Thread: Guide Rules Need Changed

Default WOW

Johnny's been round long time. He knows what the problem is.

Lightbulb give me more...

68 Bronco,

Thanks for posting the short article, Guide Regs Need To Be Changed, writen by John Luster, Master Guide # 77, published in the Frontiersman on 2-26-2009.

I know that articles like this need to be short to be published in the Frontiersman or in any other publication or newspaper. However, if Mr Luster could or would expand on his views, opinions, and experiences many of us might have more questions, differences or agreements with him.

Clearly, his short article is related to the current situation involving the Big Game Commercial Services Board, The SOA Department Of Natural Resources (DNR), and the proposed DNR Guide Concession Area proposed plan and prospectus being pitched, spearheaded, by members of the Alaska Professional Hunters Association (APHA).

Right off the bat I noticed that Master Guide John Luster, despite his substantial experience and historical knowledge, is not currently a professional member of APHA. However, some of his comments could be interpreted as supporting, or not supporting of the current concession plan controversy, ProspectusGate.

So, thanks again, 68 Bronco. If we knew more about what Mr Luster was/is explaining, I believe that there would be many more contributions to this thread.

Sincerely,

Dennis
    AK TAGS

OK, I just got to know...does your user-name 68 Bronco relate to the '68 Ford Bronco? Or to the '68 Denver Broncos?

LOL prospectusgate!!!! no way dennis you made a funny!! gosh i should just sit here for a hour pilin' on rep points if this was in the general forum!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I would have to agree with Johnny,i'm not a master guide,but i have seen the changes over the years,from when guides took care of a area to the free for all that i'm seeing today,not saying that all guides are the same,there's still good ones out there.It is time for change........

the change they want to do is gonna make it a worse free for all, only there only be a couple guys there...no compitition...nothing to hold anyone back from expanding as big as they can get to cover all the area they'll have a permit for.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Lightbulb change...

The "change", as it is currently being discussed will make the winners, the superbowl winners, potentially wealthy with few or no limits, and no immediate competition.

The losers, the sudden death losers, will lose their livelihood. It will be a financial disaster, and past investments will be immediately devalued beyond comprehension.

Master Guide John Luster, regardless of his history and experience, presently has no guarantee that he will energe as a survivor.

And, as it is currently being discussed (by those that will be within the winners circle), the winners and losers will be determined by the size of their prospectus.

...read more in the New State Concessions thread...

Dennis
    AK TAGS

So do you think we should keep it the way it is???? Take a look at canada,they have guide use areas with one operator it works for them and it's worked for us in the past why wouldn't it work now??? The state might have to limit the numbers a guide can harvest,don't the feds do that on there land???? it seems to be working out nicely in the brooks???? We can go on and on,bottom line is there's not enough resource to go around,so how do we fixed that, common since tells me that you back numbers out,guides are first to get cut etc....then before you know it we go to a permit system for all animals state wide......honestly i wish i would of picked a different hobby sometimes...

Lightbulb Yes, Canada...

Those that believe they will be the winners do want to become like Canada. A stone sheep hunt in Canada is now about $30,000.00. Without competition, the winners can begin charging more and more, approaching what the Canadians charge. Again, as currently being discussed, it will be a sweet deal for those that can produce a large, professionally produced prospectus, and for those that are politically connected (wink, wink).

Dennis

Default Re:'give me more...'

I can't clarify for John Luster, maybe he'll be interested in doing so and I have no problem passing that on to him. I posted his article out of general concern for the highly polarized wildlife and habitat health/use issues we are faced with today on several fronts.

Most folks here know I am chair of Knik River Watershed Group and I have dedicated 20 years of very hard work and resources trying to get the headline grabbing issues out there turned around - yet the same laws I am asking to get enforcement for today are still as impossible to get enforced as they were then, I still can't park my vehicle out there, and one my favorite places for quiet hunts and boating has been handed over by DNR as an ORV park. No less than the BOG head, just for one, contributed erroneous testimony to this wayward process. On the 17th of last month, I had the displeasure of reporting 2 illegal moose kills in the area. I have reported, and documented so many events out there that I am just totally sick of it.
    Our opponents knew precisely what they were doing when they hooked up with the fear based crowd that could stick the PUA with on-call Trooper enforcement - so some of their abuse patterns could continue unabated - and those of us whom realized the value of Jim Swan Wetlands/Uplands are dealing today with hate publications distributed by individuals associated with groups I will not name today, pending further actions.
    Even though I use three types of ORV's in the Knik, I have endured threats and been called every name in the book by radicals. The reality is, I am an older Alaskan sick of seeing what is happening to habitat I have used for hunting, fishing, etc. and enjoyed. I like to have a few pieces of the natural world intact. I don't think man and machine need muck up everything - I am not blind. I don't think DNR should fail to coordinate with ADF&G, nor blatantly ignore USFWS ...... there I go again .... I am a tired, pissed off old man with my facts straight and documented as I grow less able to bite my tongue.
    So when I see that trappers, guides, subsistence users and others too are concerned with our agency management directions/issues - and I have had ample documented experience with the political processes trashing science, history, publicly funded plans, etc. in spite of their promises and instead jump high for special interest politicians/groups to create biased results - I take notice.
    Hence posting of J.L.'s article. I am more than concerned with the overall picture and do believe it is high time for genuine change.
    Others among you are more qualified to discuss details with Mr. Luster on the specific guide issues - I am just attempting to help the broader picture to emerge for awareness. This not meant to be hijacking my own thread, I considered the article worthy of sharing.

I have respected and known John for many years - long enough to know that when he speaks as he did in his opinion piece on a topic he is intimately familiar with - that it is darn sure worth considering. I am pleased he shared his thoughts.

knikriver.org

Oh - and that's Early Ford Broncos - been using them since 1966.