Thread: Trekking Pole?

Default Trekking Pole?

Opinions on the best and why. i need a new one, or two for that matter. i love them to death, but i cant find one that i just cant be without. does that make sense? at times ive had them collapse, break or bend. so whats the best haha?

Ok, I'll go first.. the first set of poles I bought were Komperdell's with the Rei brand name on them.I got them at the REI .83 cent sale so I paid about 35 bucks for the set. The poles are ok but the antishock is a joke.. Not only unneccesary but they activate on and off when ever they want too. Pass on any antishock.The kids have inherited these poles.
    Next I picked up a pair of Black Diamond Trekking poles with the fliplocks. Now were talking buisness here, much nicer poles and the fliplock is rock solid. Again, online sales for about 43 bucks for the set. Ken...

Default Would be nice...

so whats the best
    It would be nice if some organization, such as Backpacker or an online community, put numerous makes and models through the ringer. Most brands have their claims, but I am not sure I believe that one pole is 4x stronger than the next etc.

I have a pair of REI-branded UL carbon fiber poles (not sure by whom they are made) that I do not like. I actually snapped one once about a mile into a scouting trip for goats; the break may have been partially my fault, and now I know to keep the tundra baskets on. Regardless, I have trouble with these poles collapsing on me every few miles. While I will keep these for UL backpacking when I am only carrying 20lbs, I too am looking for something stronger and more dependable.

black diamond flicklock poles. if you want sturdier ones, go with their two piece ski poles. if you want poles that are going to let you down, go with leki twistlock system or another twist lock system. also, check for other threads and posts, this has been covered several times in the last 6 months or so

I got some good info on the hiking forum a while back when I asked about which trekking poles to get. Black Diamond flint lock was the conclussion I made. Sound advice in the reply before me here. Below is the thread...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=44851
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Blackdiamond trail model is what I would recommend. It is flicklock and avoids the binary on the lower level. Some of the fancy Black Diamonds have the flicklock with the binary lock on the bottom joint. Many posts state that the binary is a source of trouble. I am happy with my trail models.

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    Blackdiamond trail model is what I would recommend. It is flicklock and avoids the binary on the lower level. Some of the fancy Black Diamonds have the flicklock with the binary lock on the bottom joint. Many posts state that the binary is a source of trouble. I am happy with my trail models.
    Good info here ^^^^
    I got the BD Countour eliptical poles, I am a big guy and they were the best balance of weight/price /strength in my opinion. I am a big guy 6'5" 265#+ before you load me up with camp and 1/2 a black bear for a 3K' decent, so tough was a big concern! I have heard a few people say good things about the binary lower pole but the internet is riddled with reports of them having problems. I chose to avoid it. The Binary costs more and could be a potential weakness so Flick lock top to bottom for me! Never slipped or bent and I have put some serious weight on them!

sounds good! thanks all!

if you are a big guy and will be carrying a 100+lb load, i would suggest looking at the BD ski poles. two pieces and little thicker. a lot more bombproof then their hiking poles. i have both types. also if you will be in steep country with shale, scree, grassy slopes, you can look at the BD Whippet. a two piece self-arresting ski pole. some folks carry an 80 cm+ moutaineering ax sheep hunting, etc. i have one that i use when skiing that involves steeper areas with a windblown crust for example, where you have the potential to keep sliding for some time. i plan on using it on a sheep or goat hunt, depending on the terrain, with or without another BD ski pole, haven't decided if i will take two or one poles. i really like the whippet pole. the trail series hiking or ski pole though is the way to go for cheapest yet useful pole. the carbon ones i don't recommend under a very heavy load. tons of options out there, but go with BD flicklock systems at all joints, as some of the joints on their poles have the binary system which will slip at some point.

I just had to chime in because I recently bought my first pair. I just bought a set of adjustables from Gossamer Gear, and they only weigh about 3 1/2 oz each. I plan on only taking one at a time to use it as a walking stick. They're simple to operate, and they're compatible with Leki brand baskets.

Are they for everybody? Probably not. I'm a slender guy (150 lbs wet) and only carry a 20 lb. pack, so I figure I can get away with lightweights. I had it narrowed down to these or a pair by Titanium Goat, but TG's were out of stock.

For years I saw no need for a stick - I'm part goat & grew up scrambling on beaches and up mountains, and haven't fallen since I was a kid. But now I have bunions.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Talking Stubai

This is what i like. It sure is nice to have the axe for self arrest on the steep stuff if needed. These are built very stout. The inner telescoping leg on the Stubai is stronger than the Petzl Snowscopic. It would take more than I could give it for the Stubai to collapse unwanted or to bend.

Default Leki

Go to Wiggy's and get the Leki Makalu's that Marc has there. As far as I know what he has there are the lightest and strongest poles they make.

I've used mine for 2 seasons now and they are absolutely great.

Richard

if you need them for packing out game, don't worry about 14 oz versus 17 oz, etc. after a few seasons on the leki poles, when the twist mechanism starts to give with pressure and you have to replace the piece, you'll have wished for the BDs. or better yet, be on day 4 of a 7-10 day trip and have that twist mechanism decide it doesn't want to cooperate. the makalus (sp?) are good poles, i started off with those and after that got the ultralite ones. the BD poles are night and day, no regrets.

Default another ice axe to choose from

Not a trekking pole, but it might be worth looking into:
    http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm
    It's technically not an ice axe either (too light to be certified, I guess), but it sounds more useful than a trekking pole.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

interesting mountaineering ax, marketed as a 'potty trowel'. if you are going to spend $140 on a mountaineering ax, buy one that is actually tested for use as a self-arrest tool.

Has anyone seen/used the Leupold Trek Pod 2? I just came across it online, it is an adjustable trekking pole and has 3 legs stored in it that fold out as a tripod for your spotting scope/camera. Also comes with a piece to put your gun on as a rest. Seems like a pretty good idea.

nice piece. i couldn't find how low it will go, meaning whether you have to use it from standing height all the time.

I looked at that trek pod thing and figured I would destroy it. It also didn't seem that steady as a tripod.