Thread: Rem 700 Age

Default Rem 700 Age

Anyone know how old this 700 BDL would be?
    Pre J lock.

SN: A678XXXX

Thanks

The letter code A equals 1980.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Check this Websight, and see if you can figger it out.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/ques...ACKPOWDERX.htm

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Got it.

Thanks

Default Thanks Smitty

That is a neat site, I checked my old adl 30-06 I bought 2nd hand when I was 11. It was made in June of 1969. Still shoots great!!
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Default Oldest Remington 700

I have a 700 ADL in 7mm Rem. Mag with a SN of 24xx. I figure this must be one of the very 7mm Rem. mags produced.

Anybody got an older 700? Most of the ones I see have SNs in the millions although I did see one at the gun show with a 5 digit SN.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Guys:
    Ya know what???

I have a Rem. 700 from I believe the FIRST year they were made.
    It has a 5 digit serial number.
    It HAD a 20 inch barrel, cal. 280, it's still a 280 with a 26 inch barrel nowadays.

The action has a square slot at the back where a slot for a stripper clip would be????
    This makes for the spacing for Weaver bases further apart, than they are on another 700 I have that was made probably only a year or two later, and doesn't have the slot.

This OTHER 700 in 7mm Rem. Mag. has a 6 digit Serial number, and it has the style, that I remember was changed probably about the 2nd or third year of the 700's manufacture.

I've been unable to determine the exact date of manufacture of either of these rifles, even from the Website that I so proudly posted, on this thread, BECAUSE, there are so many letters and symbols stamped on the barrel I can't tell which is for what, or what is for which.

Anyway, they are EARLY guns, so I guess that makes me Special.

One more thing, for tvfinak. (Or anyone else, who might know) I have read that very early 700s in Magnum Calibers, such as my 7mm Rem. had Stainless Steel barrels, BUT they were colored BLUE because it was thought that the public wasn't ready for White SS barrels.

I dunno how to tell if it is, or if it ain't. My Gunsmith would only say, "some of them were marked". If mine is not marked, I can't tell. If it is marked, I don't know what the mark is.

The mysteries that we Gun Loonies are forced to endure, are wearisome. Maybe, we should get some extry money from the Government.

Oh Well,
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default Mdl. 700 SS barrel

I took another look at the 700 and it could be a SS barrel with some sort of coating over it - there are some small spots "freckles" that that are shiney underneath and it is shiney like SS whre the front sight was removed. Also there are no sights of any rust on the barrel at all even though the gun has seen obvious use. I bought this gun a year or so because it was cheap - I think $200 with a scope in Beuhler mounts. So far I haven't even gotten around to shooting it.

I also dug out my Shooter Bible from 1963 and it states the .264 & 7mm Rem Mag have 24" SS barrels- the other calibers are not shown as SS and are 22". The 40X of that year was not avalaible with a SS barrel although they did offer the SS barrels a few years later.

My 700 also has the slot in the rear bridge - I think this was a carry over from the Model 721,722, & 725 days. The my mount covers the slot so i didn't notice it at first.

I note my rifle's safety also locks the bolt. Wasn't this bolt lock dropped on later rifles? I've never been a Rem 700 fan so I don't have one around to check.

Smitty - you are indeed special. Obama loves you!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Guys:
    Ya know what???

I have a Rem. 700 from I believe the FIRST year they were made.
    It has a 5 digit serial number.
    It HAD a 20 inch barrel, cal. 280, it's still a 280 with a 26 inch barrel nowadays.

The action has a square slot at the back where a slot for a stripper clip would be????
    This makes for the spacing for Weaver bases further apart, than they are on another 700 I have that was made probably only a year or two later, and doesn't have the slot.

This OTHER 700 in 7mm Rem. Mag. has a 6 digit Serial number, and it has the style, that I remember was changed probably about the 2nd or third year of the 700's manufacture.

I've been unable to determine the exact date of manufacture of either of these rifles, even from the Website that I so proudly posted, on this thread, BECAUSE, there are so many letters and symbols stamped on the barrel I can't tell which is for what, or what is for which.

Anyway, they are EARLY guns, so I guess that makes me Special.

One more thing, for tvfinak. (Or anyone else, who might know) I have read that very early 700s in Magnum Calibers, such as my 7mm Rem. had Stainless Steel barrels, BUT they were colored BLUE because it was thought that the public wasn't ready for White SS barrels.

I dunno how to tell if it is, or if it ain't. My Gunsmith would only say, "some of them were marked". If mine is not marked, I can't tell. If it is marked, I don't know what the mark is.

The mysteries that we Gun Loonies are forced to endure, are wearisome. Maybe, we should get some extry money from the Government.

Oh Well,
    Smitty of the North
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default safetys

Anybody know what year they went from the flat sided safeties to the round ones. I have an old 700 bdl that has they flat sided safety, but I know longer have the barrel to check the age. It is now a 358 Norma.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Anybody know what year they went from the flat sided safeties to the round ones. I have an old 700 bdl that has they flat sided safety, but I know longer have the barrel to check the age. It is now a 358 Norma.
    Not me.

But, I think it was right away. This is based on my supposition that my later 700 is only a cupla years newer than the other one, and has the round safety lever.

(tvfinak: My safety locks the bolt. Later 700s don't but I have no idea when they changed that.)
    OK, maybe I've figgered out the code. My 280 was made in June 1962 AND the 7mm RM in January 1972. ??? for sure on that, the "W"?? is unclear. If I got it right, it's probably not SS.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

Smitty - you are indeed special. Obama loves you!
    Whoopie Sheet.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I have a 25-06 that was apparently made in March of 1977. I would have never guessed. I've owned it since 94 and have put many rounds through it.