Thread: any type of barrel wax?

Default any type of barrel wax?

Is there any type of barrel wax for blued barrels on the market to coat the barrel to lessen the amount of moisture that attaches to the barrel & causes corrosion? (I can hear the SA remarks now, "Yeah, it's called Stainless steel!")

I usually apply some WD-40 on my gun while going out in the field, but I find that this comes off very easy when rubbed against clothing, etc. & remember that motorcycles have chain wax to prevent such rusting, & am wondering if there's any type of barrel wax? If not, I am thinking of buying some chain wax & using that, as it stay's on better than any oil based lube, or heck find a good candle, & rub it on the barrel eh?

Personally, I just go over everything with triflow. It seems to work fairly well once it is dry. I havent had a chance to try the otis dry lube yet.

Plain old Johnson paste floor wax works pretty good. I've also used Bore Butter by Thompson Center and Blue Wonder Armadillo.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Quote Originally Posted by ak257 View Post
    Plain old Johnson paste floor wax works pretty good. I've also used Bore Butter by Thompson Center and Blue Wonder Armadillo.
    Paste floor wax for me too. It works better around saltwater than any oil I've tried. And I think I've tried them all.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Paste floor wax for me too. It works better around saltwater than any oil I've tried. And I think I've tried them all.
    +3 ...me too!

Minwax works for me

I use rig, you can get it at SW, that is where I bought my last jar at. Works well here in SE Alaska.

Default corrosion

Why use wax ? Unless you plan on being in the feild for a month or so at a time a good lubricant is more than adequate.
    The link below shows what modern lubricants are capable of under continued exposure to extreme conditions.

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Why use wax ? Unless you plan on being in the feild for a month or so at a time a good lubricant is more than adequate.
    The link below shows what modern lubricants are capable of under continued exposure to extreme conditions.

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
    Not even close if you're in and out of boats and dinking around in saltwater with a shotgun, as on duck hunts. I haven't seen a single oil or grease that doesn't wear thin in spots during the course of a busy day, then present you with red spots by the time you get home. It's a wear thing, and even the best rust preventive oil or grease quits working when it wears off. And it will. Wax doesn't wear off nearly as fast.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I love my favorite oils and greases. But I love my guns more.

I have used Renaissance Wax for the past several years and haven't had a single problem. A little 2.5 oz tin has lasted about 3 years and I still have half of it left. No rust on anything I've used it on, including a cheapy Old Hickory 1095 steel knife I left out in the rain for 3 days to test the stuff.

Default Thanks Brown Bear...

Good post! Shotguns don't come in stainless, & saltwater area's love to eat up any blued guns...(had a 9mm get rusty without any lube just sitting around for 3 weeks on the coast)

Brav, I don't doubt modern lubes are good, when they're just sitting around, but when your out & about the field, guns get rubbed on clothing, grasses, tree bracnes, leaves, in & out of gun cases & you have to continually apply lube...a good wax will lessen the amount of lubing you have to do.

I have used Johsntons Paste Wax too with great success.
    Flitz makes a wax that works good to.
    Rust Guard is a spray on wax that works really good too, if you can find it.

Johnstons is the cheapest way to go. I take the gun out of the stock and wax all the surfaces heavily, let dry, then reassemble

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I keep hearing about Floor Wax, but since I couldn't find it in a small can, I keep on using Rig, like mfletcher does.

I also seal the stock inside with Birchwood, including the screw holes and the magazine well. Then put a heavy coat of Rig, on the underside of the action etc. including the magazine, and screws.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I keep hearing about Floor Wax, but since I couldn't find it in a small can, I keep on using Rig, like mfletcher does.

I also seal the stock inside with Birchwood, including the screw holes and the magazine well. Then put a heavy coat of Rig, on the underside of the action etc. including the magazine, and screws.

Smitty of the North
    I use the heck out of Rig for lubing revolvers and such, but in the temperatures I work, it rubs off like Vaseline when I apply it to the outside of a gun. What's left behind sure isn't enough to stop saltwater and salt air from going to work.

I'm not convinced there's any magic to which wax you use, though. I couldn't find my tin of floor wax before leaving on a weeklong boat hunt, so I stuck in a little jug of Birchwood Casey stock wax. It seemed to work just as well as the floor wax, and due to rough seas and tough beach landings, my rifles got soaked in salt at least twice a day. I cleaned and rewaxed each night, but after a good wetting each morning, the guns stayed "salted" all day long. No rust.

Brownbear:

OK, thanks for the info.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Unhappy wd-40

For what it's worth wd-40 get rid of it BAD it corrode's metal and freezes not opinon fact that stuff will cause problems

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    For what it's worth wd-40 get rid of it BAD it corrode's metal and freezes not opinon fact that stuff will cause problems
    I agree, it is BAD.

I only use it for brushing my teeth, nowadays. It even tastes bad.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default salt water finish

My gun dealer showed me some finish he puts on guns that comes in almost any color. it stands up to salt water with no problem. I likes the gray it even come in pink. sorry I did not grasp the name I was buying my new ruger .380 lcp so I was to jazzed to rememmber the name he showed me a 410 used for killing halibut was rusted bad. I knew the guy that used it he died last year worked with him on the slope. his 410 looked new from the finish. I will find out what the finish was. was just to excited about the new CCW I bought.

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Default Now that's funny right there!LOL!

"I only use it for brushing my teeth, nowadays. It even tastes bad."

I don't care who you are! ROTFLMAO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    "I only use it for brushing my teeth, nowadays. It even tastes bad."

I don't care who you are! ROTFLMAO!!!
    Yeah, and not only that, it's Dumb too.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.