserve your memories
    They're all that's left you"

~Simon & Garfunkel

Unfortunately, it's all too often true, so 'preserve your memories'...
    Note to self - 'Do NOT click on that Canon link!'

Doc

One of my favorite reads here on the AOD Forums. Really good stuff!

http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

The expensive part comes later, when the wife starts to understand how much you REALLY ended up spending on this sweet addiction we call photography . . my largest expense to date is the diamond ring she wanted for our anniversary . . . it costs more than all of my gear put together . . .