Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on the BOG meeting

Default Update on the BOG meeting

How was public testimony today? In his interview with Channel 2 Arno seemed to get a bloody nose relative to Stratton. The media definitely played them off against each other. I was expecting to see Mark on there, but there is plenty of time left in the meeting.

Just my thoughts - now dug in waiting for incoming fire from MT, Troy, etc.

Here's a link to the ADN blog on the BoG meeting. Our own homerdave is quoted.

Incoming fire? Now who's stirring the pot? Your just sitting back and laughing at the upcoming responses!!!!!!!!!
    KTUU did play them against each other. Well done I'd say.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for posting that Brian. Dave had some great comments there. I've spent a fair amount of time around habituated bears and those around Moraine Creek, Funnel Creek and Kukaklek Lake are about as habituated as they come. Those are likely some of the same bears that the people Dave mentioned are seeing and they are certainly the "preserve" bears that NPCA and others are concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Incoming fire? Now who's stirring the pot? Your just sitting back and laughing at the upcoming responses!!!!!!!!!

Hey we can't be serious all the time. We need to have some fun on here too!!!

Default Today's meeting

The "fix" definitely seems to be in on this BOG meeting, unlike what I have seen before. Dave and I testified for AK BHA today, but we cut it short and no questions were asked on why we opposed bear snaring and helicopter transport of "hunters" in control areas.

Granted, some folks may have been a bit upset about the Compass piece from thursday <grin>. And Mike (MT), if you read this, yeah I've traveled here on my own dime to Anchorage, and will also give personal testimony too. Averaged $75 for marten sold locally in Fbks.

Agree that Pat V. is good guy. That's why I said "eminently qualified," but I do disagree with his position on bear snaring. The guy from Canada is giving the bear snaring (bucket set) presentation on monday. Talked to plenty of "experts" on it already and the consensus is there is no way to not catch 2-3 year old brown bears as bycatch, so not sure how the Dept will deal with that. Right now the Dept and those who support the snaring are alluding that any brown bears caught will have to be tranquilized by ADFG personnel, not sure where funding for that will come from. Or if that will mean those bears have to be moved (slinged) or the snares removed or what. It's still up to BOG to approve any of it or not adopt it. Some other issues too, legal and safety etc. (Imagine walking up on brown bear sow caught in leg snare with her cubs around.)

Along with helo transport, the snaring is a bad deal to me, just too much chance of it coming off as "hunting" instead of "control." And word I got today was that if BOG did approve helo transport of "hunters" under a control permit that it would crack the door for helo transport of hunters for general hunting down the line.

Anywho, not many folks at BOG meeting today, maybe more will show tomorrow. I don't like camera's so haven't stood in front of one yet <grin>.
    Cheers to all...Dave says' hi too to all,

Bushrat, generally the BOG will not ask questions on many issues such as the snaring, they are aware of the 'common' dislike for snaring, and most likely have previously discussed the issue of 'snagging' a bear other than blackies. What they want/like to hear, is specific / differing arguments that might not fit the 'mainstream' dislikes on snaring,etc, specifics rather than repetitive common, is what they expect you to provide, otherwise they can spend a lot of time asking different opposers the same questions and getting basically the same answer. This can become time consuming. No disrespect for your testimony. Myself, several times testifying (20 min's AC) I wasn't asked a thing, which is not necessarily a 'bad' thing'.

One reminder most will probably know, if you do make it, and testify, do not expect the BOG to provide answer to questions, sometimes they will make this clear at the beginning. However, on occasion they will, just for clarity's sake on their part.

I won't make it this time, on of my few misses in 17-18 years, I've always enjoyed them, especially when 'heated'.

Enjoy all..............

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i see there is a live feed here...http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/gameinfo/index.php what time does todays meeting start... looked like 4 pm.???? but does that make sence?

Thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince - The meetings started at 8am (I think). I got here at 9:30 and things are rolling along.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

k thanks brian... i guess the link is not working for the live feed.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default yup

It is working...In break right now but will be back in 10.
    Last edited by whitepalm; 02-28-2009 at 11:07. Reason: wait

thanks palm, i will leave it on.. and see what happens

meet on face book here

sound feed is up... mark is currently on...

meet on face book here

they've ok helo use for predator control???!?!

great meeting you mark and dave, missed you brian if youshowed up on friday and didn't see dennis there either....riptide i saw you but never grabbed ya to say hi, seems you were out working the crowd..lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    they've ok helo use for predator control???!?!
    Not yet, but...based on the comments after Mark's testimony, it seems like they're leaning that way. That's what I'm planning to testify on as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Not yet, but...based on the comments after Mark's testimony, it seems like they're leaning that way. That's what I'm planning to testify on as well.

my question to ask

if helo use allowed to out side gourps SFW etc...

non residents hunting under the guise fo general regs.. will they be allowed to hunt at the stands that have ben suppported by helo use?

will the permit holders be allowed to transport non resident hunters with a PC permits fr general season hunts.?

who will monitor this point?

what will prevent the use of helo setting up equipment for other genearl season hunts? that is currently prohibited?

i would strongly encourage as mark did that all meat be salvaged. in the PC hunts and at least dontated to food banks and soup kitchens across the state. it could be ground in to a very nice sausage that people would eat...

meet on face book here

Vince - My current understanding is that the salvage of meat is not going to be required. Unfortunately, the presentation of the plan is going to be after the public testifies, so we're kind of flying blind here. We can testify, but we don't have a specific plan to testify on.

Too bad you couldn't be here. I understand why, but it would have been nice to meet you.

yeah it is too bad the meeting was not next weekend. i have to come down for a few days then.

meet on face book here

they sure are nice to the village folks about the tier II, but i bet there are no changes made to it. ADFG has always said that is an anchorage playground.

meet on face book here

i think some one keeps sitting on the off button during the good parts

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast