Thread: Mountain Boots

Default Mountain Boots

Hey Folks,
    Do any of you wear Kenetrek Mountain Boots? I am contemplating purchasing a pair for Goat and Sheep hunting. What do you think? What are the likes and dislikes?

Great boots in many aspects. They are top quality construction and very comfortable I have a couple hundred miles on mine with no blisters. My only gripe is that they don't have enough torsional rigidity. I will probably be going with Scarpa Liskamm or Lowa extreme GTX boots next time. I am not sure what I am going to do with my Kenetreks... I am going to replace them for the mountains but the sole is too stiff for where I moose hunt. I like a soft sole for moose so it doesn't break ever twig under foot.

Bought mine late this past fall so I do not have any mountain "miles" on them yet. But so far I really like them. I've worn them around outside this past fall/winter and they fit well. But the true test will be when I start putting some real miles on them. I like the lace up system they have. There is a metal "tab" in the middle of the tongue that your laces run through so when you pull the laces tight they stay in place pretty well. It helps eliminate loose laces and having to really tug on the laces to get them tight enough. Overall at this point, I'm real satisfied with them.

Brian

i have the mtn extremes with 400 thinsulate. i agree that their lateral stability might be better served if they were to continue the nubuck leather higher up. If you look at the boot, where the green leather starts at the top cuff, that could be extended higher, and i would think that might help. i feel that i can invert my foot at the ankle pretty good in these boots, meaning i might be able to twist an ankle under a heavy load, or at least get fatigued. they don't have the mountaineering properties of mountaineering boots, like the Liskamm, etc.

also, the boots fit me great when i got them (9 W) and i wore them snowshoeing once and they did great, but the nubuck leather got wet (i had not leatherproofed them yet), and i swear that the boots have shrunk a bit. i have managed to get them a little looser by wearing them a whole lot, but i still can't wear them with my thicker smartwools, which i could when i bought them. a little strange, as i have never had this happen before. currently the fit is tight, but doesn't hurt. kind of like a ski boot, if that makes sense. i think too tight given that after a 7-10 day hunt i will need some extra room. leather proof them when you get them with aqueous wax by nikwax.

i am actually going to look at a 9.5 W , the lowa gtx extremes, and meidle (sp?) Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    i have the mtn extremes with 400 thinsulate. i agree that their lateral stability might be better served if they were to continue the nubuck leather higher up. If you look at the boot, where the green leather starts at the top cuff, that could be extended higher, and i would think that might help. i feel that i can invert my foot at the ankle pretty good in these boots, meaning i might be able to twist an ankle under a heavy load, or at least get fatigued. they don't have the mountaineering properties of mountaineering boots, like the Liskamm, etc.

also, the boots fit me great when i got them (9 W) and i wore them snowshoeing once and they did great, but the nubuck leather got wet (i had not leatherproofed them yet), and i swear that the boots have shrunk a bit. i have managed to get them a little looser by wearing them a whole lot, but i still can't wear them with my thicker smartwools, which i could when i bought them. a little strange, as i have never had this happen before. currently the fit is tight, but doesn't hurt. kind of like a ski boot, if that makes sense. i think too tight given that after a 7-10 day hunt i will need some extra room. leather proof them when you get them with aqueous wax by nikwax.

i am actually going to look at a 9.5 W , the lowa gtx extremes, and meidle (sp?) Canadians.
    i already replied to this thread but......my "camp picture" doesn't show my lowa hunter gtx extreme's (schnee sheephunter) at their best. they are a great boot for extreme conditions, and i have worn mine at elevation, in snow, on ice, and have not found them wanting. further they are "narrow" and so work well in crampons, snowshoes, and in the stirrup. i am generally an easy fit but with expensive boots, choose to be shop fitted. these boots (for me) run small. the service folks at schnee's helped me to move up to a larger and wider size. they were right and their help invaluable.

the boots are great for extended trips, and wearing a heavy pack. torsional and lateral stability is better than any boots i've used (not as stiff as plastic) and the comfort is exceptional.

i recommend them without reservation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    happy trails.
    jh

what size shoe do you normally wear and what size in the schnees sheephunters do you wear? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    what size shoe do you normally wear and what size in the schnees sheephunters do you wear? thanks
    i wear an 8 1/2 D (to allow for an insole and sox), but with the lowa's i NEEDED a 9 1/2 W.

this size fits like my regular boots, so they must run small. these are expensive L O N G wearing boots so i recommend you try some on and see how they fit!

i'm sure you will like them.
    happy trails.
    jh

I went up a half size and the wide width was perfect for a thin sock liner and a smartwool medium cushion sock.
    I really like the schnees version. Very comfortable and very little break in required. Ken

Quote Originally Posted by T11R17 View Post
    Hey Folks,
    Do any of you wear Kenetrek Mountain Boots? I am contemplating purchasing a pair for Goat and Sheep hunting. What do you think? What are the likes and dislikes?
    I've put a ton of rough country miles on my Kenetrek Hardscrabbles and haven't had any trouble with them. I've used them goat hunting here in AK and on mountain mule deer and elk hunts in Montana and they've done me well for all of the above. My only dislike would probably be that I don't get to go on enough hunts with them. No doubt though, I'll be wearing them this fall when I try and fill my DCUA sheep tag.

I've noticed a few posts have questioned the torsional rigidity of the Kenetrek boots. I can honestly say that I've never had that problem even with the shorter Hardscrabble boots, even when under heavy packloads.

Good luck to you,

Jeff

I have the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400s, and I really like them. Mine felt a bit big when I tried them on, but the rep told me the way they were made they would fit to my foot as they broke in, and he was right. My only complaint with them would be the last time I was out, I noticed a leak in one of the boots. Their customer service was great, and the sent me a new pair of boots right away. I wore them in the mountains all last summer, and then wore them on my Raspberry elk hunt. They could be stiffer, but I don't know how comfortable they would be if they were. I had no compaints with mine while I packed elk quarters, developed no blisters, and at the end of the day my feet felt great.

Default Kennetreks...

I too have a pair of these boots. As I read the previous posts, I did notice the majority agree with the lateral stability concerns. I did notice the looseness associated with the ankle support, but an ACE bandage really aided me last fall. Prior to the Kennetreks, I had purchased a pair of Scarpa Liskams... great boot, but had a major flaw with my feet. Where the eyelets of the boots merge with my toes & the rest of my foot, they dug into my foot so hard it hurt to use them. Barneys took them back (thankfully), so I was not out alot of cash on boots that hurt my feet. Thanks for sharing the wealth...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

I am currently breaking in the Schnee's Sheephunters. I am really impressed with the comfort level. I like the placement of the eyelets that allows the lower foot to be cinched and then the wide upper area that expands to fit my larger lower leg. They fit like a glove when I put them on. They seem to match sizing right on. I have walked probably 10 miles in them so far and no issues. Can't wait to get out and put some mile on with a firearm in hand. Very stable and well made boot.

Default Limmers

I know Ive said this before but before you buy anything look into Limmers, mine were the "off the shelf" not the full custom ones. I have had Danners, Schnees, Meindles ect. none of them even compare to the Limmers!