Thread: Man vs. Wild on the Discovery Channel

Default Man vs. Wild on the Discovery Channel

Bear Grylls, from Man vs. Wild on the Discovery Channel ran a show that was taped in Alaska on PWS somewhere? It's was kinda Bull S??? the way it was done but the scenery was nice. Does anyone know the bay or area that it was shot at? There was an abandoned lodge it part of the scenes.
    I would run this in the survival log - but I don't think there would be that big of response?

No idea where that was located. I try not to watch his program as it is a load of BS on a continual basis.

I find Les Stroud aka; Survivorman, far more interesting and informative to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    No idea where that was located. I try not to watch his program as it is a load of BS on a continual basis.

I find Les Stroud aka; Survivorman, far more interesting and informative to watch.
    Wow, thats ironic. They are both a bit nuts, but survivorman's advice, even with simple things, is downright dangerous. When I saw that guy sleeping in that tin "hut" on the coast of Alaska with fish hanging/drying all around him, I thought he must be the biggest idiot on two feet.

Watching him drink water from a Papau Papua stream saying "it looks clean enough, it should be fine" only to walk around with dysentary for the next week was comical. Gryllis would never do such a thing.
    Stroud also trusted a gps for his Ontario adventure only to wake up to dead batteries. He had no map and no brain either. I hope that Canadian search and rescue team charged him for the days of searching for his stupid butt.

At least Gryllis uses some sense around bears.

Both shows can be suspect at times. The difference is, Grylls brings bottled water with him and has a crew to carry his gear.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Wow, thats ironic. They are both a bit nuts, but survivorman's advice, even with simple things, is downright dangerous. When I saw that guy sleeping in that tin "hut" on the coast of Alaska with fish hanging/drying all around him, I thought he must be the biggest idiot on two feet.

Watching him drink water from a Papau Papua stream saying "it looks clean enough, it should be fine" only to walk around with dysentary for the next week was comical. Gryllis would never do such a thing.
    Stroud also trusted a gps for his Ontario adventure only to wake up to dead batteries. He had no map and no brain either. I hope that Canadian search and rescue team charged him for the days of searching for his stupid butt.

At least Gryllis uses some sense around bears.
    Just an FYI...the Ontario show was all about the rescue team...it was a setup for instruction not to trust a GPS.

I think there is useful information in both shows. The less informed could really learn something from either.

Both had shows where they were dropped off in Alaska. The differences I saw was, from Bear I learned (1) how to "glisade" down an icy slope. (2) How to tell if water was safe to drink (3) how to "catch" a salmon with a big stick (4) how to be pro-active in getting out of trouble and (5) that keeping my mental state in the right gear is the most important thing. From Les I learned (1) eating rotted salmon was the only thing he could find to eat (2) he doen't know jack about building field expedient shelters (3) he botched his chances to catch fish and wasted his bait (4) he never thought about eating anything but fish when there was "food" all at his feet. He truly "survived"; Bear took his fate into his own hands and got out. I'm not saying everything on Bear's show is perfect but he does give some very solid survival tactics and that's a lot more than I can say for Les who "just happens" to find what he needs in a trash pile or he has it with him. Of course both shows has to have a certain amount of staging; it's friggin' Hollywood and it's expensive to just let the cameras run, paying a crew, hoping you'll catch something interesting. Even though it doesn't have to have a script, there needs to be a pre-planned direction, something that they want to give the viewer.