Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoons for silvers in the salt

Default Spoons for silvers in the salt

I will be fishing Coho in Homer this summer and was wondering what your favorite colors are when you troll with spoons in the salt.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i dont troll spoons, mainly jig when i do get out there. cast and retreive sometimes and chartruse seems to be a killer although ive caught them on red as well. i think getting the right speed and actions is more critical than color.

Crocodile spoons.
    colors.

Silver spoon with red, blue, green, or metal flash

Gold spoon with metal flash

I will always have one rod hooked up with one spoon.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Salmon Prop Lure

One of the hottest lures I have used is the "Salmon Prop" available from B&J. Green or Silver & Green seemed to work the best.

Default 2nd the motions for Crocs

I go with Alaska Gray on the Crocodile spoons in the 1 oz variety. I usually fish silver with the white pearly sticker on it, but also use silver spoons with the blue or green stripe. When I am trolling the downriggers I always have one Croc on at all times. No matter what we fish on the other rigger, the Croc usually gives the best results.
    One other thing I always do with those spoons is superglue one of those plastic squiggley eyes on the front end. Something about that eye seems to work!

a few different colors would be good to have...but if I could have only one color it would definitely be chartreuse.

some combination of chrome and green. I like coyote spoons. I like small tomic plugs better...

stack wolverine silver streaks of many colors till you find what they like each day.
    Paul

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default little cleo

silver with green or blue strip.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Rather than spoons for trolling, I've had much more success with Luhr-Jensen Tee-Spoons. A spinner rather than a spoon in size 5 for Coho's is my ticket. One thing I do is swap out the factory treble hook. I put on a single hook (2/0 3/0) using a barrel swivel and split ring between the hook and the lure body. I had a couple of coho roll and break the factory treble until someone turned me on to the single hook and extra swivel. I do throw 1oz Krocodiles (Silver, also with the single hook and a tiny hoochie) once I find a school of coho.

Acme Sidewinder
    3/4 ounce in silver and chartreuse
    cast it or troll it
    can be hard to find but worth the effort

I'm a big fan of krocodiles as well.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    One other thing I always do with those spoons is superglue one of those plastic squiggley eyes on the front end. Something about that eye seems to work!
    Never thought of that. Sounds like a good idea
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Im not big on spoons for silvers....or any salmon...i prefer to use the original standby: the silver/silver super vibrax! the smaller the waters, the smaller the size i will use....for the little clearwater tribs of the big su, i will use #2 #3 or #4 fished very slowly close to the bottom, ive also picked up some trophy rainbows and dollies this way....for the salt i like to use the 5 or 6, fished at a pretty high speed, with stops and starts.....sometimes if they wont take that, switch it up with a blue body and a red blade....it rarely, if ever, fails to get your limit...for the kings i also like to use tee spoons and wiggle warts or kwikfish...but of course most of the time in swifter waters you can find me driftin and flippin a yarn or roe setup.... no better way to find em!

Default Thomas Bouyant

In salt water and just jig. But beware, the original treble on these is weak and the big silvers will keep them!

Also like magnum pro-kings.
    Paul

Times exist when you can't beat an 11" flasher with a 4/0 Coyote Spoon for cohos (and kings) when sport and commercial trolling. Beats the hell out of rigging bait for coho's. I think I used about a 36" leader. They pound it. I was using a chart/glow spoon.

I've fished my share of coho spoons power trolling, and they always seemed to bite on one particular color better than the others.. And it changed season by season and sometimes week by week. Hard to say what color will work best next year. Tequila Sunrise is a fairly consistent producer though.

When sport fishing, I don't like to run just spoons, but I like a flasher down there to draw in fish. When commercial trolling, I always have a flasher on top and at the bottom of the spread.

Default Hopkins Lures

I have had the best luck on silvers with Hopkins Lures in silver and gold colors. Silver seemed to work best on bright sunny days, and gold seemed to be a bit hotter on overcast days. They are made of stainless steel, so they don't rust in saltwater. I actually like to rig the silver or gold "Shorty 150" with barbless treble hooks as my all around favorites.

I haven't had one fish come off the barbless hook unintentionally, and it makes the job of handling the fish so much nicer, and safer, too. It also makes releasing fish much easier, and less damaging to the fish. I like the fillets from black rockfish (black bass), but I throw back the small ones. The barbless hook makes super quick work of the release.

The Hopkins Lures have good swimming action for trolling, and also work really well for jigging. I only found the Hopkins lures last year, and since then, they have accounted for a boatload of silvers, about fifty nice fat black rockfish, quite a few yellow eyed rockfish (red snapper), three ling cod, including one keeper, and a seventy pound halibut on my salmon rod. (I went out four times last summer).

I bought some of the larger ones, since I had such good luck with the 1-1/2 ounce lures, and I plan to jig for halibut and ling cod with them this summer. I am getting my usual severe case of February spring fever at the moment, even though it is snowing out here in Eagle River!

Good Fishing to You!

Jim

Default salmon spoons

I use the coyotes.Char./kelly green and the glow/Char. gotta troll them fast,like 3 mph,I put them back on a flat line with a 4 or 5 ounce trolling wieght 5 or 6 foot leader. Lots of silvers eat it.Hooks sharp ! Big siwash,barbless. Frank

In MHO nothing beats a hoochie flasher combo for trolling except bait. Purple haze, green, and pink.

Default Chartruese/Chrome

Like 270ti said - I've fished coho for years in SE salt (for both fun and for money) and when towing spoons found that every year a coho "favorite color" was a little different. Usually the color preference was even different between offshore and inside waters. When fishing commercially, we would ran through all of the variations on the boat every day to try to keep up with what the coho "liked". Now that I am a "sport" fish collector, I start with what I like and change them out until I find what the coho like! ;-]

The "Tequila Sunrise" IS a good bet most of the time as are some version of chartruese with cerise - I have always tried to have the latter on my boats as a default. Spoons work best at higher speeds than most people use for flashers or dodgers. If you are not seeing action - troll a little faster and see if it makes a difference. I have been using Crocodiles lately along with my stand-by #5 Canadians. I've been using little chrome flutter blades on a split ring on the hook rings and I am seeing more fish on those units than w/o. Straight points over kirbed points seems to work better, IMO. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast