Thread: marcus baker goat

Default marcus baker goat

Woo Hoo, I drew the marcus baker goat tag. I have a friend willing to go with me to help and his dad has 30 goats under his belt but not in this area so I am curious what anyone has to say about access and so on.

Default Air Access

I suggest accessing the upper Grasshopper Valley area with Meekins Air Service. Mike Meekins and his son-in-law do the flying. Mike has about 100 years of safe flying history, perhaps a little less. His phone number is 907 745-1626 or cell # 355-6159

You can access the lower valley with four-wheelers, which I am not familiar with.

If you hunt early and the weather is warm/hot, watch yourself crossing that glacial stream.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

I am considering going late to see if weather will bring the goats down and easier to access. We are in good shape and early 30's so able to go the distance I hope, but I will have to get out and hike it this summer some and see what I am up against. Not sure I want to hire a drop unless it is fairly inexpensive, but I will give him a call and discuss it with him. I certainly will not eat this tag though, if I have to I will plan an early trip and if unsuccessful I will keep a fly in as a back up plan. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Default go late...

Go in this summer an early season with wheelers. Great exercise after ditching the wheelers. But I'm a real fan of going in mid Sept for mountain goat success. A week ago there was a thread concerning permit hunt 334 on the Keani Pen, the date related stuff I posted there will also apply to your hunt. It has been many years since I was in Grasshopper Valley, and it was always at the upper strip. While I was always focused on sheep, I also always saw mountain goats...long time ago...too long ago.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default BC Goat

I had the hunt last year and harvested a billy that scored 51 3/4 inches. He was chilling with a nanny and twin 2 year olds...

We flew in (private plane) to Grasshopper valley and based from the strip. We saw about a dozen huntable goats, 4 of which seemed to be billy's. Steep terrain, not to climb so much as to watch your goat fall down...mine bloodied his face pretty good but didn't do any damage, he fell about 200 feet. In the second pic he's the fella laying down above the twins...one last nap I suppose.

Great hunt for a motivated person! I killed my goat on the 28th of September...fantastic hair!

Thumbs up !!!

sockeye1,
    When one speaks of a goat scoring 51 6/8 you need to add a few additional decsriptive words. Words and phrases like 1) Sensational, 2) monster 3) B&C qualifying, 4) incredebile huge for southcentral. Because 10 inch + mountain goats deserves recognition! That is an absolutely huge goat, a sensational trophy. I know your hunt was rough and tough. And you were emotionally committed. And that guy will rank quite high in the B&C record book. Congratulations!!!

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default 4 wheeler trail???

Dennis,
    Are we talking about the same grasshopper valley? I have landed in there and hunted a couple dozen times. To my knowledge the 4 wheeler trails don't go much past the toe of the glacier. I can't imagine I missed seeing a 4 wheeler trail but it could happen I guess. (I have been wrong plenty before!) Thats one heck of a walk to get up and around the corner, let alone up to real good goat country from the glacier toe. I don't think a fella can reasonably expect to hunt up the valley from a wheeler. I wouldn't.

As far as your hunt goes, even if the 4 wheeler trail went all the way, I'd still fly with Mike. He's first class.

AK_HUNT,
    There is only one Grasshopper Valley that I know of. In the first post I contributed I suggested flying into the upper strip. That is what I have done.
    I had heard of guys taking wheelers back past Metal Creek and then backpaking up. I know one "half-animal half caveman" climbed up all the way to sheep country an took a fantastic ram. I know of a couple of normal humans who tried and failed. Twenty years ago my boots took me some insane places, but I accessed upper Grasshopper with a super-cub. I tend to sit in the back of a super-cub now, more often. My primary suggestion is to fly up to the upper strip. A wheeler trail does not go up into the valley from the floor of the Knik River/Glacier. Lot of black bear in there also. It is clearly tough country. sockeye1 mentioned he shot that B&C goat in there, and billy goats don't live to be 6 or 8 years old in easy country.
    Call Mike Meekins.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default Thanks

Thanks alot for the insight guys, I called mike and he is out with f and g for a week but I am awaiting his call to most likely book a drop with him. If you don't consider it prying what did he charge last year for a drop off?

Air support always hurts. Two years ago I took a client in a few miles south or Grasshopper Vally. From the mountain top where my client-hunter whacked a 10 1/2 inch, B&C 50 2/8, SCI 32 3/8, 8 year old monster of a billy goat we could look north to Grasshopper Valley and Marcus Baker Glacier. It cost me (choke, choke) $900.00 round trip for each of us. $1800.00 total. Airplanes are expensive. Av-gas is expensive. Insurance is really expensive. His lifetime of flying is expensive. We should have learned to fly.
    You could also try BAT, Bobs Air Taxi. Bob owns one of those aircraft maintenance businesses at the Palmer airport. Super pilot, with a tricked-up super-cub. His business is 907 745-6030. He might be flying or guiding somewhere, and therefore unavailable. He does some flying with Meekins.

Note that in about five years that valley should once again start producing record book rams. That areas permit system is only a year old. When todays five year old rams are ten years old the unknown glory of Marcus Baker glacier will, I hope, return.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

i've flown with BAT out to lake george once as well. Good guy, great pilot. Meekin's does alot of flying in that country as well. Weideker air i think flys back in there quiet a bit too. i like him alot. Cubs aint' a cheap plane anymore, expect anywhere from 180-250 and hour for a cub pilot. pack light..some of them get stingy.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Hey I was wondering if you saw any other hunters while there? I talked to another air taxi today, but I am wondering if there is a good time concerning other hunters? I am thinking about the 22nd through the 27th or so to get it done. The pilot said it is a 4 mile walk through to the goat country. And he said he lands on the strip at the bottom of the valley and he said he won't land on the upper strip anymore because it is rough now. Is the upper strip the place to be or the lower one just as good?

Default Upper

The upper is the place to be. There are a few "uppers" actually but they are all pretty short. Some VERY short. Don't have an amatuer fly you into one of those. Mike has landed in there longer than I've been alive, I think.
    You could walk from the lower but ya gotta cross the glacier "stream" Dennis warned you of. Heed his high water warning...it will shut you down. I can't say as I've ever seen goats from the lower but maybe they get down there. Also, BAT hasn't been flying for a couple years but maybe he's back up....wasn't last fall.
    With it going permit, I think folks might be in there all season instead of all piling in the first week. The way to be safe there too is to fly Meekins. He can get you into another of the strips if someone is on the one you are going to. Plus, I'd bet he flies 75% of the hunters for these hunts anyway, so you can book around them with his schedule.
    Otherwise you walk 4 miles and find someone already there. That's a gamble.
    Find some private pilot to split gas with and fly it this summer. You probably won't want to walk it and gamble with the river.
    Hope this helps. Its a first class goat hunt.