Thread: Salmon Shark Charters

Default Salmon Shark Charters

Im looking to fish for Salmon Shark next spring. Does anyone have any charters eather in Homer, Whittier or Valdez they would recomend or have had good luck with?

Not sure if I have seen any shark charters out of homer.

And while I know I have heard of a few out of Whittier, at present, I can't seem to recall their names.

I know there are a number out of Valdez. I have heard good things about Orion Charters, but I haven't personally tried them.

Another option to consider would be Seward. I think there are a couple of charters that will hunt sharks, but the only one that I know (for sure) is Saltwater Safaris (again no personal experience).

Additionally, Cordova is reputed to have some of the finest Salmon shark fishing with the highest (that I know of) success (both hookup/fighting as well as landing) rates.

For what its worth . . .

-- Gambler

I have watched Orion charters slay the sharks, they were catching them three to one over me. They also have a very nice Hatco marine product also to fish out of.

Default Salmon Shark Charters

You can certainly catch salmon sharks in Homer.

I will be running salmon shark charters next year in Homer.
    Let me know if I can be of help
    Marc Theiler

Smile for the record . . .

Just to set the record straight. I never said you couldn't catch them out of Homer . . . . just that I have never heard or seen any charters out of Homer actively targeting them.

Seems to be a fair number caught in Cook Inlet every year. However, they all seem to be by-catches; i.e. People fishing for halibut hook into the shark and land it.

I have wondered how someone would do if they specifically targeted these creatures seeing as how the only ones you hear about were all caught while targeting halibut.

Good luck!

-- Gambler

Default Orion Charters

I fished for sharks with them in Aug 2004. Best charter I ever took. And that was before they got the new boat. I definitely recommend them.

Keep in mind most charters tend to target the sharks later in the season. Apparently the sharks move into the sound in greater numbers chasing the pinks and silvers. So your spring chase might be less successful, or really in search of a target of opportunity. We did see one last year while spring bear hunting, but couldn't interest him in a herring.

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    Just to set the record straight. I never said you couldn't catch them out of Homer . . . . just that I have never heard or seen any charters out of Homer actively targeting them.

Seems to be a fair number caught in Cook Inlet every year. However, they all seem to be by-catches; i.e. People fishing for halibut hook into the shark and land it.

I have wondered how someone would do if they specifically targeted these creatures seeing as how the only ones you hear about were all caught while targeting halibut.

Good luck!

-- Gambler

Yeah, that's mostly what happens. What I am finding is that salmon shark fishing is getting more and more popular and creating a bit of a buzz with folks. I am working on promoting more shark fishing trips and getting another boat soley for shark hunting. It will be a very popular sportsfishery in the years to come.

Now, I must be off to Homer with a bit of time to steelhead fish in Deep Creek and Anchor. Nothing quite like steelhead on a six weight fly rod.
    Marc Theiler

Default Shark Fishing Homer

Where are the sharks located out of Homer?

I saw one once out of Anchor Point so I know they are there but is there a good place to fish specifically for them? What is the best bait to use? I am new to shark fishing but excited to try.

Thanks for the input.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Default no where, especially...

although a few sharks are seen and caught (or at least hooked) out of homer every year, they are not especially common, nowhere near the numbers in the sound.
    we are fortunate in having probably the preeminent salmon shark biologist on the west coast in the homer office (ken goldman) so you might direct questions at him.
    one more thing regarding salmon sharks that is not often pointed out is that of ALL the fish landed up here (with the exception of some yelloweye rockfish) salmon sharks have THE MOST methyl mercury in their meat....enough that children and women who are pregnant or may become pregnant should not eat any at all.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Shark fishing

I went out with Dan of Orion Charters this summer and it was a great trip. I've heard that he might not be taking any more shark charters though - seems like lots of the other boats like to follow him around to "discover" his secrets. He has good equipment and sure knows how to catch the sharks though! If you have a chance to go - do it! It is pretty amazing to see those 300+ pounders jumping and thrashing at the surface as they chase the salmon.

Anybody out there know how to clean shark jaws?

Default Try Shark Tooth Charters

I chartered Shark Tooth Charters out of Valdez in early August 06' and it was great. The 2 1/2 hour trip out there became well worth it after I felt the sheer strength of the first shark I hooked into. The great thing about Shark Tooth Charters is the boat is smaller and the captain likes to take fewer clients out (2-4), than Orion.

Sure, Orion catches a lot of sharks, but there are usually 6 clients on board and your chances of landing one yourself are lower because it takes much longer than you think to hook, play, land, kill, clean, and secure one of those monsters. With Shark Tooth Charters, your chances of getting that hot rod in your hands is better.

My friend and I chartered the boat and we had a shark double almost immediately and lost both. The shark fishing slowed after that and we moved about 500 yards and tried for halibut, landing a 95 lb. slab. The shark fishing resumed and we had another double and landed both. It was the most exhilirating experience of my life.

Also, I have done some reading on the safety of the shark meat and I have found that the colder water fish do not have the dangerously high levels of mercury that the warmer water fish have. We took good care of our shark meat and we love it. If you cook it any way similar to the way you would cook halibut, it turns out great.

Check out Shart Tooth Charters at sharktoothcharters.com

Default locating sharks

There are several web sites that have some interesting information. One of them tracks tagged sharks on an interactive chart so you can see where they forage. The highest consentration of sharks shown is eastern PWS. I did note that they tagged the sharks in the sound, so they may not represent how the sharks in the Cook forage. They do seem to follow the bulk of the salmon, with the enhancement program for pinks and chum in PWS, I would think the chances of hooking into one there in the future are good, esspecially since the bag limit now in place protects them from commercial harvest.

Default allowable bycatch

sharks are not protected by from commercial "incidental" bycatch...

Thumbs up Orion Charters

If Dan at Orion charters is still running them this year that's who I'd go with. We have two groups of 6 that went out with him in one week and we all were able to fight two and some of us three of these beast. Each boat oppted to only keep 4 of the sharks and tag the rest.
    Dan runs a top notch service and his equipment is the best I've seen in a long time. Some people may complain about there being 6 people per boat, but when all six are catching 300+ pounders and the other charter boats that follow him to his fishing holes with only 2-4 clients and only catching 1 may 2, who cares. Dan could easily take 10 people on his new boat and still have room to fish, but because he strives to give everyone he takes the opprotunity to catch one of these beast he doesn't.
    Oh, don't plan on an early spring shark trip, these guys don't start hitting the baits until late late June to early July. Good luck.

Default Mercury

"safety of the shark meat and I have found that the colder water fish do not have the dangerously high levels of mercury that the warmer water fish have"

Salt Dog,

That's not true for sharks, salmon yes, but not salmon sharks. I caught one two summers ago and was able to submit a piece of it to the state's laboratory for testing as part of their program on mercury in fish. Here's the email I got back from them:

The total mercury value for your salmon shark came out at 1.36 parts per million. The FDA limit for selling fish is 1 ppm. The numbers are a little misleading, though. The FDA number is for methylmercury, and ours is for total mercury. Typically, methylmercury accounts for 80-90% of the mercury in fish. it is the most toxic form. We can't provide public health information on your shark, but it is likely that anyone planning on getting pregnant soon probably shouldn't be eating it. Anyone else should limit consumption of any species of shark, as they all seem to be pretty heavy with mercury.
    Hope this covers your question.

Thumbs up Thank you, North Rick

sometimes i wonder if anyone pays attention to the mercury issue, though as most here know i bring it up often.
    the key here is "women who are or may become pregnant, and children"
    yelloweye and lingcod are likely to score high too.