Thread: Best way to put sling stud in synthetic stock?

Off the road system,AK

Default Best way to put sling stud in synthetic stock?

I guess the title says it all. I tried on my 7400 to drill a hole as per directions for a wood stock. It busted out 2 crescent moon shapes around the hole when I screwed the stud in. I also used a bit of JB weld on the threads. Now I came across a Rem 870 with a sythetic stock and no studs. How shoul I go about this to minimize damage?

Default 870 sling

I drilled a small pilot hole in the pistol grip of my 870, then used one of the self tapping sling studs. This was a lot easier than trying to match the angle of the stock. I replaced the factory magazine cap with one of the butler creek caps that have the sling swivels on it.

All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

I have drilled a few remington plastic stocks for studs. I have had some chip by the hole but I never had a chip that was larger than the head of the stud, so they end up being hidden. Sometimes I used some acra glas on the threads if there was some handy.
    Drill the smaller diameter hole deep--you can just go clean through into the hollow inside. Then drill the larger pilot hole 3/8-1/2" deep.
    Another option is to use a machine screw stud. Take the recoil pad off, drill clean through into the hollow, and use a nut on the inside.