Thread: Bunkers or Posts for the tractor launch

Default Bunkers or Posts for the tractor launch

I'm having my trailer modified a little and I'm adding posts on the front, but I'm thinking now that bunkers may be better. Opinions? Hit me.

Default Bunkers are best

You never know how the water is going to be when they pull you out. Sometimes the weather IS the reason you are getting out. The bunkers keep your boat straight and having them the full length will let the boat drop right on the trailer where it is supposed to be and they can jerk you out in a hurry. Make sure they are built incredibly stout. I have had mine broke off several times and finally decided it is cheaper to launch in Homer and head back that way it that is where I wanted to fish. But by all means overbuild them.
    John

Charterboat Operator

ideally you would want bunks 10' +/- with smoe good stout poles as guide ons at the rear of the trailer. the bunks will usually go under water to get your trailer deep enough to retrieve you. with the currents running and not always the smartest tractor driver, you have the chance of getting a good cross current landing. i have 3" steel pipe w/ 1/4" walls, dont have to use them very much but they are nice to have when you need them
    my suggestion would be 3-4 feet above the gunnel height.
    one of the biggest thing that i would reccomend for beach launching is a push plate on the fron tof the boat instead of your standard roller. the boat often has a tendency to push back on the wave, and you dont want to miss that roller on the next

Both. I put poles front and back and bunkers between. Bunkers are hard to build and mount beefy enough to keep from bending out. I like having the beefy front poles to take up the shock and get me started on the trailer. The bunkers keep me on till I can anchor the landing between the smaller front poles.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Default I will second BOTH bunks & poles

If you put just poles, during the extreme weather and tides you will come in and glance sideways on the poles and pretty soon your crossways on the trailer. If you put just side bunks you will have the problem of not having anything to start your initial guidance when the waves are rough and your tractor bozo has backed your trailer to far in the water - now the bunks are appearing and dis-appearing during your approach.
    BOTH IS BEST - and all have to be beefy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    Both. I put poles front and back and bunkers between. Bunkers are hard to build and mount beefy enough to keep from bending out. I like having the beefy front poles to take up the shock and get me started on the trailer. The bunkers keep me on till I can anchor the landing between the smaller front poles.

Ebb,

Are you going to tractor launch your new boat? I was considering this with my new one, but wondered about the size as well as the outdrive. I know they launch some similar size boats there, and I was wondering about your thoughts on this since we have similar boats.

Jim
    Last edited by jrogers; 02-27-2009 at 18:23. Reason: typo

I picked up my boat in April last year. Since then it has been launched by the tractors about 20 times. I know the tractors at Deep Creek have launched up to a 32 foot Glacier Craft, Mine is just a 27 footer so they have no problems with it.
    MMSI#

Found a picture of the set-up. Even with this set-up you can see the bunk has been bent out a little.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MMSI#