Thread: Deshka Kings

Default Deshka Kings

Who thinks it will be open for fishing this year or will they just close it down. I hear fish and game donesnt think its going to be much of a run again this year.

Thumbs down Restrictions

From what we understand it will open with no bait, 6 AM to 11 PM. Increased restrictions will probably become a reality after the first counts come in. We are hoping for the best, but there are several factors working against the numbers!! It is highly suggested to head out before June 10th!!
    (907) 495-3374 WWW.DESHKALANDING.COM

Default Deshka Kings

Thanks for the heads up! Missed last years season so I'm hoping for several this year

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Deshka Landing View Post
    From what we understand it will open with no bait, 6 AM to 11 PM. Increased restrictions will probably become a reality after the first counts come in. We are hoping for the best, but there are several factors working against the numbers!! It is highly suggested to head out before June 10th!!
    This may not be the best advice one could have given. Last year we witnessed the Worst of the Worst. A few guides and locals (very Local to you) devised a HOG LINE and trapped the few spawners that came into the mouth of the Deshka. They raked them out of the single hole they were in and kept at it day after day until they got shut down. This line of thought, of going after the fish until we know for sure the stocks are not in jeapordy is in my opinion, not what is best for the resource.
    If it happens again this year, I will photo/video the circus and post it up here and other forums, for all to see just who these folks are. It is a shameful, greedy practice all for money and grins.
    We should follow the local bio's suggestions and pay close attention to what our collective practices can do to help the fish stocks, not rape them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Don't expect any improvement in the King run this year...

So I was talking to one of the biologists from the fisheries dept and he said not to expect any better run of Kings this year than we had last year. We didn't get into any specifics or reasons as we were talking about shrimping but there it is, straight from the horses mouth as of this morning, about 10am......

so basically forecasts are made by taking the number of younger fish and knowing the average number of young fish will tell you about what that year class will contribute to future runs. So they know the number of 3 year fish and say those 3 year fish are an average of 25% of that year class 4 year fish are 50% and 5 year fish are 25% knowing the first number of 3 year fish you can fairly accurately predict the contribution from that age class to the next two runs. Because last years run was insanely small it would follow that next years run will also be small, unless the run from the age class they study had a disproportional return compared to recent years (this could be the case given the insanely cold water we had last year), or if a different year class comes in really strong.

My prediction is a medium sized run with a lot of smaller fish, and a 1 fish limit throughout the season.

Hope everyone is wrong like happens often..
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Eye for the obvious...

It's funny, I was operating a trip over to the Pac-Rim about 6 months ago and the Captain had a copy of Alaska Magazine that I decided to read during my break. There was one cover story that I was really interested in, it was about the depleted king run on the Deshka. After reading the story I discovered that the issue was from 12 years ago! Apparently the wife of the guy who I was flying with would grab the old magazines that they were giving away at the local library. The numbers from back then were virtually the same as last years numbers so there is hope. I'd personnaly give up a season or two on the river to ensure a stronger run in the future but I think the real damage is being done by the commercail folks. You just can't compare the numbers of fish depleted by the sport fisheries when compared to the commercial fisherman. Of course, we're our own worst enemy to some extent when you look at the number of sport fisherman (sad) who show up at meetings to discuss the issue. The commercials are well represented so until we can get "organized" and lobby to the same extent as them we're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    You just can't compare the numbers of fish depleted by the sport fisheries when compared to the commercial fisherman. Of course, we're our own worst enemy to some extent when you look at the number of sport fisherman (sad) who show up at meetings to discuss the issue. The commercials are well represented so until we can get "organized" and lobby to the same extent as them we're screwed.
    Man that's hillarious, given there are 9 of the commercial folks fishing the fish that run in the susitna, kinik arm, and turnagain arm.. They catch less fish a year than an average day at the hog line

dont forget the pike guys! there are, in the deshka drainage, a growing population of pike....there used to not be as far as i know....also while there are only 9 "registered" commercial fishermen....thats not counting the guys who fish illegal setnets and dipnets off the shores of knik arm....there are also fish pirates in the mouth of the big su who operate at nite with dippin gillnets....ive seen them coming out of the mouth and shooting straight for tyonek and also back to pt.mack and also back upriver to the parks highway access points, and Ive found their camps on islands where they filleted what they caught...many kings, reds, silvers, trout.... mind you i have black bear bait stations in the big su delta, so that is how i know..... ive reported it to the troopers several times but i dont believe they followed up too much on it, maybe they were too busy with the crowds? i know they are stretched thin. but for certain I know the pike are really puttin a dent in the outgoing smolt and resident fry...as well as grayling, whitefish and rainbows/ dollies....

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    dont forget the pike guys! there are, in the deshka drainage, a growing population of pike....there used to not be as far as i know....also while there are only 9 "registered" commercial fishermen....thats not counting the guys who fish illegal setnets and dipnets off the shores of knik arm....there are also fish pirates in the mouth of the big su who operate at nite with dippin gillnets....ive seen them coming out of the mouth and shooting straight for tyonek and also back to pt.mack and also back upriver to the parks highway access points, and Ive found their camps on islands where they filleted what they caught...many kings, reds, silvers, trout.... mind you i have black bear bait stations in the big su delta, so that is how i know..... ive reported it to the troopers several times but i dont believe they followed up too much on it, maybe they were too busy with the crowds? i know they are stretched thin. but for certain I know the pike are really puttin a dent in the outgoing smolt and resident fry...as well as grayling, whitefish and rainbows/ dollies....
    fish pirates huh? Pike don't really explain the recent downturn however, it affected runs from bristol bay to cailfornia, so my guess is the ocean. Plenty of fish seemed to be escaping even with the limit of 2 and the pirates... Also pike tend to be better predators on sockeye and coho given their habitat

I do seem to remember that 5 years ago was hot as the sun with water temps in the 60s and super low water, this probably affected king spawning statewide and explains why glacial riers (kasilof and kenai) had much better runs than clear rivers (deshka, willow bristol bay)