Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Caliber, Minimum Cartridge

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Minimum Caliber, Minimum Cartridge

Having been Inspired by 340wby's 1 Rifle 1 Cal 1 Knife? I've got one that I've considered many times.

Assuming you can have ONLY ONE RIFLE, for ALL uses, Emergencies, Hunting, Bar Protection, and Everything else,,,,, and EVERYTHING MUST BE kept to an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM,,,,,,

What is the Minimum Caliber for a Beeg Game Cartridge, and the Minimum Cartridge for that Caliber?

I myself would choose 6.5 caliber, and the cartridge would be something like the 6.5 Mannlicher Carcano, 6.5 Mannlicher Schoenauer, or possibly the 260 Rem.

I don't have any 6.5mm rifles now, as I'm playin it safe with 7mm. BUT, I consider 6.5 as minimum, rejecting 25, 24, and 22 Calibers as minimally suitable for ALL Big Game.

On the OFF-CHANCE, Yeah Right, that someone might disagree with me on this, I'd like to hear your ideas.

Thanks for your indulgence.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

With good shooting and proper bullets, i believe I could make it happen with a 270 and a good 150 bullet... Brownies included
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

For Alaska, I have settled on a .30 cal for everything I hunt, I chose the 300 WSM simply because I liked the package it came in...Kimber Montana!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    For Alaska, I have settled on a .30 cal for everything I hunt, I chose the 300 WSM simply because I liked the package it came in...Kimber Montana!
    OK, so are you saying that your minimum caliber for "ALL uses, Emergencies, Hunting, Bar Protection, and Everything else" is 30 Cal.

And, the 300 WSM is your mimimum cartridge. You wouldn't settle for a 308, or a 30-30? (Not as the best choice, other things considered, but AS MINIMUM)

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Bar protection?

As in drinking establishment?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Having been Inspired by 340wby's 1 Rifle 1 Cal 1 Knife? I've got one that I've considered many times.

Assuming you can have ONLY ONE RIFLE, for ALL uses, Emergencies, Hunting, Bar Protection, and Everything else,,,,, and EVERYTHING MUST BE kept to an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM,,,,,,

What is the Minimum Caliber for a Beeg Game Cartridge, and the Minimum Cartridge for that Caliber?

I myself would choose 6.5 caliber, and the cartridge would be something like the 6.5 Mannlicher Carcano, 6.5 Mannlicher Schoenauer, or possibly the 260 Rem.

I don't have any 6.5mm rifles now, as I'm playin it safe with 7mm. BUT, I consider 6.5 as minimum, rejecting 25, 24, and 22 Calibers as minimally suitable for ALL Big Game.

On the OFF-CHANCE, Yeah Right, that someone might disagree with me on this, I'd like to hear your ideas.

Smitty of the North
    hi smitty! well........it's easy to read something into this "minimum" but you said ONE RIFLE. that's easy. a bolt action 30-06. probably winchester, remington, or kimber.
    happy trails.
    jh

308 with 165 gr quaility bullet

OK, so are you saying that your minimum caliber for "ALL uses, Emergencies, Hunting, Bar Protection, and Everything else" is 30 Cal.

And, the 300 WSM is your mimimum cartridge. You wouldn't settle for a 308, or a 30-30? (Not as the best choice, other things considered, but AS MINIMUM)

Smitty of the North

Guess I dont know what your asking? I read it as what caliber and cartridge a guy would settle on for "Everything" you would hunt, if it were a one gun battery!

Default Well

While I like and have fired a lot of rifles and calibers. The term minimal calibers is never going to fly.
    The suggested use of a small caliber rifles even with a heavy for caliber bullets on large animals like hippos, elephants, cape buffalo, lions and bears is something I wouldn't reccommend. If it doesn't retreat at the first sign of danger you become the victim of their rath. Under less than ideal conditions and perfect projectile performance, you can become the statistic and the hunter becomes the hunted. Even following a fatally wounded large game animal into dense cover with limited visability with a large bore rifle increases the pucker factor immensly; a small bore no-way.
    There is no substitution for bullet mass at proper velocities for self deffense; providing you shoot the rifle well.
    While some may consider it a large bore or a cannon, the middle of the road 375 H&H is a very versatile caliber with bullet weights that allow for a lot of hunting on varied terrains animal sizes. With a 270 Sierra gameking or 270gr Accubond it's ballistic flight path is on par with the 30-06 out to 500 yds. Yet it has almost twice as much terminal power at the same ranges.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Guess I dont know what your asking? I read it as what caliber and cartridge a guy would settle on for "Everything" you would hunt, if it were a one gun battery!
    Here it is again.....

