Thread: Ak Hunting News: BLM May Take Action on Tundra Trucks

Arrow Ak Hunting News: BLM May Take Action on Tundra Trucks

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome, but these robot generated news threads are not monitored by the webmaster.

The two truck owners stuck in the tundra off the Haul Road may face legal as well as financial problems as a result of driving their pickup trucks off the road in September in order to retrieve downed caribou, according to the Anchorage Daily News.

"I'm investigating it with the intent that (legal) action will be taken against the violators," said Bureau of Land Management ranger Ed Lee of Fairbanks.

"The hunters last week received permission from the BLM to jack the trucks up and put them on plastic blocks in hopes they will be able to drive them out when the ground freezes this winter. The trucks are on BLM land about 370 miles north of Fairbanks."

Read the entire article >>>

The issue was discussed extensively in at least one Alaska Hunting Forum thread.

Read the individual article on Alaska Hunting News...

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

Very curious about the lack of enforcement by the troopers. Trooper even stated that no fish and game violations had taken place. Mixed signals up there. No wonder no one knows how to play the game.

Yeah, i thought someone said they were cited for wanton waste on one of the caribou.

Quote:"The hunters expressed remorse for their actions but didn't have a reason for doing what they did, Hammond said."

Can you say lazy???
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

I'd say there was a little more to it than being lazy, I think inexperience played a major role in this fiasco. Once they realized how far 5 miles really is and having to pack that meat in probably 2 trips, they figured they could just drive out there. You would think that the lack of vehicle tracks and trails would have told them something. Lack of experience.

Default Tough?

If your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough. the first part is right, and ok the second 2
    Louie

I chuckled when the newspaper talked about driving the trucks out on frozen ground, "assuming they still run." Given all the discussion these guys have generated, that might be a big assumption. When the Fairbanks paper ran the story, the photo on the front page included GPS coordinates for the Ford. I can think of a whole lot of reasons why those vehicles may not be running when they go back to get them out, and nature's just one of them.

To add to the stupidity, the BLM guy WON"T let them drive the trucks out until the ground is frozen and there is sufficient snow cover.
    NEWSFLASH IDIOT..........trucks don't drive over the tundra very well with "sufficient" snow cover. Any possibility this guy knows the definition of the word drift?
    I'm betting it isn't exactly FLAT the whole way from the further out truck to the road. Sufficient snow cover on the flat parts will mean a couple feet or more in the drainages. That truck needs to come out now, or it's gonna be a land mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Talking Can you spell Cat Train (or Skycrane)!

No doubt this window of frozen opportunity to drive out would be predicated by them standing by watching the day to day weather. Ah yes, the Feds really know Alaska..........

Default Should have taken a closer look at the regs...

I don't have a copy of the regs with me at the moment, but I thought that it clearly stated that you could not use vehicles to hunt within five miles of the Haul Road.

If you're going to hunt up here, or anywhere for that matter, you HAVE to take the time to read the regs before you go out.

In my opinion they deserve what they got, just a shame we'll have to be staring at a couple of rusting hulks whenever we're out there doing it the right way...

Firt, there is no way the vehicles will be left out there. Second, I believe the offroad driving thing is a land use issue with BLM, not ADFG.

Default BearBait1

I hope you're right that they won't be left out there...

Also, if you take a look at page 101 in the current ADFG regs it specifically says NO LAND VEHICLES. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I figure this means no trucks either.

Hope this clarifies things... whether it be a BLM or ADFG issue, the regs still prohibit land vehicles within 5 miles of the Haul Road.

I think it's safe to say that they didn't read the regs thouroughly like they should have.

kind of funny really, we were just up there hunting. had the bows and one gun, incase we got frisky and decided to walk 30 miles. (5 miles each way, 3 trips?) Anyway, troopers stopped by camp, BS'd for a few, asked for our licenses, asked how were hunting (bow or gun; both we said) then asked if we had ANY questions or anything in the regs that they may need to clarify for us. "No sir, been hunting up here for years, pretty much know the law. thanks tho!!" they were super helpful, even telling us where they were seeing the bou (and bears too for that matter). We struck out; may try again in the spring. Looks like my bou will have to be of the 40 mile variety this year.