Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: License

Default License

If you could get your hunting fishing license for free would you take it or keep paying? Not a hardship to pay but qualify two ways for free, over 60 and disabled vet.Always paid but many say I'm nuts which goes with what the VA says I guess.

Thumbs up cherry

Hard to get a free cherry in the world today.
    Take the free license.
    Brother, you have earned it as a disabled vet.
    Dennis
    AK TAGS

Think of it this way Amigo:

1. you did your time for the Military
    2. you have been working all your life
    3. not much is free anymore for anyone, including those who are becoming elderly.

I have no problems with you getting the free licenses. Enjoy them.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

I got mine a month ago and I sure feel bad about it.

Not!

Get what you can.
    If you have served your fellow country man, then you should get what you deserve.
    Pay it up if you feel bad about it, but hey, its also your tax $$$ too.

I guess hunting is not a "Right" in the Constitution, because I would NEVER "Pay" to vote, own a firearm , practise my religous beliefs or speak freely.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If you could get your hunting fishing license for free would you take it or keep paying? Not a hardship to pay but qualify two ways for free, over 60 and disabled vet.Always paid but many say I'm nuts which goes with what the VA says I guess.

what???????? you mean there NOT free? what is this town coming too...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

of course there are a few that tend to disagree with free

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=47013
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Amigo,

I took my "Geezer License" for the simple reason that I'd forget to buy one otherwise and get pinched.....you'll soon see what I mean as I/you have more senior moments.....but I see your point and admire your honesty.

Default Take whatever benefits you deserve

Amigo
    My dad served in the 101st Airborne in WWII, during that time he was in Bastonge during "the Battle of the Bulge", ditched a glider in the North Sea (on his way to fight in Holland), was in a building in London when it was hit by a large bomb which thankfully was a dud, oh ya he landed on Omaha Beach in the Normandy invasion (they'ed run out of gliders). All the while his first wife was at home dying of tuberculous. My dad finally had a nervous break down, the Army did absolutely nothing for him, but send him home where he spent the rest of his life self-medicating himself with alcohol. That said, I suggest you, as a disabled vet, take whatever benefits you deserve.
    Steve

Default granted

You have put in your years of service both in the military and as a taxpayer but I have to say GOOD ON YOU for continuing to support fishing and hunting as long you you are financially able. I wish more would do so. I know that when I reach the age to obtain the "free" license I hope to do as you and continue to "pay" my support.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    You have put in your years of service both in the military and as a taxpayer but I have to say GOOD ON YOU for continuing to support fishing and hunting as long you you are financially able. I wish more would do so. I know that when I reach the age to obtain the "free" license I hope to do as you and continue to "pay" my support.
    I agree...

being active duty and working with VA folks, i will say that those that do 20 years or less on active duty and have shoulder pain or knee pain b/c of unrelated service and that is just part of life and getting old, i have a problem for all these folks labeling themselves as "disabled vets" and getting all the free stuff and license plates, etc. there are plenty of iraq and afghanistan (and other campaigns and even those injured on service back in the states) veterans that are really "disabled" and deserve the label. You don't have to develop the "disability" b/c of something you did in the service (ie back pain from airborne jumping, knee pain from marching, etc). You can get a rotator cuff injury while playing softball in the service, and set yourself up for "disability" when you get out. Even hemorrhoids (i am not joking) can get you disability with the VA. You may not get any disability income when you get out b/c for example your civilian job salary is above the threshold or you already receive retirement pay for 20 years of service, but you can still get the disability label and are than able to get all the perks. I've been in for 11 years, and even served in Iraq, and I just feel that labeling yourself with a free Disabled Veteran license plate on your truck is lame, given the true disabled vets out there. I know this may upset some out there, and these comments belong more in the Global Discussion thread. Just wanted to clarify some points since many out there believe a "disabled vet" is someone who was injured while serving. It doesn't have to be service related, or even a disability (hemorrhoids). So no, not all of those should get free license plates, hunting and fishing licenses and all the other perks. I personally have too much pride and respect for those that really are disabled secondary to their service to our country to take advantage of such things when i get out. And believe it or not, there are many out there that are abusing the system and exagerating their symptoms so they can get disability. The same nonsense happens with social secuirty disability. But the system allows for it, so it comes down to personal pride and morals.