"Assuming you can have ONLY ONE RIFLE, for ALL uses, Emergencies, Hunting, Bar Protection, and Everything else,,,,, and EVERYTHING MUST BE kept to an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM,,,,,,"

"What is the Minimum Caliber for a Beeg Game Cartridge, and the Minimum Cartridge for that Caliber?"

I'm talking mimimum for your own personal use, for ALL purposes YOU could expect, not for everything in the world, like "hippos, elephants, cape buffalo, lions" as BravO1 mentioned. I don't expect to ever do one of those. (If you do, consider it.) I may run into a bear so I've considered that.

Also, not the BEST choice, or the most suitable, but the MINIMUM, or the smallest, you think you could get by with.

The minimum cartridge, you would choose? And what is the Caliber of that cartridge?

As an example, some folks say that the minimum caliber for their purposes is 30 Caliber. The next choice is which cartridge. 30-30, 300 Savage, 308, 30-06, 300 Mag. etc.

I chose 6.5, as the minimum caliber, and then 3 possible cartridges. Probably the 260 Remington is the most practical choice, due to availability, and modernization. I also said

"rejecting 25, 24, and 22 Calibers as minimally suitable for ALL Big Game".

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Frank Glaser killed most species of game in Alaska with a 220 Swift, including interior grizzlies. I wonder how many spare chonies he carried while in the field.

I have killed everything in Alaska (except Bison) with a 7x57mm Mauser. (have 3)
    It could also be done with a 6.5 Swede. (have 3)
    However, I would prefer a 30-06 as the minimum Alaskan cartridge (now have 2)
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I'm with FloatPilot on this one 7x57 or possibly 6.5 x55 would work fine for everything I'm going to run into in Ak. Both have excellent penetration using heavy for caliber bullets and although not first choice for big bears they would work.

Default Just a thought

I noticed you said "rifle"....If I was going after small game, large game, and everything in between, a 12 gauge would fit. I admit, no long shots, you have to be close, but bird shot, buck shot and a slug can take down most game. Not the first choice for big bears, but everything else, including home defense.

Not trying to hijack, just a thought.....

Ron

I'd probably stick with a 30.06, 165 gr bullet.

Default always been a one rifle kinda guy

I currently own the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .375ruger. I shoot the Hornady .270grn factory load. Nice package to carry with a lupy 1.75x6 VXIII. This way I don't have choice and can never take a rifle to small and get into trouble. The KISS method, Keep It Simple Stupid!

Smitty of the North
    .500 A-Square. Load it down, load it up; it'll do anything.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Waffling between 270 and 7mm....

If 270, I'd probably go with 270 Winchester and probably 24" tube since it is long action anyway, not worrying about petite

If 7mm, I'd probably go with 7mm-08. Short action, load it up and down. Kimber Montana, which is petite.

I guess if it was just one, had to be absolute minimum caliber, to do everything, well then I'd go with Kimber Montana 7mm-08 with Leupold 2.5X-8 VXIII in Talley's. Birds to Bears, it's a stretch but I think it could cover the spectrum with the vast array of bullet weights and types available in 7mm.

[QUOTE=Float Pilot;443398]I have killed everything in Alaska (except Bison) with a 7x57mm Mauser. (have 3)
    It could also be done with a 6.5 Swede. (have 3)
    QUOTE]

Thanks, it's settled then. I've always been comfortable with 7x57, and had some Military versions, off and on. My ONE rifle for actual use was a 280 Rem., pretty close to the 7x57.

And, going down to a 6.5 cartridge would be as far as I would go.

I've not bagged a huge variety of game, so my thinking was/is pretty much theoretical.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    I noticed you said "rifle"....If I was going after small game, large game, and everything in between, a 12 gauge would fit. I admit, no long shots, you have to be close, but bird shot, buck shot and a slug can take down most game. Not the first choice for big bears, but everything else, including home defense.

Not trying to hijack, just a thought.....

Ron
    Good call Ron! I dunno if you consider yourself a midwesterner but seems like I was thinking the same thing... mainly by growing up a shotgunner in the midwest. Darn 12 gauge is VERSATILE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast