Thread: Waterproofing new Lowa sheephunters

Default Waterproofing new Lowa sheephunters

I need to treat my new Lowa sheephunters. I want to use some of the Obenauf's protector on the boots. Is there anyplace in Anchorage that carries this stuff?

i haven't seen it in town, but i would recommend nikwax aqueous wax. the sheephunters (non-schnees) are nubuck leather, which you really should waterproof for outdoor use. my kenetreks are nubuck and i used the aqueous wax and it has done a great job on them. really soaks into the nubuck leather. i would say that kenetrek doesn't recommend the product your asking about for their nubuck leather mountain boots.

Aqueous wax x2 here. I have the Kennetreks as well and the Aqueous wax has worked great on my boots. It does not seem to break down the leather like many of the waterproofing treatments or leather conditioners will do. With a stiff mountaineering boot the last thing you want to do is deteriorate the stiffness of the leather! After one hard season and 35-40 days in the field walking several hundered miles I reapplied the Aqueous wax and the boots look like I just walked out of sportsmans w/h with them for the first time. I have stood in 6-7" of water in them dozens of times for upwards of an hour and have never had a leak. I even stood in the Knik river for over 1/2 hour dropping the jet foot on my boat with no issues. Hard to say if that is more a testament to the boots or the Aqueous wax though...

I've been using the Obenauf's spray on waterproofing on my Lowa's the last two years and have had great results. No leaking, well unless I go over the boot tops. I have heard great things about the Nikwax, but I prefer the ease of the spray on Obenauf's. A couple of coats and let soak in over night and one more coat and I'm good to go for another couple months.

Oh and I bought my Obenauf's as Sportman's Warehouse.

This is what I was advised to use on leather/gore-tex boots like my Lowa Hunter GTX Extremes, or as you call them, Sheep Hunters. I've used it and it works great. Barney's stocks it.
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23946

i was mistaken on the Obenauf's stuff, i believe they make a wax based substance that is in a solid form as well, that is the stuff i was referring to, not the spray.

Boots are waterproofed with the Nikwax Aqueous stuff. I am amazed at how well they fit right out of the box. I wore them out to town tonight and it was like they have been on my feet for weeks. Can't wait to tackle some tough terrain in the Sheephunters. Will probably wear for a few more days in low impact areas to get them broken in well- although I don't think there is too much to do given the awesome fit. As a side note the only place in town with the Nikwax Aqueous was REI. Talk about a hard to find product.