Thumbs up I vote yes.

Can't say it any better than it has been said. I will offer this comment, look at the free view that animal rights lovers get off of our hard earned dollar. Most of the conservation programs that fund wildlife and habitat restoration are funded by outdoorsman like yourself and look at the benefit those that HATE us get to reap the reward from.
    So! For someone that has paid their fair share, I say Hell Ya! Take it you earned it, those after us, will reap the benefit from our contribution. U earned it so, get your free license and celebrate your contribution to the future of our wildlife!
    Well Darn!
    I guess I did have something to say
    Last edited by cusackla; 02-28-2009 at 14:15. Reason: dog gone typo

hre814 you are correct in many ways but only service connected gets you money from the VA.My letter of disability states Combat Service Connected 100% P&T.On the flip side I give 100% props to everyone that stepped up to serve and I,m glad the VA helps them all when they fall with-in the earning range to get help.I figure at least 75% at the VA pay some for any treatment or drugs depending on earnings.
    Wife all ready ordered license yesterday so will wait till next year to decide.I do believe there should be a hikeing license.

you are the type of person i was referring to that is a REAL "disabled vet". If you got shot, IED trauma, slipped on the back of a C-17 or tripped as you were running out of a tracked vehicle and hurt your back, you guys hurt yourself in combat ops, not playing softball at Elmendorf.

by all means take the free license and the perks. the only reason not to is if you want to put money into the fishing and hunting system of the state to support its endeavors.

but don't lose sleep over taking it for free, you deserved it. a very small price for the state to pick up as a 'thank you'.

Default you're entitled

take the license for serving your country. take the license for being 60 and already paying for a bunch of licenses. in reality, you're a taxpayer and still paying for it. either way, step up and receive the thanx provided in this small way. if you still want to continue to support conservation efforts, go to du, rmef, rgs, nawsf etc... and have fun supporting the sport that you enjoy with your buddies.
    thanx for your service

Take your "free" license for serving both in the service and in society. Its our debt to you.

If you still want to pay some dues- take some young ones into the field and share what you know with them. Take some kids fishing or hunting and "hook" them for life. That will go a lot further toward conservation efforts for the long haul than any license fees the state may gather from you while your still afield.

heres a trickeir question..

moved here in may 2008
    disabled 100% combat veteran
    technically "retired" from the military
    in June i will qualify for the residant free disabled hunting and fishing

is there any provisions in regs for liscence?

I was thinking of going fishing but at the non resident, annual price there's no way ..

will I have to wait to june?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Thumbs up Take it

You earned it honorably- take it! Enjoy it. And never worry about the jealous or envious type because thereís no short supply of that going around.

My dad rubs it in my face every time we go fishing...with his free license in hand Of course...I tease him when he orders off the senior menu too but like fishing he gives me half of the good stuff so itís all good.

Besides, how does this differ from social security that much? Pay in the early years to enjoy benefits in the later years, and, should you feel the need to contribute to the F & G fund go to something like a BOG meeting and make your voice heard.

TIGHT LINES BABY!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quoted from tdelarm "Besides, how does this differ from social security that much?"

Social security is a federaly run program that no matter how far into the red it is (so far) the federal gov't continues to pay it out and charges the taxpayers for it. Alaska F&G doesn't have the backup of a Federal program and it sure doesn't have they taxpayers to pay for it. While I agree our serving or have served members of our communities, wether military or not should ALWAYS be recognized for thier service, I feel there should be another way to show grattitude. I still say if you have the finances then pay to support your hobby. If you don't have the finances then let those who do help you support your hobby by letting you enjoy being in the field leagly. As my grandfather, a WWII injured vet (he called himself injured becuase"My injury has not disabled me from doing anything!") would say " This country is gettin too full of people that think thier owed or due and it is ruining our youth's perception of why they should do for others. You should only do for others for the good it does, not to get something in return or your just working for others, not giving yourself for others"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast