Thread: Gun Owner's Challenge!

Default Gun Owner's Challenge!

I hereby issue a challenge to each and every gun owner within range of this post. Dig out your 22's and 38's! During the next couple months, invite a non-shooter you know (from work, school, church, etc.) to go with you to the range for an hour (or two) of target shooting.

It is time that we take back our sport. And the only way to do that is to get more people involved. So we must get our young people and other non-shooters educated about the reality of guns.

To do this, you need to do the following:

Have a firm grasp of the 4 Universal Firearms Safety Rules and be able to teach them to someone who knows nothing about gun safety.

Have some simple, entry level guns and appropriate target ammo for them

Have some targets and stands. Reactive targets are the best. Clay pigeon targets that will shatter when hit make good close range plinking targets.

Have all the needed range safety gear for everyone that you're taking to the range (safety glasses, hearing protection, etc). The person you invite shouldn't have to do anything but show up.

Good luck with your mission. And enjoy yourselves in the process.

p.s. If there are any non-shooters in the Kenai-Soldotna area that happen across this post and are interested, PM me for a free trip to the Snowshoe Gun Club.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

That is a great idea Joat. I started last year. I got one of my asst managers (female) into the shooting sport. She had always been "afraid" of guns. I just introduced her to a .270 a couple of weeks ago. Let me tell 'ya, I don't want to get into a competition with her!!! She is loving the sport! She now has her 2 daughters involved. I have now started another female and she too is really looking forward to it.

I have a goal of introducing 5 folks to shooting each year. We have to get more folks involved.
    EricL

You sly dogs, a new way to meet babes.

Thumbs up Good Idea

Last week the wife and I took a non shooting couple to the range. It was a great time. I suggest getting LARGE targets (no new shooter likes to miss). After a while of shooting we switched to a smaller target (large box to paper plate) for some shooting games. Keep in mind the wife and i were shooting with a couple so we played aginst our spouses...to keep the playing field level (the wife shoots well too). Also the wives were shooting a 9mm and men had .45acp (we talked about it with the couple before going to the range).

First Game: each person has a paper plate with a 3 inch circle in the middle. Pick the distance and whoever puts more rounds in the circle wins. In a tie...closest round to the target area wins.

Second Game: Take two sheets of paper and fill in 2 inch squares in rows down the paper. 6 squares per sheet. Play two rounds (one sheet each). Each person tries to put a round in every square. Once everyone has shot, count the hits whoever has more wins. Simple but fun.

We are suppose to take the couple out again to shoot our ar15s

There are some great ideas on here. Sure would like to see more folks helping get people involved.
    EricL

Thumbs up already planned..........

My daughter and her husband meet once a month with some high school boys and girls from our church. So they are always looking for some worth while activities. I told her we will go to the Snow Shoe Gun Range and shoot some .22s, both the rifle and hand gun.

Thumbs up already planned..........

My daughter and her husband meet once a month with some high school boys and girls from our church. So they are always looking for some worth while activities. I told her we will go to the Snow Shoe Gun Range and shoot some .22s, both the rifle and hand gun.

I usually try and get guys from the shop to go shooting. So far we have a group of about 10 and more are gonna come next time. It is suprising how people react when they realize guns can be safe and fun. My troop is from New York City and was VERY apprehensive about guns but he is coming around... he really wants to go shoot some clays so I am taking him next time.