Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crab pot line

Default Crab pot line

What kind of rope as well as what size rope do you use on your crab pots? Thanks Guys!

I just use my shrimp pot lines. If they are too long, I just clip a halibut wt. on, so the floats don't trail off too far.

What do you use for shrimp pot lines?

Default Lead line

1/4" lead line. Have used 3/8 braided nylon and even poly. But poly floats so don't leave a long line of it on the surface. Works better between the pots though.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default question

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    1/4" lead line. Have used 3/8 braided nylon and even poly. But poly floats so don't leave a long line of it on the surface. Works better between the pots though.
    Between the pots? Can you elaborate?

Thanks

Here's what i tell folks to do, use a 600' shot sinking rope from your buoy down to a floating rope on your pots, the floating rope stays off the bottom and helps your pots from hanging down on the bottom. I suggest using 5/16" size rope but a size lighter or heavier won't hurt a thing and it depends on how much room you have to stow the rope when not fishing. I stock a high strength rope in both sinking(non leaded) and floating styles and this year will also have a soft lay braided sinking rope.
    OK here's what i suggest for rigging,
    600' sinking rope from buoy to first pot
    600' floating rope between pots, if you space your pots at 100' apart you will use 400' of the floating rope then you will have another 200' of floating rope to add to your buoyline for a total of 800' of buoyline and using my 25% extra buoyline theory you can safely fish down to aprox 650' for shrimp, the folks in Valdez fish shallower so you gotta adjust the buoyline for that area but you still need 25-30% more buoyline than depth your fishing.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    What do you use for shrimp pot lines?
    I use (from pot up)...

100' of 5/16" poly (floats) between pots with 100' after the last pot then 600' of 5/16" sinking rope to buoys.

Or you could just listen to that potbuilder guy above.

Default Sinking Leadline & Poly

I use sinking lead line for the areas under 200 feet depth. On the areas over 200 feet I use yellow poly all the way. About 80 feet down I tie two huge truck axle bearings on the line to weight it down so it cant float on top and it keeps the bouy straight.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_styles View Post
    Between the pots? Can you elaborate?

Thanks
    Floating rope doesn't hang down in the rocks like a sinking rope can. Some folks fish more than one pot per line, i myself fish 5 pots per line.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Thanks

Thanks Potbuilder. Sometimes I only have time for a quick response between teaching kids.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Thanks Potbuilder. Sometimes I only have time for a quick response between teaching kids.
    Dave,
    Sorry i kind of hyjacked that question, just couldn't help myself .

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Thanks, Steve/Potbuilder, but...

I guess the extra 25% is so if your pots slide down hill you have some slack to keep from pulling your buoy under and losing your pots? I've been running no more than 2 pots on a buoy because I lost a nice pot with a too-small bouy and no slack. I use bigger bouys now

So, I like the extra line idea, but where I am out of Valdez, there is always some slope and I would worry about losing 5 pots unless I had a humongous buoy!

Another question: do you put any weight in each pot??

Default weight

I have weights in my three bottom pots and I put a clip on about 10' up from the 5th pot.

I need to get a bigger bouy - thinking that I will just add another of the same size up the line a few feet with a styrofoam floater in between (jus in case a sniper gitz em

How much weight does one need when in Cook Inlet and the tides are ripping? Is a the pot enough weight to keep them in place?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    How much weight does one need when in Cook Inlet and the tides are ripping? Is a the pot enough weight to keep them in place?
    If you're asking about shrimp pots, there is no shrimping in Cook Inlet. If you're asking about crab pots, I don't think anyone would put a crab pot out where the tides are ripping but I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    I guess the extra 25% is so if your pots slide down hill you have some slack to keep from pulling your buoy under and losing your pots? I've been running no more than 2 pots on a buoy because I lost a nice pot with a too-small bouy and no slack. I use bigger bouys now

So, I like the extra line idea, but where I am out of Valdez, there is always some slope and I would worry about losing 5 pots unless I had a humongous buoy!

Another question: do you put any weight in each pot??
    Ron,
    The extra buoyline it sort of like having extra line out when you trying to hold bottom when halibut fishing, with the tide(current) pulling on the rope it wants to suck your buoys under or pull your gear off into the deep. If you use a bigger buoy and still don't have enough buoyline all its going to do is act like a bobber with a worm hanging on a hook in a sunfish pond and just drift away you need lots of extra buoyline, just remember with the tide running it doesn't pile up on the bottom but goes down at a angle so its not going to hang down on the bottom. I think most guys hang down when they start pulling their gear and don't run up on the line to be hauling straight up & down, they haul at a angle and just drag their gear into a snag and get hung down.
    OK thats out of the way now for weight!!
    You can't make the pots too heavy! the more weight the faster they sink and get to the target your trying to hit. I have 2 concrete runners molded on my pots for weights and if i get some time this spring a 3rd runner is going on. The only problem with heavy pots is that most(all ) of the toy pullers don't have the balls to pull the gear up or if they can it takes forever, i don't have that problem with my hydraulic hauler running off my main engine, it ain't stopped it yet!! I use 5/16" floating polysteel rope(not bluesteel) between the pots, 5 on a line, and 5/16" Esterpro sinking rope for buoylines because they are both aprox 40% stronger than regular poly/ leaded rope. The nice thing with these ropes is i can have the factory custom twist it for me so the lay is softer and they flake and store better, no coiling just flake it in a tote. I'm also going to have a braided sinking rope this year and that stuff is going to snot down real nice into a tote or tub. I never mess with any rope just let it run out of the hauler on to the deck. In the pic you can see the runners on my pots.
    merandyhauling2.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Maybe another cold one will help me understand that one!
    Steve PM on the way.

Default Crab pot weight

I think it depends on the weight of your pots. My crab pots for tanners in cook inlet weigh about 40 # each and using leaded groundline for rope.
    Didn't have a problem with the pots drifting last summer even on a minus tide day.
    The only time I ever had a problem was when some pot raiders helped themselves to some of my crabs. They must have drifted while they pulled and emptied them as one pot was moved 3 tenths of a mile. The other was right were I left it.
    Gear shed pots are what I am using and I am really impressed at how well they fish.
    Last year I used a buoy puller and used same buoy to mark pots.
    Never had any issues with buoy size causing pots to drift, but ,unlike shrimp pot fisherman I was not fishing on a steep slope.
    Hope this helps. Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast