Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Page discrimination?

Default Page discrimination?

Mr Strahan,

It recently came to my attention that when I log onto your site, I am not given access to all of the pages available to others. Alaska game management, fisheries management and global discussions are nonexistent for me. What gives?

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

don some areas do not show up unitl you have enough posts as an active member... i thought it was 30... but some setting have changed in the last several months...

dont worry your not missing anything
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs down What?

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorswithdon View Post
    Mr Strahan,

It recently came to my attention that when I log onto your site, I am not given access to all of the pages available to others. Alaska game management, fisheries management and global discussions are nonexistent for me. What gives?
    Very good question!

Are you telling us that people who don't live in Alaska can not EVEN SEE the game management and fisheries management forums....

I have no clue why a new member couldn't post in these forums BUT its really weird you can not even see um....maybe there is something wrong with your browser and your 'problem' is not the same for all nonresidents and new members?

Ummm....looking forward to hear from others who can not see these important forums and what the official explanation from Strahan is.

Default His site

Its his site, he should be able to do what he wants. Some real good sites are that way like supercubs.org and others. Im not saying his is in the same catagory, but its his choice to turn people around. Im sure it had nothing to do with you Don.

Terry

Thumbs down Mr Strahan,

Mr Strahan,

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon
    Frankly! I find this an odd post. Shouldn't this be an email to Mike, not a post on this forum.
    If the answer you recieved was something worth raising the awareness to the broader aduience, than MAYBE a post, but you should at least try and work it directly with the person, before making it a broad discussion topic.
    Even if you do have good intentions, it would not appears so!

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    Frankly! I find this an odd post. Shouldn't this be an email to Mike, not a post on this forum.
    If the answer you recieved was something worth raising the awareness to the broader aduience, than MAYBE a post, but you should at least try and work it directly with the person, before making it a broad discussion topic.
    Even if you do have good intentions, it would not appears so!
    I don't see the post as odd but I find the issue raised by the OP as odd.

IMO it is a reasonable question and one that should be answered in the light of day.

It the OP has a browser problem everyone should be alerted and if the owner of the website is keeping new members and nonresidents from reading what is going on with Alaska game or fisheries management then we should all know why.

If it takes X posts to participate then these forums should be included. New members want to know; understand, Alaska's management system and probably have reasonable questions. imo

My intentions Cusackla were to find out why I'm being censored from part of the site. If censoring some people from parts of this or any other public forum is standard practice, I think it is of great interest to everyone.

If I don't have access because I just don't have enough posts, then so be it. I find that peculiar, but this is a privately owned site, and it can do as it pleases. It just makes this site a whole lot less interesting and relevant.

By the way, this thread was moved to a section that I don't have access to. Talk about irony.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com

Don,

There is a minimum number of posts requirement as well as a 30 day (I think...) minimum as well. This was enacted to keep anti hunting/fishing/trapping folks from coming in and causing a ruckus with new accounts. If you want access to the other forums early, you can send Brian M a PM explaining your situation and he can change your status so you have access to all forums.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

By the way, this thread was moved to a section that I don't have access to. Talk about irony.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com

W-O-W...somebody really has a handle on customer service, quality control and training and operating protocols!

Mulligan....what is your post count and join dates? Obviously someone read your post and decided to move it.

Default My Point

All good responses, but I still stick to my Point, that you should contact the person 1st and rasie the awareness 2nd.
    I am not a Big Fan of Mr Strahan, in fact we have dissagreed on several issues, but fair is fair. And personally I think it is fair to ask 1st and post 2nd.
    In the words of Forrest Gump "That's All I Am Going To Say About That"

Louis

Louis,

I'm not looking to make a big deal out of this. I just wanted to understand a site I enjoy visiting and reading.

Avalanche, I checked and my join date is 2-7-07, and my number of posts is 51!

...the plot thickens...

Don,

I just checked your account and don't find any bans or restrictions..... I'm not sure why you are not seeing all the forums.

We have had a couple of software updates/changes recently that have introduced some new issues so maybe you got lost in the software.

Send Brian M a PM explaining the problem and he can reset your account if necessary.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

"By the way, this thread was moved to a section that I don't have access to. Talk about irony."

Louis,

I'm not looking to make a big deal out of this. I just wanted to understand a site I enjoy visiting and reading.

Avalanche, I checked and my join date is 2-7-07, and my number of posts is 51!

...the plot thickens...
    But you somehow now have access. Was 50 the majic # of posts?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I just checked and it has been fixed for me. The topics that were nonexistent before, are now there. I appreciate whoever fixed it.

I hope others are getting full access, because it took me 2 years to figure out I was missing some interesting conversations.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com

Default How many other people need this problem 'fixed'?

......it took me 2 years to figure out I was missing some interesting conversations.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com

That's what it sounded to me like in the OP which is kind of alarming.

Responsible hosting of a hunting forum should include 'management'. EVERYONE should at least be able to 'read' these forums?

So, I'm still not clear how many people are out there who don't see the management forums.

Maybe the 'outdoorswithdon' issue is a bigger issue.

Maybe that's why there seems to not be a very broad base of interaction on the management forums.

Often times I see 20/30 people are viewing the hunting forums and seldom observe more than 1 or 2 viewing the management forums.

It seems to me that many people interested in hunting would also be interested in managing?

Don, I assure you this is not something intentional, nor are many people blocked from the management forums. As for you being blocked from Forum Tips (where this thread was moved), that isn't blocked for any user group, so I have no idea why you wouldn't have been able to see it.

New members are automatically upgraded to full membership at 10 posts and 30 days. I don't know why there are sometimes glitches, but there are. We run as tight of a ship as we can here, but it's not always perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Don, I assure you this is not something intentional, nor are many people blocked from the management forums. As for you being blocked from Forum Tips (where this thread was moved), that isn't blocked for any user group, so I have no idea why you wouldn't have been able to see it.

New members are automatically upgraded to full membership at 10 posts and 30 days. I don't know why there are sometimes glitches, but there are. We run as tight of a ship as we can here, but it's not always perfect.
    What 'people' are blocked from the management forums?

Is there any interest in doing some kind of quality control checks and maybe post something on forum tips to have people confirm they can see those forums that odwd was blocked from 'seeing'?

Default No Discrimination at all

Hi folks,

Well, if someone had contacted me via private message, I would have answered this sooner. The site is huge and lots of things are posted that I do not see.

The short answer, Don, is that there is no discrimination against you (or anyone else) at all. We do have a threshold in terms of minimum post count and longevity, before certain forums become visible to you; for the most part, the restricted access areas are off-topic in terms of the central purpose of the site. This site is primarily about Alaska outdoor activities, and we want to drive traffic to those areas.

I did not set these restrictions up; I inherited them when I purchased the site. None of this is intended to penalize anyone, it's just the way it was set up originally.

Just a reminder to all; if something pressing like this comes up, please don't assume I will see it in a thread. We have in excess of forty forums here and I don't read them all every day. Your best bet is to drop me a PM.

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    What 'people' are blocked from the management forums?
    They are not visible to folks that are not logged in.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    They are not visible to folks that are not logged in.
    Ungh?

Is that a way of saying it's none of my business who can see the management forums and who can not or did your humor go over my head?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast