Thread: real world experience with Ballistic tips.

Default real world experience with Ballistic tips.

Im considering shooting one of the light Nosler ballistic tips out of my 300 win mag for a sheep round this season.

Anyone have actual reports how these things work?

I shot a doe that was trotting, angling away shot, with a 257 roberts and 100 grain ballistic tip moving around 2900. Small hole going in, large hole going out. Broke ribs exiting. I was impressed, though they do cause a large wound channel (ie. bloo shot meat)

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Im considering shooting one of the light Nosler ballistic tips out of my 300 win mag for a sheep round this season.

I have used them for years in a variety of calibers for long range deer shooting. To the extent that sheep are built like and react like deer, you can probably expect similar positive results. But as I learned with deer, reliable long range expansion can go hand in hand with explosive close range performance. If I want both long and short range performance, it's the same weight Partitions all the way.

I've probably killed more deer with the 150 grain 7mm version from a 7mm Rem Mag than any other caliber or weight of Ballistic Tips, though 120 grain 25 cailbers run a close second. I knock it along at around 3150fps. Out past 400 yards it was, and still is my favorite for deer. But inside 200 yards, I was taking head shots or high neck shots, or nothing else. Inside 100 yards, you can virtually decapitate a deer. Shot one at the base of the skull once, and both horns went flying when the cranium exploded! Just erupted like a volcano, from what I could tell. And if you happened to shoot one through the lungs inside 100 yards, count on soup when you start dressing it.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post

180gr Ballistic Tip will drop a sheep and give you good down range ballistics to boot.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default BT

The Ballistic Tip has the same BC as an Accubond by the same company. The Accubond stays together better than the Ballistic Tip. The Ballistic Tip at close range and high velocities gives explosive performances and mellows out at extended ranges as velocity drops. It's down fall is hitting a hard surface at close ranges; like a shoulder-blade @ high velocity. The bullet can fragment giving incomplete penetration into the chest cavity.
    Never shot a sheep with anything; but the running hog I shot in the shoulder blade with my 300 WinM useing a 165 BT@ 135 yds required a second shot through the boiler room to stop.The bullet smashed the shoulder and was found in pieces in the cartalige covering the ribs. It did however knock him down and slow him down as well for the second shot, which penetrated the left flank behind the ribs exploding the vitals into jello; Only shards of the jacket remained. The hog weighed in just a tad over 300 lbs.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have used them in my 338 for sheep and elk. As previously stated, up close they are devistating. I shot a sheep inside 100 yards and had a basketball sized hole on the exit side. It wasted a lot of meat. On elk out near 200 yards they worked but would not be my first choice. Penetration comes into question, especially when hunting on public land with no blood trail.

The 180gr Ballistic Tip on Sheep will kill sheep up close of far off and will exit even it it hits bone on a sheep. Now you talk about bigger animals and the above post have validity, but on sheep, the 180gr BT will be devastating and will exit even at long ranges. Sheep are like hitting deer. From 2000fps to 2900fps the BT will preform on sheep or deer. Used it in my 300Win Ruger Mk II for 3yrs on White Tail, Mule and hog. No failures during that time.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Too much to drink is never enough.

Smitty of the North
    Well, I feel lucky only being a POS He could have called me all those other names he called Murphy
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

You know you guys (Beartooth and Murphy) have been great on this forum. Even thou I haven't been able to sit down with you both and have an adult beverage, I could never call you any of those things. Besides, if you don't like something don't say anything at all. Keep helping us out gentlemen for I am happy to hear your advice.

Ron

My 2 sons both shoot .260's with the 120gr B-tip. Multiple kills on thin skin game. Mostly at close range, under 40 yds. But one at 90. None of the bullets exited, but all deer were DRT. Had one go 30 yds. The heart and lungs on most of them were just mush. When they get in the chest cavity they just explode. What worries me is the fact that they may hit a shoulder and not have enough penetration.

So with that thought, I'm thinking of going to a more traditional cup/core bullet. I've seen that Federal this year has a 120gr in the .260 in their Fusion line. Might try, even though the B-tips have not failed to perform with well placed shots. What worries me is a less than well placed shot.

If you can put the B-tip in the boiler room every time you'll have a dead animal, every time. I have no doubt. But, if you hit a shoulder, I'm not so sure. Just what I've seen, with the above rifles and calibers.

What do I shoot for everything? A .270 with 130gr Corelokts.......Just like God and J. O'Connor intended. An honest 1/2 inch gun.

My youngest with his first deer. A small Sika spike with the .260 and 120 B-tips. Most likely was 65-70 lbs dressed. Yeah, they don't get too big. My largest 6pt was about 90-95 lbs dressed. They don't get too much bigger, if at all. An 8 pt Sika is more rare than hens teeth. Shooting 6's consistantly is an achievement.

Default Nosler AccuBond 160 grain 7MM

Last year I worked up a round for the 7mm Rem Mag using Nosler 160 grain AccuBond. The load I worked up came out fast, and accurate. At 100 yards off the bench all the bullets would touch. I did not chrono the velocity, my guess is 2950+ maybe 3000

Results:

225 yards, double lung, one sholder shot -- drop a bull elk to the ground, got back up and wabbled 15 yards and then dropped for good. The bullet has found under the skin and still intact on the other side.

I 'm going to work up a round this summer for 300 RUM using 180 and 200 Accubonds.

Tim Miller

A light Ballistic tip out of a 300 mag is just asking for the bullet to blow up on a close shot. I'd use the Accubond or a TSX. Though the 180 grain version might be a good compromise.

i shoot partions out of 300 wsm in 165 gr and have great results up close and out to 350 for elk in idaho and i use 150 ballistic sliver tips for muleys and never had a problem with penatraion at any ranger hit a front shoulder last year on a deer and found roughly half the bullet just under the skin on the oppiste side

Can anyone explain the differance in construction between the Accubond and Ballistic Tip? They look very similar in construction.
    I've used Accubonds in my .280 and was very happy with their performance, taking a nice 51" moose at 140 yards. Recoverd the slug on the far side under the hide. Didn't come aprt, nicely mushroomed. Seemed to do the job, but now Federal doesn't offer the ABond in 280 anymore.

Accubond is a bonded bullet the Ballistic Tip is a mechanical bullet.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I used the 165gr ballistic tips in my 300saum for deer. At a mild load 2750fps, they were very effective. I shot 2 deer at 100-150 yards with pass throughs and golf ball size exits, liquified vitals. One deer at 20 yards had a bigger exit wound and more internal damage. I only stopped using them when I found a super accurate Barnes TSX load. The ballistic tips should make a great sheep/ goat round.

I shot a black bear with the 180gr ballistic tip from a 300H&H at about 300yds. Poor shot as I jerked the trigger and hit him in the hind quarter. It blew about 6" of the ham bone to saw dust then made about a 6"path of hamburger to the skin on the far ham. Did not exit and I only found small fragments of the bullet. Did find the empty jacket against the hide on the far side. I consider them to be a hollow point filled with a plastic tip to help them explode. If your going to eat what you shoot , I would choose another bullet.

The accubond is bonded and has a very heavy mid and lower jacket. The out side diamentions are the same both expand fast but the accubond is more controled from mid jacket down thus at this point more like their partition.

Check out what Nosler says their bullets are designed to do they list indened impact speeds. This will determine what caritridge and at what distance and at what gametheir designed for. And for the b-tip for 30cal and under are all no matter what weight are intended for deer size game only, the >30 cal are made stronger for elk size game.

There are strong controled expantion bullets for high velocity and or close hunting and extra fast expanding bullets for smaller game like deer and for extra long range hunting and bullets that fit it the middle. It never seses to amaze me why some one would use a wsm with a xtra fast long range bullet for an intend close range shot if it be deer or elk?