Thread: .454 Casull or .44 Mag

Default .454 Casull or .44 Mag

I'm interested in buying a revolver large enough to try and hunt moose with, while also being able to carry it for bear protection on occasion. I've been primarily looking at either the .454 Casull or .44 Mag. I have never used a large caliber handgun for big game hunting so I have no experience in this matter. What would be the best option. I don't need a bunch of excess power, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Any helpfull recommendations and advice would be appreciated. As a side question, I kind of liked the advantage of being able to shoot .45 Colt through a .454 Casull. Does this do any excessive wear to the chambers, throat, barrel of a .454, or is it perfectly fine?

There seems to be a crap-ton of info on the forum that addresses this issue, try the search feature.
    I think you would be better served by the 454 if you want to experiment with moose [vs the 44]. I don't own a 454, so I can't comment on the use of alternative cartridges.

I bought a Ruger Alaskan .454 for carry in Alaska.

Default First handgun hunt? or just the first moose/handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by ak hunter View Post
    I'm interested in buying a revolver large enough to try and hunt moose with, while also being able to carry it for bear protection on occasion. I've been primarily looking at either the .454 Casull or .44 Mag. I have never used a large caliber handgun for big game hunting so I have no experience in this matter. What would be the best option. I don't need a bunch of excess power, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Any helpfull recommendations and advice would be appreciated. As a side question, I kind of liked the advantage of being able to shoot .45 Colt through a .454 Casull. Does this do any excessive wear to the chambers, throat, barrel of a .454, or is it perfectly fine?
    I believe an advisor would have to know something about your hunting/shooting history before being able to offer any advice.

Either gun will do the job. If you have experience taking moose or other large deer species with a long gun at close range, that would be helpful to you. If you have never taken a moose before, I would not recommend the first one be with your first hunting centerfire handgun. However, if you have taken smaller game over a lifetime of shooting with long guns and handguns (javelina, coyote, etc) and will be shooting with a knowledgeable friend, then that's another story.

Help us help you.

Lost Sheep

I'd say either would do. I've never fired anything bigger than .44, but I've heard of people taking moose with either caliber. The two calibers have a lot of overlap in power; Buffalo Bore makes some .44 mag+p that's about as powerful as .454, and Winchester makes some .454 casull ammo that's as tame as .44 mag. I don't think the +p's will fit in a Smith. Going with either caliber for moose and not knowing any better, I'd use ammo that doesn't expand, such as hardcasts. .44 mag hollowpoints can get stuck in the fat.

Using .45 lc (or .44 special if you go that route) should be okay for the gun, but be sure to clean out the chambers before switching to .454 casull (or .44 magnum). If you don't, the residue ring left by the shorter ammo can eventually damage the cylinder when the larger ammo is fired.

While the aforementioned Ruger Alaskan is a good defense gun in these calibers, for hunting I'd recommend something with a longer barrel, like a Ruger Super Redhawk or a 6-8" S&W 629. You'll get a longer sight radius, and the higher generated velocity will let you take game from farther out.

There's also the S&W .460, which can take .460, .454, or .45, but it's a huge & heavy gun.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Default I suggest a little research

Don't forget the 480 Ruger/475 Linebaugh

If you don't know the word already, think about "meplat". Rifle rounds commonly go over 1500 fps. Handguns seldom do and 900 to 1450 is probably more commonly used in the field than anything.

Remember, there is nothing quite like blunt force trauma WITH penetration.

this thread addresses your question fairly squarely
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...1058#410101058
    or, if the link doesn't work, paste this into your web browser
    forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2911043/m/208103948?r=410101058#410101058

This thread's title says it: Advice on which big bore revolver to buy?
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=25163
    forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=25163

this thread has lots of experienced shooters' contributions
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=41291
    forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=41291

This speaks to smaller game "Deer & Pigs only .357, .41 mag, or 44 mag?", but the reasoning given is enlightening
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...1578#177101578
    forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2911043/m/273100578?r=177101578#177101578

This thread asks what handgun to take on a Black Bear & Deer hunt when accompanying bowhunters. Was very interesting.
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/.../884105168/p/1
    forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2911043/m/884105168/p/1

this thread just makes interesting reading.
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...0868#883100868
    forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2911043/m/236106768?r=883100868#883100868

Lost Sheep
    Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post. Maybe especially this post.

Also remember, even the idiotic stuff might have a kernel of truth buried in there somewhere.

I was looking for just what you want and after about 6 months of looking I got the S&W model 460V. It's a 460Mag with a 4" barrel on it and shoots 454 as well as the 45 Long Colt ammo. It is the first S&W I had ever owned and now I have three and the wife has one, I'm hooked on S&W's trigger and quality. It's the best all round Alaska gun made in my book, yes it's heavy but with the power it has it must be. Its weight also makes shooting 454 rounds like a hot 357 in a Blackhawk. It is also the most accurate hand gun I have ever shot and with a rest and optics would not fear a 100 yard shot on almost any game.

Andy